Mirtazipine help please

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I have been on 30mg for over a year had terrible withdrawals trying to get off so had to start them up again that was months ago... this last week I have felt terrible chest pain rapid heart rate and just feel really lousy and panicking all the time about silly things!! I am still taking 30mg but I do t know what's wrong I have been to my gp as I was really scared with the fast heart rate she said it's acid!!!! But then ordered a stool sample and getting an ecg tomorrow I just want to feel myself again yes the weight gain is awful but it soon levels out there n my opinion can anyone help me with some reassurance as I feel my gp is just not helping

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Why are you coming off Mirtazapine? And when you're tapering off, how are you doing it?

It's possible your fast heart rate is related to coming off Mirtazapine or the stress of doing it.

Hopefully you and your GP can rule out anything physical.

Are you under the care of a mental health team?

• Posted

Hi yeah I see a psychologist and I'm not tapering off any more it was around 5 months ago I tried but felt terrible to many withdrawals so rather be on them smile

• Posted

Its a horrible med try n get urself off of it if they can wean u off. I was going 2 see away o l8888
  • Posted

Hi Linzi

Sorry to read of your suffering, many many folk come here for help to taper, it isn't so bad if you make a plan and go slow.  Follow these links and get yourself some background info, for when you're ready to try to taper again, if you want to that is.

How long have you been suffering with the rapid heart beat and the panicky feeling I wonder??  It may well be the Mirt' ~ sometimes when upping and downing the doses is can mess with your brains neuro transmitters (Mirt' alters these temporarily). 

How long when you say 'over a year' have you been taking it.  Have you read other threads discussing "poop out", when you are thrown into involuntary withdrawal/discontinuation syndrome.

Links for info:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/mirtazapine-tapering-simplified-510495

For advice on tapering Mirtazapine slowly at the recommended rate of no more than 10% every 3 or 4 weeks, please see the following which is within this forum,

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/depression-resources-298570

and then click on the link "REDUCING AD'S USING 10% WITHDRAWAL METHOD".

• Posted

Hi thanks I will follow them guidelines

I am not tapering at all at the moment haven't for a long times around 6 months just all of a sudden it feels like I'm withdrawing for some reason but my dosage has not changed?? The rapid heartbeat has been going on for just over a week the doctor gave me beta blockers she does not believe In Side effects or withdrawal but I know this is a huge flare up of anxiety and depression which I believe is down to mirtazipine not working???

• Posted

Well I feel that it would be a good idea to take a photocopy of the 58 'listed' (some are not) side effects of AD's to show your doctor, you will find them on the S.A, site link that I sent you under Joseph Glenmullen's write up.  Or you can search/google his site, not difficult to find them.  Doctors !!!  Even some P'docs don't have the necessary training, thinking they can 'swap' AD's without tapering.

Mirt' definately can "poop out", I think I wrote this on another thread on this site for you yesterday, so whatever you do, don't lose confidence in yourself thinking any old symptoms are returning, as it may well be the effects from discontinuation.  Your nervous system will be trying to restore itself if so, it can be difficult, don't be tempted to just stop the meds, if you do need to try a.n. other AD its best to taper slowly.

• Posted

Im srry u r going threw that. Its called tremors is wat ur feeling. I had that reaction on my first night taking it. I had about 50 or more of them tremors we thought i was going to go into a sezuire. So we went striaght to the hospital. Tyg my normal ER dr was on shift. I wouldnt even let him touch me. He even commented 2 my parents thats not me i always let him examine no matter how severe my pain is. It took alot of IV drugs to calm me down. I cried myself 2 sleep and he even gave me a couple other shots b4 i left. He tried so hard to call my pshic dr to find out y he took me off my other meds n y he would give me such a horrible drug. I was given it bcuz i had anxiety really bad 2 eat. I have IBS & GASTRITIS so i do have a problem going to go # 2. GOOD LUCK i hope u feel better...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.