Migraine Aura

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 65 year old male.  I started getting migraine aura's about 5 years ago, the first of which happened at the end of a ferry crossing from UK to France.  I have noticed that a high proportion of these auras occur after ferry crossings.  An example of: in 2014 two trips were made to France, one in July and another in September, and between August and October I had 10 of these auras.  Does anyone have a similar experience or comment.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Could be the motion of the ferry has triggered this.
    • Posted

Thank you Liz, that is what I am thinking is a possibility after all this time. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced a similar thing after boat travel.

• Posted

Hi Maxwell, I shall be 60 this year and have suffered with migraines for over 40 years. I used to get them with aura about 2 or 3 times a year but as I have got older they have become more frequent ( 1 a week ) but without the aura. I have crossed the channel by ferry and been on cruises, I have been fine accept that the last cruise was very choppy and I had a migraine nearly everyday, so it may have something to do with the motion. My migraines are now being managed with pizotifen which I have to take daily and although I'm still getting at least 1 every 7-10 days they are now managable with just paracetmol. I think this is the best it's going to get. I off on another cruise next week so fingers crossed it's not a choppy journey. Does this help? Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.  I hope that your next cruise is migraine free.
  • Posted

Hi Maxwell,Like you travelling on any type of boat in any kind of weather triggers my Hemeplegic migraines.Even on a return trip from France on a sea as still as a mill pond and very misty I was violently sick,severe migraine, loss of walking , speech and semi paralysis.

Even travelling in cars and trains can trigger HM both day and night.

Air flights aren't so bad not sure why though?but any long journeys by any 

means triggers attacks.Speed especially flashing past houses or tree lined roads with sunlight shining through even in the comfiest car triggers hM.

One bit of advice try wearing correct lenses sunglasses, even reflections

on water or pavements cause me nausea effects.Always drink plenty of

water sipping throughout the journey.I know it means stopping at loos more

often but dehydration often triggers attacks.Does different smells trigger

your at attacks, ie smell of petrol? Coffee?perfumes?bleaches and cleaning

products? Air freshners? Deodorants, shampoos and shower gels or talc?

Combine any of those with a journey for me and I'm in trouble.

• Posted

Thanks Yvonne, I think I will try the eurotunnel next time I go to France. I don't get a severe headache after the aura and haven't noticed being affected by smells.  Your HM seems to be very much worse than the symptoms I experience.  Good luck in the future.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.