mirtazapine withdrawal

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was on 15mg of Mirtazapine for 2 years. I tapered off over 8 weeks. ive now been completely off them for 3 weeks, The first  clear week except for a headache i felt great,I had loads of energy and no major sleep problems.The second week i became very itchy, had bad headaches and nausea( which has led to weight loss)and difficulty getting to sleep and staying asleep. This third week has been HELL !! Im only getting a couple of hours sleep a night and when im not sleeping im having crazy racing thoughts. My anxiety levels have rocketed and i cant stop crying so ive had to take time off work. ive been to the doctors and she has given me beta blockers and sleeping tablets. I took a sleeping tablet last night and although i had a good nights sleep ive been groggy all day.im worried that taking these might affect the withdrawal process.However my main concern is im going to New York in three weeks to get married and that if im still feeling like this i wont be able to do it !! Can anyone shed some light on how long im going to feel like this? 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi bev

Sorry I cant really offer much advice since I'm in the same boat but I hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Hi bev

I had a month of hell and was so ill was rushed to hospital for a week with severe stomach pains nausea hadnt eaten in 3 weeks had all sorts of tests scans and found nothing. As soon as doctor told me to start mirt again stomach pain gone!could you reinstate the mirtazapine? Why did you come off? I came off due to sedation still effecting me through day. You dont want to be ill for your wedding so maybe start the mirt again and taper very very slowly over months. Let me know how you get on but i suspect as soon as you reinstate it youll feel better x

• Posted

I was gonna say re start if you felt ok? Kelly how did u find it? Im thinking of trying it next are u on it for anxiety or depression
    • Posted

I was put on them for depression anxiety and not sleeping but spent the 2 years on them feeling groggy. Thought I was in a good enough place to come off them but in hindsight I should have waited until after the wedding. I'm reluctant to go back on them now incase the side affects that occur when starting them are pretty awful. I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place . I took a sleeping tablet last night and feel quite good this morning 😊long may it last !! Although I'm well aware it's a roller coaster ride of hell thinking of giving it till Monday and if no improvement going back to docs although I don't have much faith in them. They shouldn't be putting people on these tablets without warning them first. Thanks for your replies guys ?

• Posted

HI Bev

On solution people in some antidepressants forums is to reinstate with a small dose. You have been free from it for three weeks so the body has already undergone some kind of homeostasis repairs so you do not need to reinstate the full dosage. You may try with 3-4 Mg per day and then judging by how body responds can go further higher at the dossage you will feel stable. Than after the wedding and if you are in a better place you can start tapering slowly by lowering 10% every 3-4 weeks. In order to do that you can order liquid Mirt or in case you can not have that you can mix the tablet with water into a 1 to 1 proportion. to be more clear you can disolve a tablet of 15 Mg Mirt into 15 Ml of water and take the necessary amount with a syringe. If you do that 4 Ml will be equal 4 Mg of Mirt. After stabilizing and after the wedding you can start tapering in a very slow pace. It seems you are sensitive to these meds. I am doing the same currently have gone from 15Mg to 9Mg since the begining of July. I think in this way you will not have major WD.

ANYWAY I AM NOT A DOCTOR... SO I AM JUST ADVICING HOW I AM HANDLING IT MYSELF. You can discuss this plan with your doctor and if he/she agrees you can go for it.

GOOD LUCK

• Posted

What sode effects did u have starting them?
  • Posted

Hi Bev

So sorry to read of your Mirt' discontinuation hell.  Some people can get away with a quick taper but most can't; in mho 8 weeks is pretty fast after taking Mirt' for 2 years.  There is no knowing how long this may go on for, no one can tell you, but for some it may be a month for others much longer, maybe 4-6 months, for some there are still lesser symptoms for a year.  

These withdrawal/discontinuation symptoms can come in windows and waves, so one day you may feel better only to be hit again a few days later, there is no sense to it, but this is common.

For the itching take an OTC everyday antihistamine, I get mine from Sainsburys.  Mirt' contains a huge histamine block and once whipped away quickly the histamines come flooding in causing the itching, tingling, sometimes the nausea too ~ although for more severe nausea you will need a prescription medicine from your doc.  Eventually the system learns to rebuild its own anti histamine, check out "histamine rich foods" - these are the lones to avoid for now.

You have a decision which isn't an easy one, oh dear ... with the dilema that the longer you leave it before any reinstatement, the longer it may be for any reinstatement to work.  I agree with Toni, if you are to restart, try a lower dose first, I would go for half the amount you jumped off from ~ what dose was it?  But don't be cruel to yourself, if it doesn't work within a week try a little bit more.

I hope you can find the right answer, you will be able to come back and ask advice for a slower taper, or check out the site below for a full informed choice.

For advice on tapering Mirtazapine slowly at the recommended rate of no more than 10% every 3 or 4 weeks, please see the following which is within this forum,

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/depression-resources-298570

and then click on the link "REDUCING AD'S USING 10% WITHDRAWAL METHOD".

Wushing you well Bev

• Posted

Thank you so much for your advice and support. Today was a good day . Very little anxiety nausea or headache.  Although im fully aware tomorrow could be hell again. im going to make the most of the good days and eat as much as i can and stay positive through the bad ones as much as i can.
    • Posted

You're very welcome, happy to help.  I sincerely hope it goes well for you.

• Posted

Can i ask u ladies that have been on mirt did uz have any side effects starting? Did it work well for u anxiety and dep?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.