Months after LP, visual distortion and neck pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

Had a LP in July of 2015.  Was down about 10 days but during those 10 days I had severe neck tightness and headaches.  Ever since then, my vison has changed.. almost like concussion symptoms where it's difficult to focus and by the end of the day my eyes are exhausted. I have found going to physical therapy relieves it but within days after, the tightness and vision problems return.  Anybody else experience this? Vision tests have all come back good so my eyes are fine. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hi Hun.... What did you have an LP for and was CSF removed..... As if CSF was removed you can suffer from low pressure head and neck aches...... Which can have a significant impact on your vision which may not necessarily show on an opthamolgy assessment.... 
    • Posted

They suspected a brain aneurysm (which was not the case).  I'm not sure on the amount but I did have CSF removed.  I experienced the low pressure headaches and neck pains for a solid 2 weeks after I had it.  I can say what i have now is nothing like that, but the neck pain is what I feel is still lingering.  Do you know what kind of tests or who i should ask my doctor to see about it?  I just assumed the pressure was ok given I can stand without that same pain and it's been almost a year. In all honesty i can live with the neck pain but my vision problems really takes a toll on me.
  • Posted

when an LP is preformed it can come with complications ich being the most common is nerve irritation or damage to the lumbar spine..... As a result of this is can cause referred pain to the cervical spine(neck)...... If this is the case it will most definitely cause visual disturbance..... As its part and parcel... I have cervical oastioarthitis which causes nerve impingment..... my head thumps with pain and my vision is poor..... With bilateral eye pain..... You need a referral to and oathapediic surgeon who will order a set of MRI and CT scans..... Then take it from there..... It may be worth getting a referral to a pain clinic for pain control...... Whilst you have an mRI scan request an intracranial one to check the optic nerves at the back of the eyes.... It may be worth having another LP to check your opening pressures as it is know that by having and LP where only a small amount of CSF is removed can cause or trigger Idiopathic Intercrainial hypertension....

dont let you doctor bully you.... Your within you rights to demand necessary scans and referals to help you find a diagnosis and solution..... X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.