Migraine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have suffered migraine for 2 years following a very bad tonsillitis.  The symptoms have progressed to the point where I have had to give up my high pressured job and my memory is becoming increasingly and worryingly so bad that I cannot remember what I did a few minutes earlier, names of medications etc.  The main symptoms are a tearing feeling at the top of my head, liquid running down the back of my throat causing me to cough or swallow as well as noise intolerance which at times is unbearable. I saw a neurologist for 6 minutes. I am seriously thinking of ending it all and I have weighed up all the pros and cons.  I cannot take this any longer.  I cannot believe this is just migraine.  I cannot understand why nothing is helping.  My life is all day pain.  If nobody can give me some reason to try something valid then its goodbye.  I have had Gabapentin with moderate  benefit, Candesartin with no benefit, and stopping all the usual painkillers.  Sumatriptin did not help.  I feel as though there is fluid moving around my head when I bend down. An ENT consultant said there was nothing wrong. Please can someone help.sad

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Liz

please go back to your doctor and demand an appt with a another consultant...keep a diary and show them exactly how it's affecting you... .I am taking Soduimn Valproate 200mg. It's looking that I will lose my high pressured job, been advised to do an 8 hour shift, couldn't even do that at the moment. I've had this episode now for 7 weeks. HM is a bitch.

ive thought about what you have but the pros outweigh the cons.....remember you are not alone. Are you in the UK?? xx

• Posted

Fortunately I did keep a diary and left it with the consultant.  He did not read it before or during the time I saw him.  I really felt low at that time and several times since, and now as the medication change suggested by my gp has actually made me feel worse.  I am going to have a go at magnesium gliconate - nothing ventured.  Thanks for replying, some of the people out there are much worse than I am so I should think myself lucky.
  • Posted

Hi Liz, please, please go back to your GP or neurologist. Although I haven't suffered the same symptoms as you there have been times especially in the middle of night when the pain is so bad that I would have taken anything to stop the pain. From what I get from this forum, migraines don't seem to be cureable but are definitely manageable. I have only just got mine manageable after 15 years ( I know that doesn't give you much hope) but it may be different in your case. You may find you need to try many different medications to find one suitable for you. Very good luck to you.
    • Posted

Thanks Kath. It is heartening to know other people care enough to answer.
  • Posted

Hi Liz,

So sorry to hear you are feeling so desperate.  Don't give up hope of getting some improvement.  I too had to give up a high level job due to migraine and vertigo (migrainous vertigo).  I have many of your symptoms including ccnstant tennitus and a vibration.  The worse thing is when you are unable to get a diagnosis to help you to understand what is happening.  Five years ago, I collapsed and ended up in hospital.  I was lucky to see a consultant on the ward who was able to tell me what was happening and it was then she diagnosed migrainous vertigo.  It is important for those around you to understand that your symptoms are real and for the medical profession to work with you to try and find the most suitable medication for you.  I'm telling you my story to give you hope that you can get improvement.  I still suffer from excrutiating migraines but they are not as regular as at first.  I was unable to drive for two years but am now able to.

I've had lots of alternative therapy including, chiropratic, which has helped me tremendously.  My current medication is Almotriptan, which I take on the onset of a migraine, and this has also helped.  I have no medical experience but I wonder if you have any kind of infection remaining after your tonsilitis. Do go back to see your GP.

Please believe that you will eventually get the condition under some control, even if you are unable to get a complete cure.  Your memory will improve as the pain decreases, pain fogs the memory.  Try to deal with things day by day.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks Veemae  It is good of you to want to help.  I am going to give a couple of suggestions a go and hopefully things may settle down. I do not feel so alone in this any more.
  • Posted

Hi Liz

Sorry to hear you are feeling so bad

But just for your info, I'm on Gabapentin and from what I have read and what my rheumatologist tells me, Gabapentin is well know for virtually destroying the short term memory of some patients. Many complain of not being able to remember things from 30 minutes ago.

My memory is pretty shot too and I had to leave a career in the Police Force after 15 years as a direct result because I could miss or forget vital information.

My GP is now changing me to Lyrica which does have more side effects than Gabapentin but, I just hope it gives me my memory back.

Might be worth a chat with your GP.

I wish you well

• Posted

Hi Marcos  I thought it was the constant jangling in my brain but perhaps it is the Gabapentin after all.  My memory is shocking now.  Some days I  just want to die.  The medication he is trying now is worse currently but someone suggested magnesium gliconate which might be worth a try.  Thanks for your help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.