Mirtazapine 15MG.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, guys.

I was taking Mirtazapine 15MG for over a year before my GP tried to switch me up a notch to 30MG but I preferred the 15MG as it relaxed me and helped me sleep. So she decided to stick with the 15MG. I decided after feeling much better that I would go for therapy instead and come off the Mirtazapine, however my GP wanted me to switch to sertraline in the meantime while I wait for an appointment. So I did, but after three days I did not have a good reaction to Sertraline or it was the Mirtazapine withdrawals kicking in. Either way, I ended up in ER convinced I was dying, but they found nothing wrong with my heart, blood pressure or anything. 

I decided not to touch any medication ever again and for the next 8 days I didn't but it has been absolute HELL. I do not feel myself. I NEVER felt this way before I took Mirtazapine or even when I was on it. I felt this has made me worse. I'm convinced it is going to go on forever. I feel wired, like there is pressure in my brain, I have the shakes sometimes and vomiting. 

I decided to talk to my GP and she said since Mirtazapine was working for you before let's start up that treatment again and I asked "will this feeling go away?" and she replied "yes". I took one last night and slept really well after I was up all night shaking and couldn't sit still. This morning I was sick but my GP said it's from my other tablets (for a urine infection) and it could be a combination of withdrawals, anxiety and those meds. I'm really getting inpatient and I feel like I'm not going to wake up or I will never feel myself again. This medicine has really fcked with  my head and I no longer enjoy the things I used to do, I can't even concentrate, I find my mind wandering off to think of everything negative it can find and then I drown in my negative thoughts. I try to fight it and tell myself I'm okay, but I'm not. I'm not okay. I feel like hell. 

My question is, since I stopped Mirtazapine before will it have the same effect as it did now that I'm on it again?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Trying to understand, did you just stop Mirt' - no slow weaning off?  If so, you should really know that you can't just stop this med' without severe withdrawal symptoms which you seem to be describing.  

If I've read you correctly, you stopped for 8 days then went back on to 15 mg of Mirt, right?  I need to know you are serious because the name you have chosen is offensive, maybe change it if you could, quite poss' the reason you have not had a reply from others, which is unusual.

Stay on it, stay on 15 mg and do your homework on how to withdraw, it takes 3-6 months, the slower the better - doctors in general do not know this, we're all helping each other on this forum and passing it along the line to the next person who is asking for help and advice.

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Sorry about the name, i didnt think about that. And yes I am deadly serious.

I cut the pill in half for a week then stopped completely.

If I restart it, will my symptoms disappear? rolleyes

• Posted

Yes I think they will ... Google withdrawal from Mirtazapine - choose the link to this forum & read the advice given. As i suggested above - go slow, the safest is no more than 10% every 3 weeks or better still every 4 weeks - and if you feel stable you can lessen the amount, but if you're feeling the WD wait for it to subside before going lower.

Wishing you well

• Posted

Have you done this, Calmer?

It's day 2 on my Mirtazapine, it has helped me with my sleep but I really want to kick this derealization feeling, it's irritating me and frightening. 

I guess I did the whole weaning myself off wrong because I cut the pill in half for a week and then stopped cold turkey, so I guess that  is bound to bring me severe withdrawal symptoms. 

Thanks again. 

• Posted

Better name !

No I havn't done it but I've been gathering info' for when I do.  Have you heard of the CITA protocol method of withdrawing?  CITA is or was an established charity run by professionals advising poor people like us (!) or the best way to wd from all AD's and sleeping tablets.  

I picked up some excellent advice on this forum.  The "derealization" you have is norm' for Mirt - all I can say is look long and hard at the method and then consider a good time, when not too many stresses are due.  Are you in the states?

• Posted

I'm in the UK, I actually tried to call CITA but it said they were no longer in service. 

Are you on Mirtazapine as well? Also, I'm kind of frightened that the derealization will continue now that I am back on Mirtazapine. Its scary. I don't really care about the shakes or feeling nauseous, I would prefer those over derealization any time. It's the worst symptom I have ever experienced. I'm hoping just the same side effects come back with Mirt, like increased appetite and sleep. 

I really thought nothing of it when coming off these meds, I have read before they are safe when overdosing and such so I did not think they would do anything if you quit taking them. I was never this bad when I first started taking them. 

• Posted

first of all hi... i want to ask u why u took mrtrazapine ? for depression? for insomnia? i ask this cause i want to ask something-regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.