Moist toilet tissue, white toilet tissue. Cause inflammation?

Posted , 13 users are following.

I will be having a biopsy next week, but am already thinking what could be causing the inflammation I have been experiencing, if it is not LS.

I wondered about moist toilet tissue, as I have been using a perfumed moist toilet tissue for some years.   I also use ordinary toilet tissue (white).

Have others stopped using moist toilet tissue or changed their toilet paper and found it helped?  Or has anyone found that perfumed moist toilet tissue or white toilet tissue increased inflammation?

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Cheetah, I wouldn't be able to use perfumed moist toilet tissue as I have Multiple Chemical Sensitivity and anything perfumed makes me very ill.  That being said, even for someone like yourself (with Lichen Sclerosus) anything perfumed is not a good idea, because at the end of the day it is just chemicals you are putting on your body, there is nothing natural in these products, and I suspect in 20 years time we will discover that all the chemicals we use every day on our body (and its hundreds) are a contributing factor to the rise in auto immune diseases.  

• Posted

I have similar thoughts Guppy - we're surrounded by chemicals all the time and this may very well be the cause of LS and other auto immune diseases. 

?There is talk about global warming, but I think it would be better if we talk about the chemicals in air, food, fabric.

?

• Posted

Hi! can i ask what you use for soap and laundry detergent? i have had to stop using anything even baking soda and borax. i have tried every thing available that is supposed to be no chemicals. i have not been officially diagnosed with LS my biopsy came back as fibroepithelial polyp. gyno sent me to dermatology. dermatology said that it was good that it was benign and didnt need to do anything further and wasnt even going to look at my skin until i asked her to seeing that ive been to her and gyno over the last year with itching prickly feeling and rawness that increased when any soaps (including homemade) touch my peri area it gets inflammation. also cannot use any toilet paper at all. i have tried everything currently using white cotton tshirts cut up. i dont have white patches or any skin tags that i can tell but my symptoms sound like LS. im just curious as to what you use? and how were you diagnosed with multiple chemical sensitivity? Thank you for your time!

• Posted

Hi, My opinion is that now the skin is rough in that area toilet paper tends to stick and yes any chemicals will definitely impact the area. I've toyed with the idea of getting one of those french toilets that spray water to clean. Ive had great success with using copha (coconut oil based butter) putting on after I go to the toilet so the next time I go the toilet paper doesnt stick.

• Posted

Anything with perfume is not good, including laundry soap and bathing soap. There was a discussion about the bleach that is used also to make toilet paper white. Apparently it can cause the release of a chemical in moist toilet paper that can get in your system. One person posted that she felt this was the cause of her LS. I F she is reading this, maybe she can add to the discussion. I would like to know what that chemical is and if we can have a blood test to detect it. I am.buying toilet paper which uses something else to make it white, or you can get it with no chemicals, which makes it a tan color, at health food stores.
  • Posted

Definititely increases inflammation. Get hold of some unbleached toilet paper, much kinder to the skin x
  • Posted

Hi cheetah, I've been told not to use anything scented on my L's or in the bath water,

• Posted

Thank you all for your replies.  I've now changed the moist toilet tissue to an unperfumed one and will see if I can get some unbleached toilet paper as well.  However, I have been using the perfumed moist toilet tissue for years and years and it's only in the past 18 months that I've had a problem.  I was very interested to read, Cynthia, that somebody thought that this was what caused their LS in the first place.

Well, I suppose I'll know more after my biopsy.  Thank you again.

• Posted

Yes, Cheetah, I wish I knew how to go back and find that post. If anyone knows how to do that, we would appreciate it. It has to do with a specific chemical that is a by product of the bleach in toilet paper, which can become toxic in the blood.There may be different reasons we get this dreadful disease, but exposure to chemicals is never good for any health issues, in our case auto immune.
    • Posted

If I remember correctly:  The talk was about dioxin.  Feminine Hygiene pads contain this harmful toxin, among others, due to a bleaching process. 

​There was a discussion that full disclosure labelling should become mandatory.  That we need to know ahead of time how to avoid rayon, pesticide residue, GMO cotton, dioxins, petrochemincals and plastic - often found in conventional feminine hygiene products. 

​This so that women would be able to make informed discisions on what product to buy. 

​Hope this helps.  I guess that the same applies to bleached toilet paper.

• Posted

Thanks Hammy, I think you are right. Hope this is informative to Cheetah.Still wondering about getting blood tested for dioxin, if possible.
  • Posted

Hi. My ls was nearly missed because I used moist wipes which increased my inflammation. things did calm down a bit when I stopped using them

• Posted

Hi,

What, I always do ,every toilet visit,

Huggies new born,0%,no perfume,

There great,

I take them everywhere I go,

Hope that helps,

And you get some relief,

• Posted

Thank you, Lorraine.  I've bought some Huggies too after reading about them on here. so hope they make a difference.

• Posted

Good luck,cheetah,

And with your biopsy, I had mine today,

Take care.

• Posted

Let us know how I are doing following your biopsy, Lorraine. I haven't had one and wonder if it is tolerable.

• Posted

Thank you ,yes of course,

It was my first biopsy ,I must admit I was so worried,

But ,it was ok ,it didn't take long,I had a couple of stitches,

It's the waiting now,

My Dr wants to see me next week to make sure it's healing ,

Please, let me know how you get on ....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.