mobile oxygen

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi I've recently been put on 24/7 oxygen I'm sorted at home but I'm not for going out and about can anyone give me some info on what's best to get please

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jackie, who prescribed your  Oxygen for you. Could you contact them and explain you need portable aswell. That's what we did and we had 8 cylinders delivered, when they are empty we just ring the 02 company and they collect and replace. Hope this helps xx
    • Posted

Hi Jackie, I am also on oxygen 24/7, and began using it several years ago. 

You should call your oxygen company and request about 8 bottles (or however many bottles they allow), and ask for the small bottles, the B size ones. Also ask for a 'conserving devise', which helps conserve the oxygen that is inside the smaller tanks,  making the oxygen last longer (due to small tank size). With a conserving devise, a person can use the 12 inch long B size portable tanks for about two hours on level 2. If you do not have a conserving devise the oxygen will last only about fifteen minutes. So is important, is asking for the small portable B size tanks.  

The first time, my oxygen company gave me this hugh (about 40 inches tall) tank, that was placed on a set of wheels. It made me miserable, and it was too heavy. I would see others in public carrying these small B size portable oxygen tanks, and carrying them in a sachael that came with them. They were very light. I went home and called my oxygen company, and I've been using the small ones for years, and love it. When I need refill's, I simply call the oxygen company, and the next day they deliver me new ones. Every week I call them. But, lately they came out with a new thing that sits on top of the at home oxygen concentrator, and I can fill my own tanks...so no more delivery man for me...I really love the liberty of filling my own tanks! 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply I was given a small cylinder which they say there is one smaller but it's just for babies I find mine too heavy to use so I haven't been out much as I'm only small myself I shall have to get in touch with nurse see if anything else
    • Posted

Jackie, you are welcome! I know how that is, regarding not going out, due to large tanks. My first tanks were like that. I still went out, but it was terrible having to carry that hugh tank around everywhere. It was on wheels, but still, it was difficult, even with wheels. I like it better carrying it inside a purse type sachael. My next step is looking into purchasing my own portable oxygen concentrator..those are nice...I have to take some time off,  and shop,  before purchasing one, since their are many. Also,  they can be very expensive, but the money pays off, since once you own one, it can make it so we don't have to pay for an oxygen company anymore. Good luck, and take care! Brenda xo
  • Posted

You can buy portable oxygen concentrators. I have an Activox. Battery lasts 12 hours at level 1. Can be plugged into the car cigarette lighter for constant re charging. Size is like a small handbag.

regards

• Posted

i have a portable concentrater its great its on little wheels and you can go any were with it its better than the cylinders you just have to charge the batteries up reguler ask your health team mine is called a imorgen 1 take it on the plain as well
    • Posted

Thanks I'll have a word with my nurse and did you say you can use them on planes that would be great cos I like to holiday abroad
    • Posted

Hi I'm after getting a small concentrator which I'm looking to buy I've seen a really nice one but I'm not sure about pulse rate and continuous flow at home I'm on a continuous concentrator but the mobile one I've seen says flow rate equivalent to 2 litres per minute would I be able to use this please any ideas
  • Posted

Hi Jackie, I'm also on oxygen 24/7 , I use liquid oxygen for getting about I find the container is much easier to carry plus it lasts longer also. You need to have a garage or shed to keep the unit as it can't be stored in your home. Unfortunately I can't have the liquid at our caravan so I have to use canisters which I find cumbersome although if you manage on pulse you can get the small ones which are much better. These are just my personal preferences other people may disagree . Good luck with whatever you decide to use. Julia x
  • Posted

Hi Jackie. I am holidaying next week at Daydream Island (off the Queensland coast) and the only thing I need to take is my Activox portable concentrator. It is approved for air travel. For flying I turn it up to 3 litres as the oxygen level is lower above 8000 feet.

The flying time is only an hour and half or threequarters so the concentrator won't need any power other than the battery.

I will be using it 24/7 on level 1 except when flying.

As I described before, it is the size of a small handbag. I will plug it into the mains overnight. It is not completely silent but it won't keep anyone from sleeping. It is charging whilst being used, meaning that it is ready to go first up in the morning.

Just have to get a declaration completed by my doctor for the airline to accept me, (and the concentrator which is accepted by most airlines worldwide, certainly by australian and US air carriers). That takes very little time. My doctor faxed them on tuesday last and they phoned me at 9am wednesday to say all is ok.

I am posting this so everyone can appreciate how easy it is to fly with the right equipment.

Even though I live in Brisbane Australia, I am sure all of you in UK and USA can do what I can do here.

I also take a fold up electric scooter so I don't need to walk too far.

Please ask me anything that may assist you in getting about with emphysema and asthma which is what I have.

Cheers

Tony

• Posted

I'm not very happy with my respiratory nurse I've got a concentrator at home which I'm fine with but the travel oxygen is too heavy and awkward for me to carry so I've looked on line to buy one but when I asked my nurse anout the flow rate which says is equivalent to 2 litres per minute of pulse flow oxygen she was reluctant to help saying she can't give me permission to buy one but NHS ones aren't any good for me how as anyone else bought theirs
    • Posted

And thanks for replying Tony it sounds great being able to fly with one cos I usually book oxygen with the airline in travelling with
  • Posted

Hi, I am a recent user of home oxygen and I suggest you read this page. https://patient.info/doctor/prescribing-oxygen

You do not have to buy your own as it can be ordered by your consultant. I am in London. I was prescribed a month ago and I have home concentrator which has been plumbed in, a battery powered portable concentrator and small cylinders as well. The only complaint I have is with the supplier, Airliquide, who has so far shown very poor customer service

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.