mirtazapine should be called fatazapine

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi, i have benn on mirtazapine for 3 weeks. tried all different antidepressants none of them worked. so when gp mentioned these i went on them. for first week i was very sleepy not good as i have 2 kids aged 8 and 2 and im on my own during day as my husband at work. then i noticed my clothes were getting tight. i am usually a curvy size 14 in 2 weeks i have ballooned up 2 a size 18. my weight gain is making me feel even more depressed. i am a prisioner in my own home and body. my marriage is also suffering as a result of this. please reply asap. lyndsey

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi this is the worst med for weight gain & it doesn't stop either until you change your diet to absolutely no carbs which is very difficult as we need carbs in our diets helps with moods.. I came off it made me relapse ..
  • Posted

Has the mirt helped you at all? If it's going to work it usually does so within a week oor two. If you are not finding any improvement by now than it's not going to work for you. The weight gain will slow down eventually but some people gain four stone or more. Even I gained 20 pounds and it turns out I am hyperthyroid so am predisposed to losing weight, not gaining it. If it is affecting your marriage, and you are unhappy with the weight gain, then get off it before you become dependent. It also gave me kidney disease. It's a great AD for some people, and helped me no end but I do wish I'd never gone on it because it messes your body up.
  • Posted

Please go back to your doctor and tell him they are not working.   None of us are medically qualified to advise dosage or meds.   I had the same problem, they must have tried 10 different meds before trying Mirtazapine which worked, but everyone is different.   Mirt stopped working for me after 5 years (and a gain of about 2 stone in weight) and my GP is now starting me on Venlafaxine, which I hope will also help my anxiety.   For myself, I believe my depression is a result of unresolved/untreated anxiety, which is why most anti-depressants didn't work (Mirt has an anti-anxiety effect for some people, as does Venlafaxine).   If your problem is anxiety prior to depression then perhaps Pregabalin may help?   Keep talking with your GP and see him every two weeks until you find what works for you.   The longer you are on Mirt the harder it will be to get off it.  
  • Posted

Hi lyndsey

I had a giggle with fatazipine! You are so right. I have been on them for several weeks now and can not recognise the huge person I have become! People are quick to say it's better to be fat and not depressed, but fail to realise the long term health implications. My depression is slightly better, but not great. This is my 3rd AD and although it has some instant benefits, it also comes with a fair share of challenges! I know I need to come off mirt, and reluctantly try yet another AD. My knee joints are so painful and certain it'sdown to the extra weight. Are you getting any other side effects? Eg. Fatigue, bloating, poor memory etc. I cannot begin to imagine how difficult things are for you, coping with this Iillness and a young family.

is it worth considering something else?

God bless ♥

• Posted

hi lorraine, i am at my gp on monday morning i am going 2 ask if i can try something else. i am getting pian in my knees, lower back and in my thighs.i am sure its because i have become a bloater. i feel bloated a lot and if any appointments are nt on my fridge in big capital letters i forget about them. this is my 4th ad so i think im running  out of options. glad u had a giggle. its nice to make someone smile. xx
    • Posted

Hi lyndsey

I think that's a wise move. I did research joint pain/mirt and it's clear there is a connection with skeletal pain whilst on mirt. I have my appointment tomorrow relating to medication and I really want to stop taking it now. My depression and irritability is still very much present so a change may help. Forever the optimist lol!

Please let me know how you get on.

God bless x

• Posted

hi lorraine, im glad there is connection to joint pain whilst on mirt. at least i know im not quite ready for the scrap yard yet. will mention it to gp on monday. good luck for tomorrow. pls let me know how u get on when u get bk. take care xx
    • Posted

I'm glad you mentioned the joint pain. I did tell my GP a few weeks back that I had a pain in my hip and leg and he said it can't be from the Mirt. Thankfully the pain has gone now,  but I have an aching leg.  Again they didn't think it was from the meds.  I didn't have any of these pains before I took Mirt.
    • Posted

good morning lorraine, have u had ur appointment yet. it is blazin sun here 2day so going to try and sort out my jungle of a garden. it might make me feel abit better, xx
    • Posted

Hi lyndsey

not yet another three hours away (1.30)

How are you finding the mornings? I find them so difficult. Garden idea sounds good and if you can sit out for a little bit, it should reap some benefits. I will update you this afternoon xxx

• Posted

Hi swancity

i am certain it's the mirt causing it. I feel arthritic with my knee pains. It's only happened since taking mirt.

How are you doing generally? Are you getting any other symptoms?

Wishing you well ♥

• Posted

​hi lorraine, any news on how u got on 2day? i got an appointment 2day 2 start cbt therapy tomorrow. have u or anybody u know ever had this? if so was it helpful? xx

• Posted

Hi lyndsey

I have had another AD added!

I have been given venlafaxine to take in the mornings and mirt as usual in the evenings. My depression has been fairly resistant for a year, so I think that's why the psychiatrist is trying this combo. He wasn't interested in my joint pain, fatigue, weight gain and irritability! Perhaps this combo may take some of those symptoms away. I have been also referred for CBT but i think this will be like the 'healthy minds' sessions I have attended before. Eg changing thinking patterns. It sounds good but you need to feel well enough to attend! Let me know how you get on ♥

• Posted

Hi.  I think it's the Mirt causing it too.  Now and again I get swelling in my right foot.  Just waiting to see if the 45mg makes a difference.
    • Posted

hi lorraine, im so so sorry i only just getting bk 2 u. i hope the mixture of the 2 meds help u. if ur psychiatrist is not interested in ur joint pain c ur gp. feel abit nervey about 2day as i feel really weepy im crying nw typing this but i couldnt tell u why. cbt is about changing the way u think about things and learning 2 deal wiv situations. i could not move getting up this morning im so stiff. feel 93 not 33 lolcheesygrin​.
    • Posted

hi swanscity, have u gained any weight on the lower dose of mirt? if so and it bothers u as i does me just be careful on the higher dose confused
    • Posted

Hi lyndsey

I know just how those aches make you feel aged! Taken my first venlafaxine today and hope this combo gives me my energy back and with a bit of luck counteracts my cravings for sweets and stodge! Apparently it's known as california rocket fuel! Here's hoping my rocket gets airborne!

I hope your day improves and know first hand how it feels to be jittery and weepy. I. Honestly hope things get better quickly for you. Please tell me your getting plenty of help with the little ones? It can be a tall order just looking after ourselves with this illness.

God bless ♥♥

• Posted

Hi.  I found that I ate more on the 15mg.  I have to stop myself eating chocolate and sweet things on the 45mg,  as it can get out of control.  I go to the fridge and see something that I know I shouldn't eat and I leave it there.  I'm just trying to lose the weight that I put on at the beginning.  
    • Posted

Hi Swanscity,

I just started taking Mir 15mg less than a week ago for several of reasons.

Some of the reasons were because I was losing weight, wasn't eating as I should and I didn't have much of a appetite. After the very first pill I took before bedtime and continuing, I have been eating GOOD! Yes, craving sweets too.

Also it has helped me to sleep much better during the night as well.

I'm happy with those results thus far and will be following up with my doctor in about 4 weeks.

Just curious, what's the difference in mg? I am trying this for many reasons.

Thank you and Hope you can lose your desired weight.

Alicia

• Posted

Hi.  Do you mean what mg they come in.  15mg, 30mg and 45mg.  The 15mg made me sleep very well,  I was like a zombie for 2 weeks.  The 30mg helped me sleep well too.  The doctor upped to 45mg as my anxiety was still low.  I sleep ok on them.  Some people can't tolerate that dose.  I'm lucky as I've had no side effects. I feel they are working better than the 30mg.  I have read that the higher the dose the less sedating they can be.  I'm just going to have to try harder with this weight issue as it can get out of control with the cravings.
    • Posted

Hello,

Lol! That's what I meant instead. I can't stop eating. I'm finding myself eating things that I normally wouldn't eat beforehand...Wow! I don't know what to tell you because I'm new to Mir but if it's like that...We will have to encourage one another. Just maybe exercise will help with the weight issue. I can afford some but not too much. Nevertheless, I wish you the best.

Alicia

• Posted

Thank you.  I wish I was like that,   needing to put on weight.  I'm  the same,  I eat things that I would never have eaten before,  like a malt loaf.  I eat the whole pack, it's like you just eat for the sake of it. Everyday I say to myself, right from tomorrow there's no more eating junk.  It never happens.  I'll have to put a lock on the fridge and cupboards  lol.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.