Mirtazapine 3.75 withdrawal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Some of you may know me, or be familiar with my history. I have had hard road with withdrawals. The last dose I was on was 3.75, and had to get off of it because of heart related side effects. I took my last one 47 days ago. I am having abdominal pains / cramps / bloating, palpitations, fatigue, sleep problems, dizziness, headaches, and generally sick. If you have got off at 3.75, and don't mind sharing, would you either post or message how the WD went - symptoms, length, severity. I know that no 2 people are the same with regard to WD, but this was ordered by my cardiologist for my heart health, and this will be my last time. This is my third attempt. Any response is appreciated. Regards, David

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi David

I'm on day 19 wd from mirt 7.5 last day and 15mg before that. I have been searching hard for an average time frame. I know we are all different, but that should not stop us from finding an average time span. Like you I had to stop abruptly, it's hellish and 47 days of this David....you deserve much praise for your courage.

When I have searched discontinuation, I get nothing tangible to hold on to! Si on this forum has been wonderful, he is now feeling on the mend after a month. Other reads, mention 5 months or more! Are you getting any good days at all?

I will keep searching David, I wish I could find some statistics on discontinuation average time frame.

how are you today?

♥♥♥

• Posted

Lorraine. I slept all night last night for the first time since this started, and although I still woke feeling bad, I feel that one of the keys to getting through this is the break that your brain and body gets when you are sleeping. As far as the rest of the day, abdominal cramps / spasms / bloating / pain / palpitations / fatigue / dizzy / headache / and generally sick. But, maybe a little better than yesterday. How about you? This is my third attempt, the second was 7.5, and it was hell. I honestly had given up hope and thought that I was going to die. I went to the Emergency Room several times, only to be sent home with the doctors telling me that everything looked OK. The only thing that it accomplished was a huge hospital bill!
    • Posted

Hi David

i really feel for you. I am hanging on by a hair!! Today taken two anti sickness tabs + diazepam. Slept from 11.30

Till 2.30pm which is not like me. I sleep fairly good at night but do get nightmares.

feel so unwell still David and in my mind I'm going to crawl to 28 days and if no better may need to rethink. Fed up feel so tired, weak, dizzy, no appetite and loads of ice cold pins and needles. Depression seems to be present also. I am so impressed you have made 47 days! Day 20 for me tomorrow. Yesterday was bad I tried to go shopping with my daughter, 15 minutes after getting there, I asked her to drive me home! That feeling of something strange happening in my health, accompanied by the thought of passing out. So straight home and took to my bed. This evening I have felt quite well for a few hours.

How about you David? How are you managing the days whilst enduring the withdrawals?

Thinking and praying for you♥♥

• Posted

Hi David,

Remember me? I did come off Mirt entirely and although no serious side affects, my depression never lifted one bit. I was supposed to up the dose to 30 but the cholinergic affects were so bad at 15 that I darent maintain it at 30. 

However, problems with my son's low mood to deal with, especially following a close friend's death, made life very intense and I knew I was spiralling into the abyss again.

I restarted Mirt and the same horrible side effects just paralysed me. I am now considering going back onto Prozac but I don't feel these work anymore and the 'straight jacket' affect of them is also so demoralising.

Clearly we have a hereditary tendancy towards depression and anxiety in our family as my parents also suffered.

My son is anti drugs and denies that depression is even real..This drives me nuts as a diabetic's insulin is real so how come a lack of serotonin isn't?

GP's simply arent experts in the field and it's always a 'suck it and see' exercise. 

The only experts I have come across are those on this forum. They've done their research very thoroughly and have been their own Guinea pigs too.

I don't even want to go back to my GP but getting a psychiatric referral seems impossible too.

I know my digestive system suffers the worse with any AD's but with Mirt it is so much worse and my body seems to go into an unresponsive toxic stasis!

All in all, I feel I can never get to grips with restoring my mood without wrecking my body!

Anybody know of a better drug than Mirt or Prozac, that has the least side effects?

• Posted

Hi David,

Let me share my experience and timeline. I was mirt for 10 month and tried several times to come off. My last dose of 3.75 was end of June last year. The first 1.5 weeks I felt great as many others stated as well. Then you can literally feel that your brain is runnig low on seratonin and your mood is going south. End of week 2 I felt sick with lots of anxiety. Sleep goes down to 2 hours max. This went on for about 4 weeks. After 1.5 month you are getting breaks once a while and feel better. The sick feeling goes away most of the time, but also so goes your appetite.

Things get gadually better, the worst are basically the first 2 month. Sleep improved after 6 month, but it is still not as before. Appettie came back to normal after 7 month for me. Other nasty withdrawal effects are periods of nausea after even I thought I am all done. This happened until 6-7 month later.

I am now 8 month away from my last pill and feel somewhat normal again.

Hope this info helps.

Regards

Georg

• Posted

georg, thank you for the reply. That is exactly the kind of information that I am looking for. Today is a little over 7 weeks, and I am still having mostly abdominal issues, anxiety, and allergy symptoms. Also, still having palpitations. I feel fatigued, and generally sick. I am hoping for some relief soon. Thank you again, David
    • Posted

Hi David,

hang in there, it wil get better. Try accupucture, massages and vitamin supplements to ease the pain. And lots of walking.

All the best

Georg

• Posted

Georg, you didn't mention abdominal pain. My main symptom has been abdominal cramps / spasms. Did you have any abdominal pains with yours? I've lost from 194 to 164.
    • Posted

You are very fortunate, for a large number of folks the abdominal pain / cramps are so bad it forces them to go back on the drug. That is why it took me three attempts. Even after over 7 weeks, it is a big part of my sleep interruption. I thought that I had cancer or some other awful disease, and had 2 abdominal CT scans at the hospital ER, one with contrast and one without.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.