More surgery on other foot for heel spur

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi for those of you who know me, I just wanted to share some news and ask advice. I recently broke my toe two weeks after my operation. Due to that my bungion has returned. I also have a floppy toe after a tendon release on my second toe.. I am due to go back on the. First of Sept to review my foot and discuss another operation. I have A spur on my heel, which has inflamed my Achilis Tendon, after struggling now with various treatments, physio, ultra sound steroid injection and a wait of over a year to see a different Orthopedic Consultant  I went to see someone last week.. It appears my tendon is so inflamed no there is no option but to have surgery. One to remove the spur and two to sort out the tendon.. I was quite shocked to get such a prompt diagnoses. Not only am I having surgery but I am booked in for next month. The new consultant has told me no way will I be able to have my bungion on the other foot done until this Is sorted.. He has offered to take on the care of my floppy to and bungion once I have recovered from the tendon one.. It's all taken me aback and I am in a dilemma what to do re the bungion op.. Keep my original doctor for the bungion one but delay the appointment or switch it all to the one consultant.. At the moment they are at different hospitals... 😕

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

This second consultant sounds as if he knows what he is talking about.  Do you have confidence in him?  If so, stick with him and don't even think about having another foot done till one is sorted.
    • Posted

Yes I like him, as do I like the other... He seems to know his stuff but I am scared that he might let me down and not do my bungion... ( it's alright I am a terrible worrier) because the first sort of made a little mistake I  think he feels sort of obligated to do it again.. Although the bungion returning was my fault for falling and breaking the toe. Two weeks after the operation.. He is nice and makes me smile.. But they are both very nice young doctors.. 
    • Posted

Hi again, after my experience of this op and at four months I'm just so pleased I had my worst bunion done first, because there is no way that I would even think about having the other one done.  Leave well alone, so much can go wrong, it takes toooo long to heal, and right now I feel worse than I was four months ago.  Listen to yourself, ask yourself if you want to go through all this again.  I certainly wouldn't have my other bunion done until the first one was totally healed, but anyway I'm not having the other done anyway.  Good luck with your decision.
    • Posted

Barbara, the bungion operation is to correct the first operation on my left foot, like you I kind of wish I had never had it done.. However it has to be done because I can't get shoes on because of the floppy toe. However the operation that needs doing first is my Achelis tendon.. It is highly inflamed and has been for two years. It's so damaged it needs sorting and I am in constant agonising pain. i have tried everything apart from surgery and it's just got worse..
    • Posted

Sorry, I didn't read your post properly,  I guess I'm just thinking of my own experience and telling myself enough is enough.  I really hope it all goes well for you.  I am having problems with my hammer toe, it hasn't healed properly, just hope I dont have to have more surgery myself.  Big toe not as bad as yours, though I can't move it much, and it tires easily.  But I think my surgeon will tell me it takes at least six months. sad
    • Posted

Yes it does take a lot longer, I am still getting pain in my bungion foot and a lot of stiffness. I had my op in February. I dread to think how long it will take to recover from. The next foot. I still get swelling especially at night.xx
  • Posted

I completely agree, concentrate on one foot at a time, cancel the bunion op.  If the second surgeon is reluctant to do your bunion after he has rectified your problem then you can always request another appointment with the first later on.  I very much doubt that this second surgeon will not go on to do your bunion after he has sorted out these problems though.  Can you imagine being unable to walk at all with both feet for months, don't take the risk.
    • Posted

Oh Rosie there is no way I would do that, I had enough trouble with the first operation and one foot lol.. I could not manage to keep upright on one foot with out falling on my operated foot and breaking the newly operated toe.. This time it's going to be twice as long, no heel shoe after two weeks either... 😫 I think I had better sleep on the loo lol 😃
  • Posted

hi there, i had both bunions done at the same time and correction with pin to my toe... i must say having both done has not been easy... having one good foot to help you support what you have had surgery to must be an help... it  has been so difficult and so painful having the two done... you sound like you have gone through enough, and i would certainly have a good think of how the after surgery issues would affect you if both feet were to be in healing... i am ten weeks post op and its been not only a painful journey but also an emotional rollercoaster, not being able to function at normal task, being immobile, staying at home for weeks, i have been out but in a wheelchair and i so did not like that... but i was getting so low my sister said fresh air would do me good and it did... the choice of surgeons has to be with what you feel inside is right for you and confident with.... but i am only trying to tell you how i have felt having pain in both feet at once... no two days are the same and i am trying to cope with the daily swelling and burning that this surgery brings... i do so feel for you, you sound like you have had a rough time all round, and i so wish you well and happy feet again... we will all get there, it just takes time and alot of patience x
  • Posted

Hi Sue. Very pleased for you having got your Achiles problem almost sorted at last and woah..what a quick appointment too! But can understand your dilemma re the 2 surgeons ...perhaps  you just postpone your appointment with your 1st surgeon to a later date  when you're recovered  from your achiles surgery? That way you can have a bit of a breathing space to decide and keep all your options open with both!! Sounds like you're still confident of the 1st surgeon to sort that poor foot of yours out for you so probably worth not dismissing him right now ....worth asking your GP which he thinks is the best surgeon for your bunion revision op too? Im sure whatever you decide will be the best for you. Have all crossed things progress well for you and recovery from your new surgery will be quick and give you brilliant results. Make sure you take good care and treat yourself well meantime!!! 
    • Posted

Thanks Bee, I must admit I think your idea is a good idea..i think that's an excellent idea.. I will postpone my bungion consultant.. Get this op over with and then take it from there. If I am not happy with the suggestions the new consultant makes for doing the bungion one again.. I will go back to the other..😷😷😷meanwhile this time I must take care and not fall over... Not easy with epilepsy.. 😉 xx
    • Posted

Poor poor you...., sounds like you have way too much to contend with, that's very unfair indeedsad,  for sure I'll really  be wishing all goes really well for you. Yep, you need to play those surgeons to your benifit for sure..heheee. Hope too your other half is currently pampering and spoling you like mad!! Make sure you get at least a couple of visits to your great sounding Spa at your Health Club before September too!! xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.