mirtazapine withdrawl

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I was on remeron/mirtazapine for 17 years,and I been tapering 30mgs since the winter,I just finished my last tiny piece on Friday,I am feeling OK,but I have these days where I'm depressed and sad,angry and I'm just saying whatever comes to my mind,I am arguementive,and feeling a little all over the map,extra sensitive and having insomnia,will this pass? I also am almost off tegretol,I am on a quarter of a piece,plus I am dealing with protracted WD from klonopin as well,its been almost 7 years since I came off klonopin and that alone was pure hellx20! Any advice would be appreciated thanks! Kristine

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Kristine, I am 6 months down the road from stopping remeron after 8 years at 45 mgs. I am going to be as honest and forward with you as I can. First, the things that you have described are all symptoms of withdrawal. And there are a lot of others. As long as you were on it, you will probably take a while to get through them. Just explain to those that you are close to what is going on, and for them to try to be patient. Most people, from what I have read, end up going back on the medicine because of the withdrawals. I stopped cold turkey, which was a BIG mistake, and your tapering should help. Just google Mirtazapine Withdrawal, and then read everything that you can find. It will be time well spent. There is a private group on facebook for this very subject. If you are on facebook, message Rose McKay about joining the group if you are interested. I wish you the best, and hope your trip down the road isn't too long or painful, but be prepared because it might be awful. Sorry, but you wanted the truth. David
    • Posted

Am I stuck like this? I am doing OK. But I'm not where I should be either,my moods are all over the place. Thanks Kristine
    • Posted

If you just finished your last piece on Friday, you may just be getting started. I'll tell you what my doctor told me, you either go back on the medicine, or be prepared to ride it out. Yes, your moods are all over the place. Your brain has depended on that chemical for all those years. Now that you are depriving your brain and digestive system of the remeron, all the benefits will sort of reverse, and you will be trying to get "sober", meaning your body will try to get back to the day before you took your first one, minus all the wear and tear that age does to us all. This may be a long, unpleasant experience. But, there is no way around it. Again, I wish you the best. After 6 months I am still having withdrawal symptoms, they are much less intense, but still here. That is much longer than usual, but no two people are the same.
    • Posted

Thank u,I think its been almost a week,but I just finished the 7.5 dose I was on,I think it was even smaller than 7.5. It was a tiny dose . I find getting off carbamazapine to be even more challenging so far. These meds have pooped out a long time ago,and I am wondering if I will ever sleep again normally. But at 46,I doubt it. Is it normal to get chest pains to? And trapped gas and bloating?
    • Posted

I had pains in my chest, but it was from epigastric abdominal pains that referred to my lower rib cage and into my chest. But, if you think that you need to be seen for the chest pains then get to an Emergency Hospital and get it checked out. I went twice thinking that I was having a heart attack. The sleeping? It will take a while, but I have know folks that took a year to get their sleep back in order. Grab naps whenever you can, the bottom line is how many hours you get in a 24 hour period for right now.
    • Posted

Its been almost 7 years since klonopin,and I been having sleep disturbances ever since,and now I am adding 2 more wds to the mix. I just don't wanna be dependant on meds anymore.
    • Posted

Trapped gas and bloating was, and still is my absolute worst symptom of all! I went to the hospital 3 times because of it. Had x-rays, CT Scans and examinations. Was told all three times it was spasms and cramps caused by anxiety. Kristine, I still advise you to join the facebook mirtazapine withdrawal page, contact Rose McKay.
    • Posted

Mirtazapine ( Remeron ) Withdrawal Group is the name of the page. But, Rose McKay sat it up, and you go through her page. Just send her a message telling her that I sent you. All posts by members are private, and the members are all former remeron users. Good luck. David
    • Posted

The purpose of the group is to get people to a sober, drug free life if possible. There are some really smart, wise, caring people on there.
    • Posted

I could use some caring people! I just requested to join,I'm waiting for a response back.
    • Posted

I sent Rose a message to watch for you. Just remember that she, and, I, are in the USA, so when posting on the site, you have to remember the 6 hour time difference. I mention that because it makes replies sometimes seem long. I think that out of all the members, only 3 are in the US, the others are from all over the place. We even have one in Africa. Most members are from the UK, as that is where we all met. Good Luck, David
    • Posted

You are welcome. I sincerely hope that you benefit from the wisdom, through experience, that is available from the members. I also hope that you are fortunate and don't need much help, but if you do, the help will be priceless. I don't know what I would have done without those folks. David
    • Posted

Hi David, 

I looked for Rose and the group on FB but couldn't find them.  There were several Rose McKay's, so which one?  Didn't find a Remeron Withdrawal or Mirtazapine Withdrawal group on there.  Any help would be appreciated!

• Posted

Hi its Kristine again,I took mirtazapine the other night to see if I would feel better,and the tablet me feel awful,like I'm flat and miserable,and no joy once so ever,the happiness was sucked out of me,I will never take this crap again as long as I live! I have been on lamictal for 2 days and I hate that one to. The only med that helps is tegretol and seroqiel for sleep. Remeron is awful and so is lamictal,since I have gotten older,nothing agrees with me anymore! sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.