Mild Abdominal aortic aneurysm of 3cm

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a mri done for back pain and they reported to me that a mild abdominal aortic aneurysm of 3.1 cm came out in the mRI. I would like any advice and communication from people not the VA. They are doing terrible on communicating with me.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I'm so sorry I understand totally,I just found out have an ascending arotic aneurysm 4,5 and they told me no running no sit ups roller coasters anything that puts strain on spine or can traumatize chest and heart rate max is 121 whole life feel different now,a family history,i wish I could help you,i don't quite understand all of this yet myself, many here will be able to help you, Is a good support place I haven't quit figured out how to get to different I need yet! The good news is we know ,more dangerous not knowing ,they will monitor it good luck!

Deb

• Posted

Thank you so much Deb you have helped me way more then the VA has since the MRI showed the aneurysm and I pray that yours will stay at the point it is at now. I understand from my research that at least we know and we can do something about and maybe not cause our death of not knowing. Thanks so much for you post and if I can help you in any way please let me know.

​Good luck

Stan

• Posted

I'm surprised a small AAA would cause back pain but then again I'm not a Doctor. When first diagnosed mine was 4cm ( medium ) and over 2-3 years grew to 5.5cm whereupon I had evasive repair surgery. You might find the following link offering more background information. Any questions about my experience, just ask.

https://patient.info/health/abdominal-aortic-aneurysm

• Posted

I know that probably this site is not for good news but I would like to report good news because so many people came to my side when I reported the issue and asked for help. I got it and thanks, I had the Ultra Sound done yesterday and the Aneurysm only showed 3.0 instead of 3.1 and my doctor said to me I had nothing to worry about as I am living my life for the last six years without drinking and I have never smoked in my life not even one. We don't know where this Aneurysm came from unless it was passed down to me from a relative that was somewhere up in my family line. So today was a very exciting day for me and a great wake up call for me to eat the right foods, do daily exercise and take great care of myself. I want to live and I want to help anybody that needs some support on this site face the unanswerd questions if needed.  My back issue was not anything to do with the Aneurysm and I know now how important it is to find out that you have one to monitor and live right with. My doctor also told me that new operations have came forward and made it easier to help people with larger Aortic Aneurysm. So good luck to each and everyone of you and I will stay a member and keep in front of me the issues that come along with this medical problem.

• Posted

Aww that makes me so very happy to hear!!

Thank you so much for sharing!

• Posted

Hi I’ve just been diagnosed with a 3 so am I to believe the same as you nothing to worry about any reassurance would be great 
    • Posted

They are normally very slow growing. My one was found by chance in 2004 when it was 3.1cm. It took until 2015 to reach 3.6cm but then scanned at 4.0 cm last year and yesterday at 4.2cm and still within the safe range. As I'm now 83 I expect it will not grow enough in my lifetime to warrant concern or surgery.

This link : https://patient.info/doctor/abdominal-aortic-aneurysms

and the related information in the right hand column will give you all you need to know.

The only problem my one has caused me has been in getting travel insurance. As soon as you mention it their alarm bells ring and all with the condition are assumed to be at immediate risk as to them size does not matter and prompting questions 'Has it bled/has it been operated on' .

• Posted

Hi did they put you on any medication I still work as a Gardener but thinking of retiring in may im 64 now and mine also was found by chance thanks for the info 
    • Posted

First time I asked about medication the vascular surgeon suggest that I take a statin but qualified the remark by saying they will probably give you the s***s and muscular pain. I tried statins for two periods of about six months and gave up because of muscular pain.

I went to an osteopath about back pain and she would not treat me when she read that I had the aneurysm on the CT scan report. I wrote to the surgeon and he assured me that the treatment would do no harm and wrote to my new osteopath to that effect.

• Posted

Sorry to be a pain mate but have you took it easy or have you just carried on with your normal life I’m struggling with the acceptance 

• Posted

Yea I was on statins awhile ago for my diabetes but come off them about a year ago they were spiking my blood sugars strange why they wouldn’t treat your back were you otherwise healthy from finding your aneurysm till now just curious cos I’m type 2 diabetic and have terrible IBS but apart from the migraine s im otherwise ok lol 
  • Posted

Yea I was on statins awhile ago for my diabetes but come off them about a year ago they were spiking my blood sugars strange why they wouldn’t treat your back were you otherwise healthy from finding your aneurysm till now just curious cos I’m type 2 diabetic and have terrible IBS but apart from the migraine s im otherwise ok lol 
    • Posted

I'm Type 2 as well but  Metformin and other drugs did not agree with me so I try to be careful  with what I eat. 

Were it not for my lower  back and a numbness in my left foot when walking I might be regarded as healthy. Until the  problems suddenly started in June 2015 I used to walk for miles on the South Downs and went to the races every week. I believe that it was started by being prescribed Bisoprolol for my erratic heart beat. My other side effects went when I stopped taking it but the numbness only partially went and my gait changed to compensate.

The osteopath thought that jerking and pulling at my joints might burst the aneurysm.  

• Posted

Sorry to be a pain mate but have you took it easy or have you just carried on with your normal life I’m struggling with the acceptance 
    • Posted

Its a shock when you are first told as you think that you have a ticking time bomb inside you but you have to accept the reassurances that it is not going to explode. After while you won't even think about it until the letter comes for your next scan. The staff often welcome me with here comes the man with the small one:-) 

• Posted

Thanks very much for replying to my questions have a great Xmas and new year take care 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.