MITRIAL REGURGITATION NO FOLLOW UP?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm an 18 year old female, only health problem is ulcerative colitis. I've had chest pain, palpitations and anxiety for over a year now, ECG came back fine, and ultrasound came back I have a small mitrial regurgitation. On the NHS website it said this should be followed up by occasional scans, but I have heard nothing? What if my regurgitation progresses? Is it so minor or common that a follow up isn't needed?? HELP

Still get chest pain but GP insists it isn't cardio related??

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

from my understanding, dr's would want to follow you up probably in about 2 years time for regurgitation, and just simply watch it, getting better or getting worse, I suspect you Dr can hear it if it is big enough, but doesn't sound like it is.

It may never cause you any problems, watch your weight, stay fit and healthy and try to get some counselling for your anxiety.

Yes a heart issue when brought to your attention will cause you to be anxious, but don't allow that anxiety to take over your living a good life.

• Posted

Hi brooke22

sorry to hear your anxiety most importantly take time to relax .I would suggest

for your peace of mind ask you GP to refer

you to a Cardiologist where you could have

an Echocardiogram .Did your GP check your

heart with a Stethascope ?If yes did they hear a murmur?

Was the regurgitation trivial or mild as

some people can have it for years and can have medication .Do you know which valve

is involved?mitral Valve?

There are lots of websites NHS included uptodate etc

that explain more in detail.If you have seen cardiologist already i would get an appointment to get them to explain in detail

to you your results which i am sure they wont mind doing and when your follow up should be if any,

just phone up the cardio department and get the secretary of the cardiologist email address to arrange an appointment .You can also have a 24 holter monitor reading which can be helpful and arranged by your GP

You are very young and healthy and

many people have regurgitation for many years without it progressing from mild and will just take medication .Most people with mild or moderate Regurgitation will not need treatment .So try not to worry and dont focus on your heart too much i know easier

said than done !You should be having fun

and enjoying yourself and not worrying about your health .You will be fine trust me!

let me know how things are going

good luck and good health

• Posted

I have had my heart listened to and he thought he could here a murmur which is why he sent me for a ECG and ultrasound scan. But the lady doing the ultrasound said I didn't have a murmur, i just had a small mitrial regurgitation which was common in about 70% of people.

I never usually get it when I exercise but I have just done some cardio work outs and it's beginning to hurt, I'm wondering if me worrying about it is bringing it on and causing me to feel the anxiety pain. I've booked an appointment with me GP

• Posted

Hi

brooke22 ,can i ask if you have spoken or been examined by a Cardiologist? as they are really the

person to talk with on the Result

of an Echo (ultrasound)and can check for a murmur with stethascope

Although the Echo Technician is qualified to explain some parts of the test the Cardiologist is experienced

one to trust that truly understand the result .I mention this as the Echo is usually used for images of the heart function and to also looking for leaks and examine the valves.(but the technician does not see any obvious regurgitation they can bring to your attention sometimes before you see cardiologist to put your mind at rest

(although not supposed to )

the result will normally be sent via your GP

the ultrasound and explained and also the cardiologist can explain it to you.

The reason i mention all this is its best in my opinion to be thorough.

And its good to get the very best

from your examination.But if the cardiologist does give you the same

opinion as the Echo Technician then fine that would be great news.

I would mention about the pain on

workout to Cardiologist always mention things even if they may seem really small and of no significance .It does sound like

things are positive .Anxiety can cause

lots of symptoms but try to relax more

and not think too much .Glad your seeing your GP soon see if he can explain the Cardiologist echo result for peace of mind too or refer you back to a cardiologist about pain on exercise .Good health snd good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.