Mirtazapine and Clonazepam

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a severe bout of Vertigo in July and with that came extreme anxiety which was ot dealt with.  The vertigo is gone but I still have the extreme anxiety and not sleeping.  Tried Ativan and did not work so ended up on Clonazepam.  Was tried on different SSRI but cannot tolerate them so they put me on Remeron 15mg for 3 weeks and then increased to 22.5 as was feeling hopeless.  This helped with the sleeping and hopeleness but we still cannot get the anxiety under control.  I take .75mg clonazepam in am and .5mg in afternoon if needed and then .75 or .5 in evening with Remeron.  My anxiety is a tightness in chest.  Anyone else using  a combo for anxiety and how is it working for them?  I have started to go back to the gym and walking the day everyday but still the anziety persists.  It is not as bad as when if first started but still there.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am glad the mirtazapine (Remeron) has helped with sleep. You may find that being on less than you are is better for that.   Clonezepam is a benzodiazepine - not recommended for long term use.

I take Sertraline (an SSRI) for anxiety plus 7.5mg mirt for sleep.  That works well for me other than the fact I need about 11 hours sleep a night. A combination of mirt with an SSRI or SNRI has a good reputation as one tends to counter the side effects of the other.      

• Posted

Hi there and thanks for the response.  I am on no other meds and SSRI or SNRI I keep getting adverse reactions which is why they started me on Remeron which I seem to be tolerating.  We increased to 22.5 because I started feeling depressed and hopeless.  I know Clonazepam is a benzo but it seems to be the only thing that helps the anxiety at this stage and even the dosage we cannot get so I have no anxiety.  In the last 5 months I have lost over 40 pounds which they think is due to the anxiety. Had all kinds of blood work etc and am healthy otherwise excvept for the chemical imblance now.  They just tried me on Zanac last week and had adverse reaction to that or panic attack whatever it was was not pleasant.  So back to Clonazepam and back to the doctor tomorrow. 
    • Posted

Hi Kathy. I can definitely relate to what you are saying. I started getting bad anxiety again while on 30mg Mirtazapine (it worked well at first). The doctor has got me to try Quetiapine in the last few days and the anxiety is MUCH better, only 50mg at nighttime. It is used for more severe conditions like schizophrenia but in smaller doses can be used for anxiety. Still early days but so far so good. Now have to ween off the Mirt. I also couldn't tolerate SSRIs and lost a lot of weight on them.

Hope this helps X

• Posted

Hi Jean - they did try me on Quetipine and I developed severe reacton.  Worked the first night and then started getting temors, half my throat was dumb as was my tongue.  So not an option. So maybe my combo might be what works for now. 
  • Posted

Hi Everyone, Hope that you are doing well. I just want some expert opinion about remeron and clonezapam. I was using clonezapam previously for almost 2 years and was taking it 2,3 times a week mostly on weekends with 1mg dosage.(the medicine didn't give me more than 6 hours of sleep) I was fine at that time and quite satisfied because at least 2 or 3 times in a week i have my natural sleep.

But from last sixth months i am very upset regarding my sleep pattern. My natutral sleep was gone and even clonzepam is not working( As it was working before). I consulted one doctor, initially he given me seroquel i tried it for almost 1 month but it was also not worth it.. Then he shifted me to Remmeron 15 mg one dose at night time, with an SSRI (Xeroxat, i didn't used it because only two days of usage starts giving me side effects). But i continued to use Remmeron.

Remmeron is quite better but when i take it my body getting jerks from time to time like for every after 15 minutes i got jerk(my wife really afraid of me these days ).Some days in a week (mostly on weekends) i got some uninterrputed sleep for 5,6 hours. but some days i won't(May be 2,3 hours of sleep). My job is badly effected. In the lunch break i take a nap of 1 hour just to make sure that my rest of day goes well. I am thinking of taking clonezepam 1mg with remmeron 15mg before bed just to give it a shot. Please guide me should i do it? or any other option. I don't want to take SSRI as the have adverse side effects( for me Sexual Dysfunctino is more often). Any single word of help will be appreciated. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.