Modafinal for Narcolepsy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Got narcolepsy at the age of 17 and finally got it diagnosed....after working out for myself from the internet what was wrong with me at the age of 31! In the meantime I just struggled with feeling excessively tired all the time and being told by GP's that it was either depression or normal considering my lifestyle!!

When I finally got the diagnosis I carried on for quite a while unmedicated by don't know whether it is age or not but I am now on Modafinil.

The thing I would recommend to people is look at your lifestyle aswell. It is common that when you are tired your body craves high calorie food. I got a very sweet tooth only after getting Narcolepsy. However eating refined high sugar/carbohydrate food makes my symptoms worse and can take me from being really tired to feeling like I am drugged!! It is probably the reason why it is common for Narcoleptic's to be overweight.

The other thing is getting some exercise. Just getting out for a walk everyday made the difference to me. Don't overdo it though as you have to remember that the idea is to increase your general fitness without sapping the limited energy you do have.

Getting into a regular sleep pattern also helps. Narcoleptic's actually do not sleep well despite the amount of sleep they may get. So getting a bed routine in place is essential.

As usual the things that help are using your common sense regarding what any human body needs. Good nutrition, some exercise and enough sleep at night-time. This may make the difference on the dosage you would need to take.

I don't like taking medication but whilst I have to work full-time, I cannot see an alternative right now. I think one of my main worries is the lack of research there seems to be on the long-term effects of taking this sort of drug and the long-term prognosis for someone with Narcolepsy.

To be honest I sometimes feel that I am pushing my body all the time to just have a normal life..........sometimes I wonder how long my body can withstand the strain that it feels like it is under.

I do have some side effects from taking Modafinil but as with anything it is a case of putting that against the effect of the symptoms of Narcolepsy. :zzz:

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

have you lost any weight with this medication?
  • Posted

I have been in a similar situation to the person above, except that I while I've always had a great appetite, I've maintained a fairly high level of fitness as do a lot of very intense exercise (after which I'm exhausted and sleep for several hours).

Modafinil has reduced my appetite to almost zero, to the point where I often forget to eat until the evening. With the extra wakefulness that the drug also gives me (and performance improvement), I have lost a significant amount of the fat that I had, and the weight loss is visible.

• Posted

I was also put into modafinil and was woundering at what stages of the day do u take your as I have tried some in the morning and a dinner time or all in the morning but still find myself fighting to stay awake a couple of hrs later I have now been put on 700mg a day which is well over the said dose but still have problems it's a nightmare x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.