Mirena coil advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had the mirena fitted at the beginning of January 2015. It's been pretty good overall up until now. I get a period every month but the last one took my by surprise (it was a week early). It lasted just over a week and then 5 days later I had the most awful pain in my groin and nothing I did got rid of it.

The next day, bam, I started bleeding again. The only thing warning me was my boobs were tender which is what I get before my period each month.

It's now been 8 days and I'm still bleeding. It's not loads but is starting to frustrate me.

Is this normal for the coil to do this 8 months after insertion when bleeding is supposed to lessen after 6 months?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The Mirena, or for that matter any IUCD, can give you these kind of abnormal bleeds. I can't understand your groin pain and wonder if its related at all. If your bleeding does not settle fairrly soon I'd get in touch with the doctor who fitted it to see where you should go from here.
    • Posted

The pain the day before did just feel like a really bad period pain as it was in the same area as what it is when I do get stomach cramps. I've an appointment booked with my doctor for another reason on Monday so will bring it up with her then.
  • Posted

Hi! I've had the Mirina for 4 and a half years, due to be changed in January, I've not had any bleeding, not one drop, no pain, it's been brilliant! I suffered the most awful, crippling pain and heavy bleeding before, I can't say enough how great this coil is. ..

My 18 year daughter now suffers the same agonising pains as I did, and is awaiting an appointment to have the mirina fitted, I hope she too has as much luck with it add I have.

Those who are new to it, bare with it, some just take longer to adjust....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.