Migraines

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. Any advice welcome. I gave a 12 yr old son who has suffered from occasional migraines for a couple of years. They are now increasing in frequency and intensity. GP has prescribed tablets to reduce symptoms and referred us to the hospital for further investigation. At the moment have no idea of cause/triggers but seem to occur in afternoons/evening. He just wants to go to a dark room and sleep mainly to avoid nausea. Would like to hear from other parents who have children in similar situation. Foods/stimulants to avoid?. Treatment that has worked? Possible questions to ask Consultant when we do eventually receive an appointment. No family history of migraines. Thank you.

Ps. My son has not reached puberty as I was thinking change of hormones because of the increased frequency of migraines. But just guessing.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

That's horrible for a 12 year old. I think my migraines started about the same age.

When I was younger they were definitely hormone led. I also found lots of foods were triggers and the problem was these changed over time, making it difficult to keep up with what not to eat.

it might be worth starting with a food diary. Your son will have to let everything he eats and drinks. Record the headaches and see if you can identify links.

a second way is to eat the most basic diet. Porridge ( nothing added) rice, vegetables, chicken, fish. Water only to drink. Try that for 3-4 weeks to see if the migraines stop.

my triggers are the usual coffee/ chocolate/ alcohol / any and all spices but also things as diverse as ginger and pineapple. Citrus fruits--- especially oranges, including juice, can start a headache within minutes.

its worth finding out if foods are triggers and avoiding them altogether. 

• Posted

Hi thank you. I've tried the food diary but unfortunately nothing stood out as a trigger. My children and I don't eat processed food and take months just to eat the Easter Eggs!!!

Chicken and vegetables are the main staple ingredients in meals. I'm at a loss. Just wish I was the one doing something wrong that I could fix. The only thing we can pin point it that the migraines come on latter half of a day which results in him going to bed as early as 4pm then sleeping through until morning. Ice pack on the back of the neck relieves some discomfort. As a mum I just want to make it all go away for him. Migraines are affecting him as a person. I can see it. So quiet and down as it encompasses his life. Not knowing the cause worries him as well. Not knowing when the next one will kick in stops him wanting to go on sleep overs and school trips. 😕

• Posted

I had a few more thoughts after I wrote about good this morning.

some people find they are affected by the weather. I think it's to do with air pressure.

also lights. Could it be classroom lights? I had to stop shopping in one local supermarket as I always got a migraine after shopping there. I finally worked out it was the lighting.

could it be light from a screen? I don't get migraines using my iPad but for a few weeks I had another make of tablet ( can't even remember which one now) Even though I turned down the light on it I still got a headache after a short time on it. 

• Posted

Sorry ---should say I wrote about FOOD this morning.

and don't feel bad. You're doing all you can to help your son.

someone on here mentioned a teeth problem that caused headaches. Might be worth asking a dentist? 

You ou will find the cause, I'm sure, but it takes time and it's horrible when it's your child who is in pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.