Minor attack but can't seem to shake the virus

Posted , 9 users are following.

Had a full blown attack of shingles 2 years ago having unwittingly being getting minor shingles attacks for several years previous. For me the tell tale signs are strange cold sensation in my chest (which I now know is the virus effecting my nerves) which I'd always previously mistaken for a chest cold. Other symptoms include feeling cold, very slightly feverish, sometimes tiredness.

On this occasion i.e. since October 16th I've been getting the above symptoms and after a few weeks started getting prickliness in different parts of my body and not just on one side, though I've not had the rash or pain TG.

After a delay of a week or so of the first of the symptoms I went on to complete a course of Acyclovir and have been taking lysine and B12 1000mg daily since. But I seem to be no nearer to feeling better 7 weeks later and it's driving me nuts. I'm generally quite a healthy person and have not been under any undue stress. I'm hoping the Acyclovir and supplements I've been taking have stopped the worst of it but it seems to be taking as long to get over as the time I had it full on, I don't understand. My only full blown shingles attack took me a good 10 weeks to get over from start to finish. And even for a month after that attack when I would go out for a jog I would get the shingles nerve sensations firing off after my jogging session.

Anyone know if the supplements (lysine & B12 help to ward off Shingles at all or am I just peeing money down the toilet with this quackery. There are quite a few sites on the internet saying it works but guess what they have a vested interest in saying so as they so happen to sell the stuff as well.

As you can probably tell from the tone of this message I'm really fed up of not being able to get out and exercise smile

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This what my dr told me to take . As well as an complex , fish oil,and hydroxuzine for the severe itching. Numbing he'll help,as well as Zotc sunburn spray and benedryl liquid.

there are so,many different things OTC can help,ask your pharmist. I don't know your allergies or health history as well as you dr.

i was also given the immunization after a break out. Helped with the duration and recurrence . Last time my dr mentioned I needed a booster that the immunizations don't last more than 8-10!years. 

There re is also a new immunization out which is better than the old type.

this is a terrible disease and there needed to be more research.

there are many Ned's for nerve tingling ask your doctor to run a blood panel,to check for vit decencies.

• Posted

This attack hasn't progressed to the pain or rash and I can put up with the nerve tingling it's the general overall feeling of being unwell. I'm not a good patient sad

• Posted

why not have the shingle vaccination? not 100%, but better than nothing.

An aside, Glaxo Smitb Klein submitted Shingrex to the US FDA in October for approval...said to have a much greater efficacy.

• Posted

Yea, think I'll wait for the new drug rather than pay out £300 here for the old one. Fingers crossed it becomes available here in the UK. Anyone have any idea when that might be?

• Posted

Dear F

Glaxo-Smith-Kline submitted Shingrex for approval October 26, 2016 to the FDA. I would assume, but we know what that means, that they also submitted for approval to the UK agency and European Union agency.

It takes 6 months to 2-1/2 years for approval.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks will be keeping an eye on this for sure. 
  • Posted

Hi I had shingles may 2025 , since episodes of headaches n general feelingnlike I got hit by a truck

. Again I'm tired achy , headache n eye pain shingles were on my scalp n now I've got 2 cold sores on my lips ??? What's up

• Posted

The purpose of my thread was to illicit advice regarding my experience of shingles not yours.

Sorry if this sounds rude it's not meant to be but for the sake of forum etiquette and the fact you would get better exposure by starting a NEW thread of your own. 

• Posted

how unkind, how very selfish, how downright rude...I regret having responded to this thread
    • Posted

Ever since I had the shingles, I have been getting little "shingle like" blisters occasionally on my lip, hairline of my forehead, and in the same spot behind my shoulder blade that I had it originally. My doc says they are not related. She said my lip was a cold sore and my hairline was a zit. No it wasn't!!! I know what a zit feels like, thank you. I think it is all related as I feel tired and mildly sick when these things appear. Good luck and ignore that other person who was rude. She/he probably doesn't feel well. It makes us angry😂

• Posted

You missed one....How logical !!  wink

Nope wrong on first 3 counts, oh and I can't blame it on feeling unwell either cheesygrin

Unlike other forums I contribute to I've noticed people on here seem to jump on a thread and fork it instead of starting a thread of their own which would make more sense. This allows people to decide on responding based on the thread heading. 

Oh and it stops threads from getting too unwieldy and diverse.

Just my 2 cents that's all. So Azbella if I offended you I'm sorry. Michelle & ihavenoname seemed to have lost perspective and got offended for you.

• Posted

Thank you Michelle for sharing your experience of 'cold sores'. I too have a tendency to get what seem like cold sores in conjunction with shingles - and my shingles is nowhere near my head! I put it down to the cold-like symptoms that have accompanied my outbreaks of shingles.

What seems clear to me is that people's experience of shingles, and the symptoms that go with it, is extremely diverse and wide-ranging.

• Posted

I think part of the problem is that people interacting here are frequently in quite a lot of pain and distress and aren't always thinking very clearly or logically. I realised in hindsight, when I first posted in this forum, that I had posted in the middle of someone else's thread. I had misunderstood how the forum worked.

• Posted

It's no big deal David I'm just used to Tech forums where folks stick to a certain etiquette. I know if I want to get feedback specific to me I start a new thread where the heading conveys my main issue. That way I will get the best possible chance of being helped smile

• Posted

I think social networking has probably ruined forum etiquette for us. And I suspect people posting here are probably so relieved to find somewhere they can share their experiences, and be listened to and believed, that etiquette isn't the first thing in their thinking.

I cut my teeth in the old newsgroups back in the 90s where internet etiquette featured large. It had all gone by the board with the rise of Facebook and Twitter! It's good if we can cut one another some slack. 😊

• Posted

Ihavenonickname... you're right that was unkind and outright rude, how dare that person be so inconsiderate of somebody else's feelings we're all in the same boat we all have the same pains some suffer more than others some have different questions than others and for them to only think of themselves like this blog is only about them or that one person is absolutely absurd I'm sorry that you're suffering and I'm sorry that there is evil people out there that are so rude and obnoxious anyhow have a great day and I hope you're feeling better soon

• Posted

David, now you are making me feel bad redface

TBH if facebook were to disappear tomorrow I might even miss it as much as I dislike it. But it contributes way too much noise to my day and I suspect everyone elses.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.