Might I have Haemochromatosis?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi folks,

I've been suffering from depression, anxiety and insomnia for two years.

For the past year, I have been drinking heavily on-and-off, and recently I had liver function tests that showed elevated liver enzymes (AST and GGT), though the latest tests - from earlier this week - have shown that these elevations are reducing again as my heavy drinking has ceased.

However, over the past couple of months, I have also developed increasingly unpleasant physical symptoms, all of which are getting steadily worse:

- Excessive sweating, especially while and after eating, and clammy skin;

- Joint pain;

- Inner thigh pain;

- Strange burning sensation / pins and needles in the hands and feet;

- Abdominal pain;

- Indigestion;

- Skin rash;

- Loss of appetite;

- Fatigue;

- Nausea;

- Occasional diarrhoea;

- Blurred vision and faintness;

- Generally feeling very unwell.

I have been looking into these symptoms and Haemochromatosis is one of the conditions that seems to fit with a lot of these symptoms.

I have no knowledge of either of my parents or sister being affected by this condition, but is it possible (or likely) that I could be suffering from it?

Would liver function tests or full blood count routinely test for elevated iron levels in the blood / body?

I saw a family doctor on Monday (two days ago) and she gave me a physical exam (as well as organsing the blood tests), and she said that I was NOT suffering from lasting liver damage due to the excessive drinking, but, as I seem to get sicker each day, I am going back to the doctor's tomorrow morning.

I am worred about coming across as a hypochondriac, but I have never felt more physically unwell in my life and need to get to the bottom of this as I am absolutely miserable.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gav, first, no, a full blood count does not test for ferritin iron, you should ask for an Iron Studies/Panel.  This will give you ferritin iron (normal <300 for="" male),="" transferring="" saturation="" %="" (normal=""><50 for male), serum iron, and tibc.  ask for copies of all your tests to take home with you.

haemochromatosis can cause fatty liver disease, precursor to cirrhosis if you don't change your way of life, and so can a poor life style (i.e. alcohol, too much takeaways, hot chips, soft drink, sugar and starchy food and not enough greens).  it can usually only be diagnosed with a scan, not bloods - it is sneaky.

haemochromatosis can make you feel like a hypochondriac especially when the dr does not test for it early.  my dr took 9 years, and in the meantime one of my hips broke up (that clinched it), iron overload in heart and other organs.  thankfully, i missed out of the liver problem.

everyone's symptoms can be different.  if two of those levels in the iron studies are high, then you should be given a genetic test.  some drs require two iron studies tests incase the first was wrong.

either way, whether diagnosed with haemochromatosis or not, you can repair your fatty liver by eliminating all those sugars and starches.  you might have to google to find out which foods are high in starches.

i just can't eat them anymore, now that i find that i feel a lot better and look a lot better since eliminating them.

let us know what your results are when you are tested.  happy to answer any more questions.

good luck, keep persisting with the diet, you will get used to it.

for="" male),="" serum="" iron,="" and="" tibc.=""  ask="" for="" copies="" of="" all="" your="" tests="" to="" take="" home="" with="" you.="" haemochromatosis="" can="" cause="" fatty="" liver="" disease,="" precursor="" to="" cirrhosis="" if="" you="" don't="" change="" your="" way="" of="" life,="" and="" so="" can="" a="" poor="" life="" style="" (i.e.="" alcohol,="" too="" much="" takeaways,="" hot="" chips,="" soft="" drink,="" sugar="" and="" starchy="" food="" and="" not="" enough="" greens).=""  it="" can="" usually="" only="" be="" diagnosed="" with="" a="" scan,="" not="" bloods="" -="" it="" is="" sneaky.="" haemochromatosis="" can="" make="" you="" feel="" like="" a="" hypochondriac="" especially="" when="" the="" dr="" does="" not="" test="" for="" it="" early.=""  my="" dr="" took="" 9="" years,="" and="" in="" the="" meantime="" one="" of="" my="" hips="" broke="" up="" (that="" clinched="" it),="" iron="" overload="" in="" heart="" and="" other="" organs.=""  thankfully,="" i="" missed="" out="" of="" the="" liver="" problem.="" everyone's="" symptoms="" can="" be="" different.=""  if="" two="" of="" those="" levels="" in="" the="" iron="" studies="" are="" high,="" then="" you="" should="" be="" given="" a="" genetic="" test.=""  some="" drs="" require="" two="" iron="" studies="" tests="" incase="" the="" first="" was="" wrong.="" either="" way,="" whether="" diagnosed="" with="" haemochromatosis="" or="" not,="" you="" can="" repair="" your="" fatty="" liver="" by="" eliminating="" all="" those="" sugars="" and="" starches.=""  you="" might="" have="" to="" google="" to="" find="" out="" which="" foods="" are="" high="" in="" starches.="" i="" just="" can't="" eat="" them="" anymore,="" now="" that="" i="" find="" that="" i="" feel="" a="" lot="" better="" and="" look="" a="" lot="" better="" since="" eliminating="" them.="" let="" us="" know="" what="" your="" results="" are="" when="" you="" are="" tested.=""  happy="" to="" answer="" any="" more="" questions.="" good="" luck,="" keep="" persisting="" with="" the="" diet,="" you="" will="" get="" used="" to="" it.="">

haemochromatosis can cause fatty liver disease, precursor to cirrhosis if you don't change your way of life, and so can a poor life style (i.e. alcohol, too much takeaways, hot chips, soft drink, sugar and starchy food and not enough greens).  it can usually only be diagnosed with a scan, not bloods - it is sneaky.

haemochromatosis can make you feel like a hypochondriac especially when the dr does not test for it early.  my dr took 9 years, and in the meantime one of my hips broke up (that clinched it), iron overload in heart and other organs.  thankfully, i missed out of the liver problem.

everyone's symptoms can be different.  if two of those levels in the iron studies are high, then you should be given a genetic test.  some drs require two iron studies tests incase the first was wrong.

either way, whether diagnosed with haemochromatosis or not, you can repair your fatty liver by eliminating all those sugars and starches.  you might have to google to find out which foods are high in starches.

i just can't eat them anymore, now that i find that i feel a lot better and look a lot better since eliminating them.

let us know what your results are when you are tested.  happy to answer any more questions.

good luck, keep persisting with the diet, you will get used to it.

>

• Posted

Hi Gav,

Your discription could have been written by me.  I went through the same things and finally got tested for HH the results arn't back yet as they had to do a re test because they lost the first ones so they say.  I was just recently diagnosed with NAFLD(Non Alcoholic Fatty liver disease) and Diverticulitis (bowel disorder) after having a dye treatment/contrast CT Scan for my abdomen discomfort.  Maybe you should ask to get one. No one in my family had ever been diagnosed with it either but after ready the symptoms I spoke to my mum and found out that we had similar ones plus she had some I didn't, so she is going for the testing too.  If it does turn out I have it my husband is going to get the testing because it will tell if our children could have it or be carriers.(it is a hereditary disorder).  It can be frustrating trying to find the answers but be persistant.  My original doctor kept passing it off so I found a new one and he's been a great help.

Best of luck,

Sunni

• Posted

Hi again folks.

I saw a GP (a Locum - not a regular doctor at the surgery).

He was reluctant to do iron tests and I couldn't persuade him to.

He showed me and talked me through recent blood tests (done over the past few weeks).

He said that, if I had excess iron in my body, two of the results would have been abnormal - but they were completely normal.

My liver function tests are returning to normal (GGT down from 121 to 72 (normal 0-61), AST down from 96 to 25 (normal 0-45)); kidney function normal; blood sugar normal; blood pressure normal; in fact everything else in the LFT (from three days ago) and FBC (from 15 June) normal.

He says my symptoms of general malaise are due to the body recovering from the alcohol abuse from June and July, and will disappear gradually.

Nonetheless, as I had blood taken for a repeat FBC test on Monday past, but the hospital couldn't process the sample, I had blood taken for a repeat test today.

I guess I should feel reassured - if only these unpleasant symptoms would disappear!

• Posted

Were the two tests in the FBC, iron and haemoglobin?  If they were, it is not necessarily true what the dr believes.  An Iron Studies is a window to a lot of health issues.  I don't understand drs reluctance to do this test, it does not cost much.

My husband's gp does this test on all his patients.  It is a sign of a good dr.  Now my gp does it too (since I told her).

Glad to hear your other tests are returning to normal.  The GGT and AST are signs of alcohol damage.  Google them for a full description.

• Posted

Yes, Sheryl, I know what GGT and AST are indicative of.

I guess the doctor was looking at my GGT and AST returning to normal or near normal values, and all the other LFT and FBC tests being normal.

I have not felt quite as bad today, just lots of sweating, some soreness in joints, inner thigh (and genitals, oddly enough) and a vague feeling of being unwell.

• Posted

Sorry, I did not mean to sound know it all, but it is amazing the number of people on these forums who do not know what various test terms mean.

I once saw my mother's LFTs on a screen and they were lit up like a Las Vagas street strip.  Now that I am deironed (i.e. ferritin low but still increases, so I still have venesections to keep it that way), I have a 'smallish' glass of red wine with dinner - it is medicinal.smile  The polyphenols in it helps reduce the uptake of iron.  Of course a cup of tea/coffee/milk with a meal will do the same thing!

As I sprout about HH a lot, (I run a support group), a friend told me of her nephew (20's) having genital pain, ended up having exploratory surgery which revealed nothing.  I told her to get him to ask for an Iron Studies test, and it turned out he had HH!!

• Posted

Hi Sheryl,

No need to apologise.  Until abbout 2 weeks ago, I'd never heard of Gamma GT or AST!

I guess I should feel reassured because the GP said my liver function tests were all normal, except for GGT and AST, and they were now returning to normal too.  He said they were elevated due to recent heavy drinking, but them normalising indicates no lasting liver damage.

He also said all of the full blood count results were normal.

All of these symptoms of malaise came-on quite suddenly in-between the spells of heavy drinking in June / July, and since I have stopped.  Again, the GP was adamant that all of my symptoms are due to the recent very heavy alcohol intake and withdrawal from it.

Do physical symptoms of Haemochromatosis tend to come-on suddenly or gradually?

If I tell you that I am Northern Irish (my family going back generations are all from Belfast), you will probably feel even more strongly that I should get tested to at least rule it out?

• Posted

It does tend to sneak up on males who just think they are 'getting old' and unfit, until they become impotent and they definitely want something done about that!!!!

Some find out early due to alcohol problems.  Yes, 1 in 80 of Irish heritage have HH (some don't yet know it), and 1 in 7 are carriers.  The Celts and the Vikings (Scandinavians) are said to have started it all.

The Celts moved through western Europe before settling in Ireland, Scotland and Wales spreading their dna, then the Scandinavians moved in and mixed their dna too, as they did throughout Europe.

I know my great grandmother came direct from Denmark and the other half on my father's side came from Scotland (however from their build and colouring - tall, fair, blue eyes - there was a lot of Scandinavian there too).

My husband who also has HH, was born in Scotland but his parents have Irish heritage.  And of course, our son, who could not miss out, has a compound of both our HH genes.  He was diagnosed after I was, and at 22 had a ferritin level of 772 so he was heading for disaster.  He has problems that he does not want to talk about.  He does not want to believe his mother knows ALMOST everything there is available to know about HH!!!!.  The main thing of course is to be diligent with those venesections, and he lapsed on that.

While in Australia, there is a lot of reluctance, denial and ignorance on the medical side about HH,  I am amazed that it occurs in Ireland and Scotland too - I read it time and time again.  Of course a lot of English have it now too due to mixing it up.

Do people in Ireland talk about it?  Or do they keep it a secret?  I mean, you must be bumping into people with it all the time.  In the rest of the world, 1 in 200 have HH.  Although, it is still 1 in 80 among those with Irish Heritage wherever they now live.

• Posted

Hi Sheryl,

I had never heard about it until a few days ago, when I was Googling the symptoms I have been experiencing.

However, these symptoms have appeared quite suddenly, about a week after I stopped the very heavy drinking.  Thankfully, impotence is not amongst them (though I'm not much in the mood to put that to the test the way I'm feeling).

Is profuse sweating a symptom?

I also heard that knuckle / finger joint pain is an early symptom and almost certainly indicates Haemochromatosis.  I don't have that symptom.

All the medical opinion I have sought just says that I am suffering from alcohol withdrawals and they will go away over a short period of time.  The locum GP who I mentioned iron overload to just showed me a couple of test results from a FBC done in June and said that, if there was iron overload, the tests would have been abnormal, and they weren't.

• Posted

Yes, some complain of profuse sweating, feeling too hot, feeling too cold, etc etc.  Possibly because their testosterone has been affected similar to 'manopause', or early menopause in women, i.e. the pituitary gland hormones are affected.  The hypothalamus (which sits just above the pit gland) is also affected, and this gland is responsible for our autonomous activity like thermal regulation.  This is still affecting me.  Also because it affects our immune system.  It is different for everyone.  The classic sign is liver damage.

My liver is ok, but my blood was so thick with iron that it was not feeding the fine capilliaries that feed the bone of my hips, so the bone up and died and broke up (osteo necrosis).  So I had to have both hips replaced at a young age.

I did get the classic symptom of a 'pinging' pain in peter pointer years ago which is the start of arthritis in the finger joints, so I started rubbing emu oil into my fingers and this arthritis has not affected me very much - whether because of the emu oil (known to be very good for arthritis because it is very fine) or just pure coincidence.

I also had left side chest pain for the 12 months leading up to diagnosis - cardiologists could not find anything (knew nothing about HH either) and that dissipated with each venesection.  But I do get arrythmia when my ferritin level suddenly goes higher (I get the arrythmia first - then find out later that my levels had gone high during that period - so it is not psychological).

Then a  pituitary gland tumour caused by iron overload in the pit gland.  And numerous other things because my dr took 9 years to diagnose.  In the meantime, a lot of damage was done due to the toxic iron in my organs.

So everyone gets some, but not all listed problems, and some get none at all  (for the time being anyway).

However, I hope that your symptoms do go away as you recover but it is good to have awareness of it, and if down the track you find you do have HH, it is not so bad as long as you get treatment early.

It is so good to hear someone admit so easily that their health problems are associated with heavy alcohol intake.  Most people are in denial.  So good on you.  I bet you won't be going there again too soon.

Good luck, and come back again if you have any more queries.

• Posted

Thanks, Sheryl.

I see no point in hiding my wildly OTT alcohol consumption over the very recent past from these forums or from doctors or nurses from whom I'm seeking advice and help.  To conceal it would just have such people barking up the wrong tree and the problem persisting.

On the other hand, there's probably a risk that anything and everything can now easily be dismissed as due to alcohol, when the reality is that I was not drinking very heavily for THAT long, and don't plan on doing so again (not that anyone can be 100% certain that they wont).

If (and hopefully when!) these rotten physical symptoms disappear, I will obviously feel an awful lot better.  That would also obviously show that it has been alcohol withdrawals and is not anything else, right?

Unfortunately, our surgery runs an appointments system (there used to be "open surgery", where you could come down in the morning and wait to see a doctor, though it might not be the one of your choice) and it can often take two weeks to get an appointment.  I booked one yesterday with the GP who I normally see for next Friday, on the basis that these symptoms are not going to go away by then.  He is a very empathetic doctor and I'd not be shy about mentioning worries about something like Haeomochromatosis to him.

• Posted

You are right, we do get labelled in their notes.  Mention feeling depressed and that is your problem, and the cause, ALL the time.

I went back and looked at your list of symptoms - you will see those same symptoms listed for menopause!!!lol  Same as when I see women complaining of these symptoms, I want to tell them to get an Iron Studies done because their symptoms are the same as HH.  Especially when women usually start iron overloading when they go into menopause.  But they don't want to know about anything else.

I started overloading immediately I had a hysterectomy at age 38 but my dr took 9 years to diagnose me.  I was so fatigued, with whole body pain, that I was staggering and slurring and I am sure my work colleages thought I was having a sip during the day.

So we got your over indulgence symptoms, menopause symptoms, and Hh symptoms all sounding the same.  Just a simple Iron Studies would clear up some of the ??? immediately.  My husband's dr tests all his patients as it is a window to a lot of health issues, not just HH.  He is a good dr.  My gp now does it too.  I had to teach her about HH.

With our health issues, I found it better to stick to a private dr so the service we get is not disjointed.  After a few years of loyalty, they often 'bulk bill' us instead of charging the full fees.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.