Mirtazipine and Vision

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,been on mirt for 14 months,getting fatter but also my vision is off.

Things close up are in full focus and watching tv is fine.Buti have problems focusing on the other side of the street- i cannot recognise anyone until they are vey close.when out for a walk on the beach the view becomes like a dreamy state so do not enjoy it as much.Anyone else experience this. Because of vision and weight5 I am seriously thinking of stopping but counsellor reckons another 6 month before I do but in 6 months I will be much heavier.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I used to get quite blurry eyes when I was on 30mg of mirt. I'm almost off it now and yes, my eyes are better. I put on 20 lbs but did manage to lose it all whilst still on the mirt, so it is possible but it's much harder than when you are off it. If you decide to come off, do it very gradually. The doctors tend to recommend tapering far too fast. Usually, the longer you've been on it, the slower you should taper. Some recommend only 10% reduction every month. I've done it a lot quicker than that, but it's still taken me twelve weeks to get where I am now (at only 0.8mg using homemade liquid).
  • Posted

Hi Plainden

I've read about vision problems with Mirt' several times, some have blurrey vision, some have difficulty like yourself.  Maybe get your eyes checked to rule anything out.  I too have gained a lot of weight 20lbs+, and yes it's hard to shift as the craving is always there when on a higher dose (I am withdrawing now and the appetite is less than it was).

Evergreen is right, don't let doctors take you off Mirt in a hurry, do a slow withdrawl, ask here on the forum for advice (10% every 3/4 weeks).

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Hi plainden, I was wondering whether your eyesight has deteriorated gradually since taking mirt. Or is it recent? Have you been taking any other meds since (i.e. any heart or cholesterol meds)? Your age is another factor if you are over fifty. Do other members of the family require glasses? Are you glued to computer screens day after day?

Suggest an eye test to see is any other factors may be responsible i.e. macular degeneration. If weight gain cannot be managed by diet and exercise and is a concern to you, discuss other options with your counsellor and doctor. If you are uncomfortable with their response seek information/advice elsewhere. The way you feel about yourself is important. I've been on mirt 30 mgs for years without any problems (weight gain was a positive for me), but we all react individually to medications.

Best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.