Misdiagnosed clot??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey guys, I'm a 21 year old female whose on the birth control pill and I just spent my holidays in Europe. While I was there I took a 14 hour bus ride and when I got off the bus my foot and lower leg were red and almost double the size, I decided to spend the day in bed with my foot elevated and the swelling and redness went away. I thought everything was fine. 

I've been back for four days and after the 12 hour plane ride home I've been feeling dizzy, not myself and have had horrible calf pain. Yesterday it was so severe that I went to the ER. The hospital did an ultrasound of my calf and said there was no clots and told me that my D-DIMER was normal (390 UG/L - and I was told I'm okay as long as it's under 500 UG/L). 

I woke up today feeling worse and I'm just wondering if it's possible for the ultrasound to miss the clot? Also what is a normal D-DIMER score, should mine even be this high? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi brittanymb

not going to be much help here but it certainly sounds like you could have a clot. 2 things against you, the pill and long haul travel. Surprised the scan came back normal. All I can say is go back to the ER if your leg is still painful. 

• Posted

Hi brittanymb,

First, note I'm no doctor of health care professional.

I'd think it's very improbable that both the D-Dimer test and ultrasound come out negative if you have a DVT. So most probably you haven't had one. But then, if you feel bad, it could be something else. The body is too complex, and I know too little, to be able to give any hints about that.

Regarding DVT, you may wish to self-check your symptoms against these standard criteria:

https://www.mdcalc.com/wells-criteria-dvt

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/VTE-self-assessment.aspx

Thinking about the questions may perhaps give you some information to discuss with doctors if you decide to go back to A&E or consult your usual general practitioner.

Best of luck!

• Posted

I was misdiagnosed they scanned my calf but my clot was in the groin I was left untreated for five days and when I was finally admitted my d diner score was over five thousand not sure what the normal score is I was just told anything over 500 was not good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.