Mom 81 has copd

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi could someone give me advice.... my mom is 81 smoked her whole life has just been diagnosed wth COPD an heart failure she is nw on 24/7 oxygen.... just come out of hospital.....bp stays low is that normal? gets very tired sleeps a lot not too breathless..... what stage would she be in.... and she stopped smoking since she been in hospital but now wants a E cigarette I'm just not sure it's a good thing as her lungs are bad?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I shouldn't say this, I know .. but your Mum has reached a fine old age. If she wants an ecig, for goodness sake let her have one. 

I'll probably get blasted for it .. but what the hell.

• Posted

I hear what you sa Ying. .... just she is very frail an has fluid on her lungs...... we just worried it's going to make her breathing worse .... not a nice thing to see......

• Posted

I have to agree with you Josephine, blasting or no.  I am 70 and have smoked since I was 10.  I have moderate COPD, no oxygen and I don't get seriously breathless.  All in all I am very blessed and I feel really well.  There is NO WAY I can give up smoking although I've cut it down a bit.  I realise that I can go downhill but I accept that and I have a living will including DNR.  That's my choice and because of Michelle's mums age I would say let her carry on smoking if she wishes.   I can't see that it would help if she gives up. Life's too short anyway.  Years ago my doctor admitted to my sister that I need my ciggies.  If I did give up then get run over by a bus, I'd be very annoyed!!

• Posted

Whilst I sympathise with josephines view, fluid on the lungs is a complication. You may not know those ecigs are unregulated, some generate a lot of vapour, which obviously could bring on a fatal bout of coughing. I dont know if other ways of letting her have some nicotine might be safer - like patches or a tongue spray or (my late wifes preference) a nicorette type inhaler.
  • Posted

I suspect she wouldn't be able to tolerate a cigarette or e cig with fluid on the lung, and it could be dangerous for her to try, it could compromise her breathing further and she would likely end up in hospital again.

Her own doctor could probably advise her of the dangers and outcome if she wants to exercise her choice of smoking or staying smoke free, at least then she would know what the risks are to her at this time.

You might want to read about pulmonary oedema :  https://patient.info/health/pulmonary-oedema

I think if your Mom of 81 Wants to safeguard her health and stay out of hospital smoking of any kind is probably not a good idea.

But do ask her doctor about the e cigs if you are unsure or she is but I am guessing the doc will raise eyebrows and tell a few home truths.

V

• Posted

Thanks yes my mom is frail weak an nt well at all docter said she may nt smoke at all as heart an lungs busy failing.....and has nt smoked for 2 weeks nw we knw after 60yrs it's not so easy......and somebody told us there is a nicotine free ecig....which she could use.....will see how she goes.....thanks everyone.....

• Posted

It will be the vapour or smoke of any kind that will be the irritant to her lungs. 

ecig vapours for instance make me cough, the same as aerosol deordorant, perfumes etc do.

can't see that it will help a patient with fluid on the lungs to take any kind of introduced irritant to the lungs.

I do suggest again contact with your Mom's GP and advice from a cessation clinic regarding your Mom's situation. To help her through the cravings without further risk to health.

But of course if your Mom has had the opportunity to discuss the risks with a health care professionals regarding her situation, the choice ultimately then is her own.

• Posted

Hi i would 100% not use ecig i treid them last year give me a really bad cough, i don't think vaping is good at all for your mum but i am not an expert.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.