mild erythemamultiforme

Posted , 3 users are following.

I went to the doctors after i had some strange looking things on my stomach. I couldnt describe them as spots because they were in more of a shape of a target spot. About 2 weeks before i got these, i had been sunburnt on my stomach and legs. When i went to the doctors, they said i ahd a very mild case of erythema multiformi. They showed me some pictures of it, and being 15, i was really quite worried about what was appearing on my body. The doctor told me about what could have caused it, and gave me some medication to help it. It has now spread to my legs, again it is mild... but i am going to visit the doctor again tomorrow.

All i can say to those of you who read this is, if you, or anyone you know start to et red looking targets on any part of your body, then try not to worry, and make sure you get medical help. Your doctor should give you something to stop the infection getting worse, and talk you through what it is, and they will answer any questions you may have.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I know it's a scary proposition, but you may have read that many people who have EM also have HSV (type 1 or type 2) and that EM can be an overreaction or "allergic reaction" to the HSV virus. I did not even know I had HSV-2 until this past summer when I broke out with cold sores, oral ulcers and more, but they're all basically EM with multiple mucosal involvement. Mine follows an HSV prodrome symptom (burning, tingling) and intense migraines that require stronger medication than ibuprofen, so I'm in the process of working with my doctor to find the culprit medication (if in fact it's the medication and not the HSV reaction).

I develop those target lesion/blisters on my legs, shoulder, palm of one hand, tops of hands, and more. If you develop it again, ask for a swab of the blister. It's better to know what you're dealing with whether it's a virus or bacteria. The treatments are so different. Giving steroids for the HSV is exactly the wrong treatment and can make it worse. It's tough to treat a sore without knowing the exact cause, whether it's gram positive or negative bacteria, too, will determine which antibiotic is best.

I fall just outside the average age for EM (I'm in my early 40s), I'm female, and I've been married for 20 years. Before all of this started I had no idea of HSV, EM, or any of it! My husband does not have HSV, so apparently I have not given it to him in 20 years. I just never considered the possibility.

Acyclovir, Valcylovir, and other medications can help the HSV but is not a cure.

I hope you have received help from your doctor to get EM under control. Sunburn is a trigger for many with HSV to have an outbreak and it makes sense that it could also trigger EM.

Good luck!!

• Posted

Hi! I have EM sad it's truly scary and oh so painful. I've had the major form of it, my first break out lasted for weeks. This was about 5 years ago and have had a break out maybe once a year since. Not as bad as the first but still annoying and painful.

I do have HSV but the crazy thing is that I have had it for 12 years and just within the last 5 yrs developed EM. How are you and what helps with pain and healing of the soars? My mouth gets over 20 sores and lips get horrible sad 

I am actually now going through an episode now and I am totally depressed. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.