Moon face

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm on a tapering dose of prednisone 60mg per day down to 20mg currently. I had a day in hospital 2 weeks ago where I had 400mg IV to try and get into remission with UC which, touch wood, seems to have worked.

I feel rough but I think it's a chest infection, cough and cold that I am trying to get over with the help of antibiotics.

Can anyone give me an idea of how long it will be before my face and body return back to normal? People don't recognise me at the moment and I have to keep explaining that I'm not actually pregnant it's a side effect of the drugs!!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It mostly disappears quite quickly once you get to low doses and off the pred although everyone is different. It is more difficult to avoid at the high doses - but it is possible and quite a few on my home forum (we are all on pred for the duration of our illness) have avoided weight gain and minimised the moon face by cutting carbd drastically. I lost 36lbs - and the midriff fat, buffalo hump and fat face. This year I've been on above 10mg pred since February - no hamster cheeks at all. 

It will go - just be patient. And maybe help it along a bit?

• Posted

Thanks for your advice. The moon face only became really bad when I had the iv steroids. I've put on a stone since Oct and feel bloated although I'm not eating more just not as active as I'm so tired all the time.

• Posted

Pred changes how your body processes carbs - so you don't even have to eat more. It also makes you retain fluid too - some of my friends eat things like asparagus, garlic and ginger. 

Know all about the TATT syndrome - try to manage short "bursts" of actiivty - you don't have to walk for ages, 3 times 10 mins is the same as 1 x 30 mins but a lot easier to achieve. And you will feel better afterwards. 

This too shall pass...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.