Migraine medication alternatives/Pizotifen side effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All, 

I have been suffering with really bad migraines for the last 2 years.  

After trying loads of different medication I am now on 2mg of Pizotifen.  I have been on this for 4 months and put on over a stone.  Looking on the internet it appears I am not the only person who has put weight on and I am trying to lose it for a wedding.

I am seriously considering coming off the medication, has anyone noticed weight loss when stopping Pizotifen?  Does it come off as easily as it goes on?

Even on this amount of medication I am still getting migraines and am waiting for a refferal appointment.

Has anyone found any alternative thereapies (i.e. accupuncture) helpful whilst being drug free?

I would really appreciate some other opinions please

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Daz,

I didnt have much luck with Pizotifen either, not so much weight gain, but so sleepy all day!

My current medication is verapamil and pregabalin, you can ask your GP for them, but I guess you have been told to wait for the referal.

I have had weight gain issues with pregabalin too.

Until recently I did a lot of exercise and had meal replacement shakes, to aid weight loss.  This was very beneficial, so if you can do some exercise and have these meal replacement shakes, I would recommend it.

The brand I use is USN diet fuel.

I can also recommend Indian Head massage too btw.

Good luck and hope wedding goes well

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for the reply, yes i have been trying to eat healthy and going to the gym 3-4 times a week and still the weight is piling on.

I suspect the GP may say wait until my appointment comes through so considering stopping the medication to see what happens.

Thanks 

• Posted

Hi Daz

I also take Pizotofen but along with Amytriptiline each night for migraine, and they certainly do the job, I very rarely get one now, just now and again, I've also got a problem with my weight but don't know if it's anything to do with that or not, but my migraines were so bad that I certainly don't want to stop them to risk them coming back again

I hope you manage to find the right pain relief real soon x

• Posted

Sorry meant to say Das
    • Posted

Glad it wasnt just me who made the mistake with the name! :-)
    • Posted

I only realised when I saw your comment, will have to pay more attention next time lol smile
    • Posted

Thanks it's good to know it is not just me.

Dawn

• Posted

acupuncture helps.  also try pinching the muscle where the shoulder meets the neck at the back. You will find a tender spot there (on the side where the migraine usually starts in your head), pinching and rolling this muscle between your fingers really helps between acupuncture sessions.
    • Posted

Thanks I had wondered this and started looking into it as I have heard that it helps.

Dawn

• Posted

Hi Das18,i have aslo been put on Pizotifen about 6 weeks ago and i have also put on nearly a stone,unfortunatly that is one of there main side affects along with tierdness as Personal20 mentioned.

I have found myself waking up about 3am and raiding the fridge and cupboards and craving sweet things which i didnt before.

But i have got to say,my migraines from hell have gone,i get the slight headache sometimes (which i can handle) but not the full blown dizzy,nausea,migraine.

Im going to start a proper diet today to see if i can shift some of this weight.

But Pizotifen have done the job for me.

I guess you have to try and sum up the 2,migraine from hell or a few extra pounds.

• Posted

Thanks for replying. I have been really tired too and hadn't linked this to the Pizotifen. Getting up in the morning is really hard could easily sleep for.10-12 hours a day.

Yes I need to the way up the pro and cons. The thing is my dose has been quadrupled and I'm still getting them. I had my first migraine on Friday with aura and felt awful. It makes me want to see what other options there whilst I wait for the referral. ..

• Posted

Hi Dawn,

That med made me really tired too, I cant remember gaining any weight though.  It never helped my migraines at all.  The neurologist put me on Pregabalin and Verapamil as preventative meds and Sumatriptan when I get an attack.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.