Mirtazapine Withdrawal

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, I've been on 30mg Mirtazapine for over a year and me and the doc decided I should reduce or come off them, they didn't seem to be helping me much anyway. So for the past 2.5 weeks I've been taking 15mg tablet at night. First few days were fine, then wham, it hit me I felt awful for 4 days, sick, dizzy, fuzzy head, no appetite, generally feeling unwell. This has eased off a little and I'm so nervous of cutting down to 7.5mg I'm wondering how long I should wait before doing so. I know I should speak to my doc but you guys have experience and I feel that you can give me an idea of a good time to cut back again. I'm still having funny feelings in my head and no appetite. Hoping I never have to take AD's again, my main problem is anxiety, insomnia.

Thank you, Kath rolleyes

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kath,

All I can say is that everyone is different. Some people can come off really quickly, others have to go slower.

If you're having major WD symptoms then you could be going too quick. I went from 15 to 7.5 to 3.75 within a month and had really bad SEs so went back to 7.5.

As much as you may want to come off mirt, a slow gradual reduction will benefit in the long run. I can only go by personal experience, if WDs are too much then going back to a dose that was manageable and reducing slower could help.

• Posted

You're welcome and I wish you good luck. I'm starting to feel a lot more alert now that I'm down to 7.5mg and my moods are generally a lot better. only thing is I'm more anxious. Just have to go with it though but will be worth it in the end smile

• Posted

Oh forgot to mention, CBT and mindful meditation are really good for anxiety. There's an app called CALM that I use and it's guided mediation and has ones just for anxiety which are brilliant

• Posted

Hello Kathleen,

I don'y think its wise to do another 50% drop as the last one was so bad.  Have a look here so at least you hve an informed choice

For advice on tapering Mirtazapine slowly at the recommended rate of no more than 10% every 3 or 4 weeks, please see the following which is within this forum, 

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/depression-resources-298570

and then click on the link "REDUCING AD'S USING 10% WITHDRAWAL METHOD". 

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/mirtazapine-tapering-simplified-510495

• Posted

Thank you Calmer for your advise I will take note and reduce slowly as you have advised.

Still having problems with anxiety but will perservere. I have appointment on Friday to see a Counsellor so I can only hope it helps without staying on AD's.

regards

Kath

• Posted

It will be good if the therapist can support you whilst tapering, when symptoms crop up it can sometimes be more difficult.

Hope it goes well for you Kathleen.

• Posted

Hi Kath....you are being really sensible at your approach to reducing the mirtazapin and working with your doctor to achieve this.

I've been on 45mg mirtazapin for 9 years, 800mg quetiapine, zopiclone, venoflaxine amitriptyline and way to much diazepam. (I have bipolar, pschpsis anxiety depression. I went total cold turkey (silly I know) mainly because of weight gain. Nearly 8 weeks into it but although it's been very hard I have coped and lost almost 2 stone in weight. I actually feel happier at the weight loss, more confident, less depressed and have only experienced 1 psychotic episode since stopping.

I think if you apply yourself mentally you can do it. Stay strong....you will get there

Kindest regards

Jeannie. X

• Posted

Thank you for your advise I'm still taking 15mg (this is my third week),very dubious about reducing again just yet as I'm still having some withdrawal symptoms. At least that's what I hope they are! Headachy, stomach ache, general feeling of being off if you know what I mean.

I'm thinking I won't be able to judge the dose correctly cutting down a 30 mg tablet, I don't think my doc would give me the liquid form. Any suggestions please?

Thanks to all for your kind replies.

Kath x

• Posted

Hi Kathleen

There are links under my profile (the last one describes how to make a liquid).

Click on my name and find the links.

Hope this helps a little.

• Posted

Thank you Calmer your a real gem. ?I've been on 15mg for 3 weeks should/can these horrible feelings especially stomach upset, and achy linger this long? I'm wondering should I go back to my doc to see if he can help. I also have high iron levels and waiting for tests so wondering if this is contributing to me feeling so unwell.

But I will take the reductions very slowly.

regards

Kath cry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.