Migraines are only getting worse

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all,

My name is Luke. I'm 22 years old and I have had the pleasure of migraines for the best part of my entire life (yay me!)

I'm here today to try and move forward as I'm only getting more and more concerned about my health. But I'm the type of person who would rather suffer before seeing a doctor (not sure why).

The background:

I've had migraines since I can remember and that was about 5 years old. My migraines would be distinctive during my time at Juniour school as I would have them every Friday without fail. My parents would go food shopping to Morrisons on a Friday evening after school and I would remember how the piercing light would burn my eyes with how sensitive they all of a sudden became. The pressure in my skull would be immense. We would go home, but not without some kind of bread for me to eat after I was sick from the migraine when I got home. The bread would always make me feel better after. Being sick release the pressure also.

That continued throughout my childhood until I became a teen and then they became less frequent. I found that my migraines would trigger from the following:

- chocolate

- banana

- long distance travelling

- stress/worry

- occasionally vimto, too

I've always said that these are "trigger" foods when explaining them to my friends. That I could eat 10 chocolate bars and be fine. But then I could eat just the one piece of chocolate and feel the crushing pain of the migraine attacking me.

Fast forward to this year...2016

Since April I've been experiencing a cluster of migraines. They first came on when I travelled to Spain (via air) where

I had a lingering migraine for three days. I went to the pharmacist and he gave me some really good stuff. I usually take Sumatriptan when here in the UK, as prescribed by my GP - but they always leave me feeling fuzzy and although they clear up the migraine, I am still left with an immense amount of pain. Anyway, I was given some tablets that aren't prescribed here in the UK called Hemicraneal (and I'm now told that they cannot be taken with Sumatriptan in any circumstance, even though I haven't). I took two of those and it cleared up the migraine within 30 minutes.

So I have stocked up on those.. problem: they make me feel sick & weak, often for days. So now I avoid taking taking them also!

My migraines have been really frequent and extremely harsh. And when I say harsh I mean paralysing. I have never had migraines to that extremity before. I'm talking 3 migraines a week. It isn't nice!

These have lasted right up until the end of September and I'm happy to say that I've been migraine free for about 2 weeks now! But there's other problems that I've noticed since these attacks:

1. My memory is shocking (short term). I find myself trying to remember what I did at the weekend when someone asks or I can't remember where I've placed something, forgetting people's names etc. For people that know me, I'm often described as "Luke doesn't forget anything" and I can remember right up to when I was 4 years old. But ask me what occurred last week, good luck trying to get an accurate answer out of me.

2. Focusing - I'm struggling to focus be it with my eyes or mind. My eyes keep blurring. I can't focus on what I'm doing. I can't think clearly...

3. Caffeine - I noticed that my caffeine intake was having an impact on the migraines so I've stopped with caffeine altogether. This seems to have helped a little

4. Hand eye coordination- I've become clumsy. Can't grip, can't do what I want to do etc. Not good.

5. Unexpected nostril blockage (cold like symptom) on my right nostril. I've tried everything to clear it.

6. Tiredness - I'm a very active person. I try my best to workout each evening at the gym and my job is very physical. I've never felt tiredness like I have before! I could nod off wherever. I feel, generally, unfit (even though I am not). I'm fatigued if you like. Just a general drain of the body.

Conclusion: I'm screwed!

But seriously... what could it be?! I'm unwell, I know that. My biggest fear of going to the doctors is hearing something I don't want to hear.

Family history:

1. auntie had brain tumour

2. Another auntie had some kid of "brain valve" problem where she had surgery to rectify it

3. Father has heart problems

4. My mother and sister also suffer from migraines

5. Granddads (on both sides) have died of cancer

6. My fathers granddad died from brain cancer

Any advice would be great!

Thanks smile

PS: I also study Thai language and over the past few weeks with my insrucfor, she has noticed a change in my speech, pronunciation and concentration.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Luke, only a Neurologist can answer your questions with any certainty. The stress you are putting yourself under worrying wont help your migraines. Ask your GP to refer you asap.

Aura causes a lot of symptoms there are days I cant find the right words, or write. My head feels full of cottonwool. With me everything is on my rightside, my ankle sometimes feels like sponge and I fall. Been told though its Aura.

Good luck

• Posted

Definitely get a referral to a neurologist,the stress and worry of the unknown can't be helping, however don't expect instant answers as, if you've read any of the other threads, it can be a lot of trial and error to find the cause or what works for you! My son is 20 and has suffered with a constant headache since he was 11 with several migraines a week, we now have an appointment with our 3rd neurologist this time at a headache clinic, hopefully this time he will get somewhere.

Don't give up and do take a copy of what you have written here as it gives a very clear picture of your problem.

Good luck

• Posted

If I did not know better, I could have written your post myself. I really feel for you.

Your current situation resonates with my own too.

Over the past few years I have been suffering with Hemiplegic Migraine. These for me manifest in the same way as stroke would. Previously it has only really caused me confusion and left side weakness. But the last one I had around a month ago saw me rushed to A&E with suspected stroke.

My face drooped, full left side paralysis, could not talk or put together a simple sentence etc.

As I also suffer PV and due to this am high risk of stroke it scared the life out of me. Thankfully all test came back negative and hemiplegic migraine was diagnosed.

Since then I have suffered increased forgetfulness, (it was bad before...now it is just a joke!) inability to say words that are in my head, daily headaches etc.

I do not have a doctor that is forthcoming in handing me over to the neurological team, and to be fair his care of me is sometimes questionable.

However I will keep pushing and attempt to get this looked into further as my migraines are now the worst they have ever been, and I at times feel I have borderline dementia.

I really do hope the best for you and would love to follow your journey as well as share mine in finding answers.

Take care, stay safe and good luck. We are not alone in our struggle xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.