Mood Stabilizers that do not cause weight gain and are effective

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello,

Is anyone on a mood stabilizer that does not cause any weight gain or just a little and has had good results in treating depression, anxiety and bipolar?

I appreciate any information.

Thank you!

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Mood stabilizers are a very broad category.  They include antipsychotics as well as anticonvulsants among other drugs.  Any drug you take will cause less weight gain than Zyprexa.

Some mood stabilizers that tend to have little or no weight gain commonly associated with them are drugs like Lamictal, Topamax, Saphris, Geodon, Abilify.  There are also other anticonvulsants like Carbamazepine, OxCarbamazepine, Lithium, Valproic Acid, and antipsychotics like, Seroquel or Risperdal both have still reasonably high weight gain but not nearly as much as Zyprexa.  Those are some options to ask your doctor about, instead of taking Zyprexa. 

• Posted

One last one I forgot to add, there is also Latuda your doctor can consider.
  • Posted

Lithium is good you put weight on at 1st but can get it off 😊

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

Been on lithium for 4 days, also take 20mgs citalopram. Blood test tomorrow morning.

I don't know anyone else on lithium, could do with some advice and support,

take care

Sxx

• Posted

Hi Denise this is such a broad subject. I was a registered health care professional for very many years ie 45 yrs. LI became I'll myself 6 yrs ago and was diagnosed with bi polar disorder but doubt has been c

• Posted

Sorry got cut off. But the problem is they all have side effects and it doesn't matter which one you take. The range of antidepressants you can take when you are unipolar or depressed tend to cause no problems at all and do not weight gain. The anti convulsants tend to cause weight gain as well as dental problems in the form of gum hypertrophy. Olanzapine is linked strongly with diabetes so you need to have your blood checked annually. You should be having ecg checks annually. Each drug drug has its own issues with complex drug interaction so please read the bumf. For example brufen affects sodium valproate blood levels and so on and so forth use the bnf site or mims site even better but you will have to pay for the privelege.

• Posted

Risperdal is good medicine foor such cases.
    • Posted

Have unipolar depression, not responding to anti depressant alone as anxiety high . Dr suggested risperidone. No bipolar but as an augmentation.  Do you think i should try it
  • Posted

Weight gain as a side effect isn't no big deal like most doctors would have you believe. Weight gain often means obesity or as very often the case of drugs like Zyprexa, morbid obesity. All of the increased risks of diseases, like heart disease, stroke, diabetes type II, cancer and more that you hear by heart and stroke, cancer societies, government health agencies regarding obesity are what the side effect "weight gain" should really be seen as.

Weight gain in many cases is a serious side effect and doctors have a responsibility to see it as such, as the serious health implications that they have for their patients when it comes to chosing medication, especially when alternatives are readily available in 2016.

• Posted

Almost forgot. Weight gain also has social implications and can cause issues with self esteem which in turn be a trigger for depression itself. Unfortunately such implications rarely cross the mind of doctors and very likely never cross the mind of doctors who put their patients on Zyprexa.

Important point is that weight gain isn't just weight gain.

• Posted

im on a mood stabilizer have been for years im on lamotrogine and never had any side effects no weight gain or anything 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.