Mom of a 17 yr old living with DI

Posted , 3 users are following.

My 17 year old son was diagnosed with central Di last June 2016 along with adrenal insufficiency, thyroid disease and low testosterone. All of this stemmed from malignant tumors called multiple Germinoma (brain cancer) which damaged the pituitary gland. We have already been through chemo and proton radiation. Thankfully the cancer is gone and we go every 3 months for MRI's...that my son has to be put to sleep for because now he experiences anxiety and having claustrophobia.

We are currently at Mass General Hospital in Boston where he was admitted 2 days ago because of his creatinine (Kidney) levels being high. Apparently they believe the chemo drug carboplatinum and previous use of some Motrin, and antibiotics (had wisdom teeth out last week)has damaged his kidneys. Noone told us to stay away from these meds. His Di is out of control and has been for some time. We knew he peed alot and drank alot even while taking his ddavp and living with this. I had voiced concerns to his endocrinologist that he has some good days and some awful days. Now that we are in hospital and speaking with all different teams. IF HIS DI IS CONTROLLED HE SHOULDN'T BE PEEING EVERY HOUR OR MORE AND GETTING UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT SEVERAL TIMES!!!! I am beyond frustrated right now!!

Right now they have him taking him double his ddavp dose but yet he was up and peed 3 x last night. We are in one of the best hospitals in the world and they are still baffled!! I just want my son to have a normal life. Any feedback would be much appreciated

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I went through hell with my mom when she became severely diabetic due to a medication she was on. I put her on a strict diet, with acupuncture and a few herbs and have been able to reverse the severe diabetes. However, she keeps getting recurring bladder infections, without pain, which I think are really kidney infection.  From what I've read, and seem, kidney problems don't always show with elevated creatinine.

• Posted

Oh April... You are all going through so much. I can only add my thoughts are with you.

And like you say it's one of the best hospitals in the world... It's encouraging that you have this.

Stay strong and positive 

xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.