Mirtazapine not working any more

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I've been taking 15mg of mirtazapine a night since the end of march due to severe anxiety and insomnia it was working really well and was out like a light 45 mins after taking it however its starting not to work and not making me sleepy any more and im waking every night at 1 so getting 3/4 hours sleep again. I was going to the gym hoping that would make me sleepy at night but it was making me over tired so temporarly stopped til my sleep gets back on track. Feel like im in a no win situation ATM. Wondering why it isn't working like it used to also im not really wanting to go on a higher dose due to weight gain sad

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sometimes Mirt' can poop out after being on it a long time, but 6 months isn't very long.  Have you taken any other meds?  Changed your routine, undergone additional stress?  Changed Diet?  I know antibiotics can interfere, as can pomegranite ~ you can always google interactions see what interferes.  

How long has this been for?  

Wishing you well  smile  

• Posted

You could try taking LESS mirt (eg 7.5mg) - as that may be more sedating. 

Best wishes. 

• Posted

If it still has ur other symptoms under control id stick on it an c doc abt helping u sleep
  • Posted

I take a small dose (0.5mg) of haloperidol at bedtime, and that relaxes me for sleep. I also have some zopiclone to take if I'm still awake at about 1am, but I very rarely need it- i've used 10 tablets since they were prescribed 5 and a half years ago.

• Posted

Forgot to mention I'm also been on 30mg mirtazapine and 225mg venlafaxine for over 6 years, very successfully.

• Posted

Thank u guys for your replies i think i will go back to my gp last week as c wat they say. I was put on it for sleep issues and anxiety an has helped with those up until now. There hav been a few changes i had 6 weeks off for summer and went back over two weeks ago and struggling with it and my 3 year old daughter started nursery. Trying to stay away from zopiclone as i formed a habit for this after my dad died and struggled coming off it. X
    • Posted

Me to amanda how did u get off the zop how much were u taking?
    • Posted

I started to withdraw from them in march with the help of a doctor that's why i was put on mirtazapine to help me sleep while i with drew but back to not sleeping well again. I was taking nearly 2 a night before i withrew but mostly 1 to 1 and a half x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.