Mirtazapine for nerve pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am taking Mirtazapine 30mg at night for burning in my feet

Lower legs and hands which gives me a good nights sleep.

At present I am having tests to try and determine the cause,

blood tests for various conditions have come back negative.

I am having a 24hr water test and awaiting nerve ending test.

Is there anyone out there with these symptoms finding that

this dose helps the pain during the day or if 45mg makes a

lot of difference.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Oh my goodness Woodie, that's a tough one, never heard of Mirt' being used as a pain relief like that, "off prescriptive" as GP's like to say.  I have heard of people taking Tramadol, did you ever try that?  Its just that Mirtazapine being used off prescription like that is like sending in a sledge hammer to crack a nut - sorry I don't mean to undermine your condition, its just that Mirt' is a drug normally used as an AD or Anti psychotic and is extremely powerful; and for most people hard to discontinue - so no I wouldn't increase.

How long have you been taking it?  

• Posted

Hi Calmer

I've only been taking Mirtazapine  since middle of June with no

side effects so far, started off at 15mg and then 30mg from last

week as prescribed by my doctor.  Initially I tried the usual drugs prescribed for this type of complaint, Amitriptyline, Pregabalin, Flupentixol

but all had side effects which I couldn't cope with. On reflection

I don't think I gave them a long enough trial. When you read the

patient notes for all of these type of drugs the list of potential

side effects are endless.

Do you suffer from peripheral neuropathy?

concern me 

Do you suffer with nerve pain

• Posted

Hi Woodie

No I don't suffer from peripheral neuropathy, I see there isn't a discussion thread for that illness on Patient.co.uk, only notes explaining it.  No I don't have any nerve pain ~ I'm very familiar with Mirtazapine, took it for a year before starting a slow taper which has been for 9 months now, can't just stop this med' ~ it requires a stead slow tapering.

I wish you well, I hope your condition improves.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply and wishes. Can I ask have you had

any hair loss with this medication. I have seen a lot of comments

about this on various forums.

• Posted

Wow sorry to hear this! Hope you find the root of your problem!! I've personally never heard of remeron being used to treat anything other then sleep or depression

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.