Migraine and Raynauds

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, 

As a chronic migraine sufferer im just wondering if there is anybody else who also suffers both migraine and raynauds? Maybe some sort of connection?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi ashlie I have raynauds and in the process of possibly being diagnosed with migraines, just waiting for an MRI and for my next appointment with my neurologist in a couple of months.
    • Posted

Thanks for replying, I never thought of it being some sort of connection and didnt really want to mention it and look stupid lol, if im honest i totally forgot i had it when i had my neurologist appointment. I think i need to push for a scan as after 10 months of migraine i havent even been offered one and it seems that everybody else has. 
    • Posted

I honestly don't know if it is connected. I've only seen my neurologist once and he booked the scan but I have a lot of neurological symptoms to go with the headaches, don't know if that's why they've booked mine? Do you have many symptoms with your migraines?
    • Posted

i have sickness, watery eyes to the point where i have to squeeze my eyes together as they are so irritable and also dizziness when i turn my head, thats without migraine too so im not sure if thats connected. When i have a really bad migraine i cant walk in a straight line and feel like im going to pass out but i need to mention these to the neurologist as i wasnt really prepared on my 1st appointment and forgot all sorts of side effects etc. I shall have to mention them next time i have an appoitnment but my doctor is pushing for botox treatment as i am on the highest amount of pills i can have etc. 

Im just glad i came accross this forum as i thought i was alone and i find not a lot of people understand what we go through 

• Posted

I made notes in my phone and took that with me (although my neurologist didn't listen much) so maybe you could do that and then you won't forget. Also write questions down you want to ask him, I'm going to do that next time and use questions he can't just say yes to. I've had a really bad head all day any my painkillers haven't work but all I've got is codeine which my gp give me before I was referred, paracetamol and ibruprophen. I hope it's gone fore tomorrow because I really don't want to be at work and feel like this!

These forums are really good and it's amazing how many people have different symptoms and everyone is nice and understanding which helps loads x

• Posted

Hi Ashlie

I too suffer from raynauds and have been unable to receive any medication to help it because I suffered from migraines but only may be 3 or 4 a month (this is because raynauds medication opens up your blood vessels which then can cause migraines - i think this is right)  However since last july my migraines went from 3 or 4 a month to daily chronic monsters with either migraines/migraine auras and I am currently on sick from work trying different meds out.  I have never linked the 2 before - do you take medication for your raynauds because it could be that?

Take care  Claire

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for replying, I dont have any medication for Raynauds as it isnt at the stage where i cant cope with it, my migraines are really chronic having around 20 a day so that is the most important thing for me to sort out at them moment, i just wondered if there is any correlation as to wether Raynauds and Migraines are connected somehow.

• Posted

20 migraines a month not per day lol
  • Edited

Hi, I too have Raynauds and have wondered the same thing.  My nueurologist has not indicated there is a connection.  I have 24/7 migraines and am currently going off most of my medication to try and rests lush a baseline and maybe try a new regime. I am not successful with any of the standard migraine treatments. I have had several injuries to my neck and wonder how much that contributes.  I know the search is long and frustrating.  I hope you find your answers.  
    • Edited

I am too weaning myself off one of the medications i am on as they dont seem to be helping at all anymore, so will see if i have any options left to try. I have physio too at the moment for my migraines and he has mentioned how my neck is really clicky/crunching when i move it so the neck injuries you mentioned actually mat have a lot to do with it also. Good luck searching for your answers too
  • Posted

I think I can see how they could be related. I get migraines (head pain, nausea, intolerance of sound, light, movement, smells) that are partly triggered, ironically, by becoming over-heated, which I've experienced living in a warm climate. My own theory is that it may have something to do with my blood vessels not coordinating correctly to dissipate heat, similar to them constricting too much in the cold.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/6143540/

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.