Mineral Metabolism Clinic

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I was referred recently by my GP to have a Dexa scan. I have now received a letter to attend the above mentioned clinic. Does anyone know what this type of clinic does?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Whereabouts are you? I have never even heard of this! I am about to check it out online.
    • Posted

It is Bone and Mineral etc and does include osteoporosis. Found this out online.

You need the results of your DEXA scan. It depends how bad your tscores are. Even if they are not good it does not mean it is unmanageable.

I have chosen the natural route for the time being.

I take supplements including vitamin D3, vitamin K2, magnesium, zinc and calcium sometimes. I have foods such as avocado, prunes, jelly for the gelatin, bone broths and cucumber skin.

Start your own research. Read up on osteoporosis as much as you can.

• Posted

Hi Fern,

​I do the same as Kathleen, take the vitamin K2, the icalD3, magnesium etc.  I had my Dexa scan back in Feb/March and was diagnosed with osteoporosis, which is a scary thing.  Could the clinic still cover osteoporosis, under a different name?  Could you ring the hospital to find out?  Or, alternatively, ask your GP.  Just a thought.  Good luck!

​Kind Regards

Carrie

• Posted

It is called bone and mineral etc. I tried to send the link but it was pulled up by the moderator.
  • Posted

Do you think this might be a research clinic where people are being followed to find out how well they respond to what we call "natural" treatment, as opposed to standard OP meds?

• Posted

I dont really know but the doctor involved in the clinic is a biochemist. If I am diagnosed with op I do not want to end up taking more medication as I suffer from COPD, and what I take for that is more than enough.

I much prefer to go down the natural route. When my GP suggested it might be op I started taking k2, D3 and magnesium. Also we have always had a good diet so I don't need to change that. I am still waiting for my appointment so I will let you all know what the outcome is. I waited nearly six months for the DEXA scan so maybe by Christmas I'll have some news.

• Posted

I was reading something the other day which actually indicated fractures are prevented more by helping people maintain their muscle strength and a good sense of balance than by any OP meds!  So I'm all for taking the bone building supplements and getting the right kinds of exercise (like walking, Nordic walking, tai chi).  How much are you able to do?  If you are limited in the physical activity you can manage, at least try to find a place where you can learn tai chi. 

• Posted

With my COPD I am limited to what exercise I can do because of shortness of breath. I do try and walk every day as hill walking was one of my passions before my diagnosis.

The problem I have now is after walking for a certain length of time my back aches and I get very tired.

• Posted

Hi Anhaga,

Now that would be a good idea if it was smile

Kind Regards

Carrie

• Posted

Hi Fern,

?Yes I'll be very interested, especially as my recent visit to see a Rheumatologist didn't go so well.  Sounds like you're on the right track with your supplements smile

kind regards

?Carrie

• Posted

Hi Anhaga,

​I MUST look into tai chi....I am trying to increase my ballet exercises amongst others! 

Kind Regards

​Carrie

• Posted

Hi Fern,

?There are some exercises in the NOP booklet that might help, even just sitting in a chair one can exercise our legs and getting up and down from a chair without using our hands helps our balance and legs. Walking a short period then maybe gradually build up, only when your COPD is not too bad obviously.  Jumping is supposed to help too, though I must admit not good for my arthritis. lol

?I can't walk for too long as I have M.E./Fibro as well as asthma, but I've found some days I can do more than others.  Pace yourself gently and take care.

Kind Regards

?Carrie

• Posted

Hi Carrie

Thank you for your comments.

Onwards and upwards I keep saying to myself.

Regards

Fern

• Posted

Carrie, I looked up "jumping" because, of course, my idea of jumping is just that - both your feet leave the floor and land again.  But apparently there are variations on this.  One of them, unfortunately, involved getting one of those stupid little trampolines, which I think is terribly dangerous.  But there also seems to be a way where you kind of go up on your toes and then down again on your heels without actually becoming airborne.  Maybe that's what we should try?  I haven't yet.  I find I have so darned many exercises to do now I really dread the thought of adding more, especially as I am, unlike some others, able to walk reasonably long distances.  

• Posted

Hi Anhaga,

?Ahhh...hadn't heard of the up on your toes and down on your heels....I presume you sort of roll back onto your heels?  I might have a go...and let you all know how I get on smile  Like you, got a pile of exercises to do, but not for the feet/legs.....I sort of make up as I go, which is not necessarily the RIGHT thing, but am just trying, like certain ballet ones. 

Thanks for checking up on that!

Kind Regards

?Carrie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.