Morbidly obese - can anybody recommend a good starter exercise program?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been morbidly obese for many years and this has increased over the last few years when i have suffered from depression.  I am now starting to stabilise on a new drug regime for my depression and am losing weight through dieting.  What I would ike is an exercise program in a book or on a DVD so that i could start at home before joining the gym.  I am already doing some nordic pole walking but I am too embarrased to go swimming or to the gym at the moment.  Any recommendations would be gratefully received.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hey alison30832

Start out at your own pace. Never over do it .

Start with stairs. Walking up and down stairs.

Take long walks .

Try 5 crunches. 5 sit ups. 5 leg lifts.

5 bicycle movements with your legs. Laying down on your back.

Every night increase by 5 for each.

Try Tae bo cardio by billy blanks.

You can order or go on youtube.

Some people like hip hop abs.

Check it out on youtube before buying..

Reduce bread intake.. more vegetables . More fish.

Lots of water.

Buy a workout mat.

Sauna suit makes you sweat ..

hope this helps. Never give up. You can achieve what ever you put your mind to.

• Posted

Dear Alison,

I have sympaphy for you but am pleased you have decided to do something about it. May I suggest that you need a lot of support with what must be a change of lifestyle which must come in two parts: Eating habbits and ways to expend your energy to loose those inches. If you live in the UK can I suggest that you visit your lolcal Slimming World Club. There you should find friends and support and help to change to healthy eating. Your message suggests that you are much overweight and in the first place I would reccommend a walking programme. First a two mile stroll which should be completed without a lot of effort in one hour, and go from there, improving your time and length of walk. Study the pack you will be given at Slimming world and forget weighing every day, only weigh at meetings.

Don't think that you  will get the job done in a week or two but be prepared to persevere for several months and even for a lifetime once you have  got to target.

Like me you probably have a sweet tooth and love your food, you will have to be very strong to attain an attractive size and acceptable weight. By joining a slimming club you will find support and help from people like yourself. Another asset will be that you will make friends which will probably help your depression. Have you found that after a cup of tea and a natter your depression lifts a little? 

I wish you love and success in your important project and look forward to the day you post: "I've made it"  Charlie.

• Posted

Dear Alison,

I have sympaphy for you but am pleased you have decided to do something about it. May I suggest that you need a lot of support with what must be a change of lifestyle which must come in two parts: Eating habbits and ways to expend your energy to loose those inches. If you live in the UK can I suggest that you visit your lolcal Slimming World Club. There you should find friends and support and help to change to healthy eating. Your message suggests that you are much overweight and in the first place I would reccommend a walking programme. First a two mile stroll which should be completed without a lot of effort in one hour, and go from there, improving your time and length of walk. Study the pack you will be given at Slimming world and forget weighing every day, only weigh at meetings.

Don't think that you  will get the job done in a week or two but be prepared to persevere for several months and even for a lifetime once you have  got to target.

Like me you probably have a sweet tooth and love your food, you will have to be very strong to attain an attractive size and acceptable weight. By joining a slimming club you will find support and help from people like yourself. Another asset will be that you will make friends which will probably help your depression. Have you found that after a cup of tea and a natter your depression lifts a little? 

I wish you love and success in your important project and look forward to the day you post: "I've made it"  Charlie.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.