Mild Mitral Regurgitation

Posted , 6 users are following.

Recently diagnosed with mild mitral regurgitation. Is this something I actually need to pay attention to? It sounds like a minor problem that many people have?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think mild mitral regurgitation is quite common, I wouldn`t worry about it.

Unfortunately I have severe mitral regurgitation but because of other medical problems, I am not suitable for surgery.

• Posted

I have had it for many years. Young doctors and students like to listen to it:-)

I later developed aortic stenosis and had my aortic valve replaced. I asked why not do the mitral valve at the same time. They said no need as it is not a problem. My replaced aortic valve gets an annual echo cardiogram and I can always pick out the gurgle of the mitral valve compared to the perfect replaced valve.

• Posted

I've had mild/moderate mitral regurgitation for several years, but I also have

a congenital heart defect, so I get yearly echos and I see my card every 4 months.

It really depends on if you have co-existent problems, or if you have mitral regurgi-

tation from a disease process like rheumatic heart disease or some other disease

entity.  Hope this helps answer your question.

• Posted

Hi Lindsay,

This is a common problem and often does not require any treatment just monitoring. Basically the value between the left ventricle (the large one that pumps blood to the body) and the left atria (area where oxygenated blood is returned to the heart from the lungs) is not closing completely and leaks blood back into the atria. Sometimes your doctor will put you on asprin (or other drugs) to reduce the risk of blood clots forming in the atria. You are at an increased risk of developing atrial fibulation (afb) and heart failure but thoses things are easy to monitor for. You can check your own pluse to make sure it stays regular and that it is not a-fib. You should also look out for lower leg edema and your blood pressure to monitor for signs of heart failure. Heart failure or congestive heart failure (CHF) is an inability of the heart to effectively pump blood forward. This can cause blood to back up into your; lungs making it hard to breath and into your veins leaving your lower legs puffy and swollen with fluid (edema). These are things that happen if the regurgitation is severe.

Just monitor your pluse to make sure it is regular and monitor your lower legs for edema. Some people will also watch their body weight and if it rises significantly (5 to 10lbs) in less than a week then they should see their doctor. If you are interested in more closely monitoring it you could also buy a stethoscope and have your doctor or nurse show you how to hear the regurgitation. Rest assured many people have this and never even know it. As always you know your body better than anyone and you should trust yourself to know when something is different.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.