mirtazapine dose increase

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I am currently on 22.5mg at night, my gp has told me to increase the dose to 30mg. Am I likely to notice any adverse side effects by doing this please

Heartbleed

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Since everyone is different, there is no sure answer to that one. Only opinions, and mine is no better than yours. I don't mean to give you a short answer, but the best psychiatrist on this planet couldn't give you a definate answer to your question.My guess is that if the 22.5 was doing the job, you wouldn't be considering increasing the dose. So were I in your shoes, I would try the increase, give it time to have whatever effect it is going to have, and then you make the decision. I am not a fan of mirtazapine, and am a little over 4 months into withdrawals from stopping it. But I have a friend who is on 30 mg, and has been for years, and swears that it is why at 77 she is still on the go more than a lot of people half her age. Go figure! David
  • Posted

Do you have any adverse side effects now? What are you taking them for?

Are you having good or bad dreams? 

I'm lucky, they give me loads of dreams which means I'm getting loads of REM sleep and no side effects apart from making me hungry but I only take them  for sleep, with amitryptilne for an extra kick and I've never have mental health problems. I asked my doctor for them specifcially to help me sleep.

I guess the only side effect I experience is the dream trigering intense emotion upon waking, like a nostalgic euphoria buzz kind of "remeber way back when we did this awesome thing" and it takes me a few minutes to realise the events only in the dream. epic EPIC dreams. love them.

• Posted

I've been on 30mg mirtazapine for 6 years with minimal side effects, and it has worked wonders in treating my depression and anxiety. I haven't had any weight gain, as some people report, and the only thing I've noticed is vivid dreams, but they haven't bothered me. The only time I've had problems was when I tried to withdraw it, but that's not urgent and I shall try again, more slowly, later.
    • Posted

So me switching to 30mg from 22.5mg should not be a problem?  I know everyone is different but in general not a biggy.  Did you start out at 15mg and worked your way up?  You also say it helps with anxiety?
  • Posted

Hi

Sorry for the delay in my reply. I thought it best to just get on with it and report back later

I didn't notice any serious side effects apart from feeling more tired and hungry after taking the 30mg.

I have noticed however that I don't seem to over worry and obsess over trivial things.

All in all I must admit I feel better than I did.

I shall keep you updated as I go along

Heartbleed.

• Posted

thanks for the post gives me hope in case my doctor increases mine tomorrow from 22.5mg to 30mg.  Did it help with anxiety during the day?

• Posted

I did notice that after my gp upped my dose to 30mg he perscribed me 1x30mg tab to be taken daily. This caused me to have a ssevere burning sensation in my stomach. I went bsck to my gp and he put me back on 2x15mg tabs to be taken at night. Has anybody else experience this?

Heartbleed

• Posted

Has it helped to go back to 2x15mg? Are you taking the orally dispersing tablets (dissolve in your mouth) or the film coated tablets? I take the film coated ones which say "swallow whole, do not chew". My pharmacist told me that these are film coated so that they DON'T dissolve in the stomach, so protecting the stomach from irritation. The drug is then released further down the digestive tract, I suppose.
    • Posted

Hi Pixie

yes I take the 15mg film coater ones. It states swallow whole and take with a glass of water. Those 30mg ones made my stomach feel as though it was on fire.

Heartbleed

• Posted

I can't explain it, perhaps someone else can. I used to take one 30mg tablet at night (with no problems) but now I actually take 2x15mg, and find that works just as well. The idea is that it would be easier for me to gradually reduce it, but i had bad withdrawal symptoms when I tried , so I'm now back on it. I've had other health problems to cope with recently.
  • Posted

I take 30mg at night, I sleep like the dead, I have very vivid dreams and I find that I eat even when I'm not hungry so I have had to stop buying as much food in.  I take Omeprazole which is a stomach liner as I take a few other medications which irritate the stomach.  You could ask your doctor for something similar.  I'm probably having my mirtazapine put up to 45 in a couple of weeks as I am still having issues with mood swings, anger management and just basically sitting and crying over nothing.
    • Posted

Hi

yes I take omeprazole as well as I too am on loads of othrr tablets as well. I found that when they upped me to 45mg of mirt my depression got a lot worse. I seem not to bsd on either 1.3/4 or 30mg of mirt. Although I still think I could fee better on another antidepressant only my useless physc doc won't change them. I hsve bouts of being suicidal and end up on suicide watch with the crisis team

Heartbleed

• Posted

I've rarely read a good review of someone taking 45 mirt.

Not  sure why but so many people get unwanted side effects on that dose but I'll ne proven wrong by those on  that dosage im sure. 

I think people who have a high metabolism could do the 45 without a problem. Good luck hope,you feel better quick 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.