Mortons Neuroma

Posted , 14 users are following.

I was diagnosed with a Mortons neuroma between toe 2 & 3 in my left foot in march 2014. I was to have surgery on December 2014 to remove it after having insoles from podiatry and not making any difference. When my consultant came to speak to me prior to my surgery he said he wasn't going to remove the neuroma as it was smaller (6.5mm) than HR likes them to be (9-10mm)!! But he would straighten my big toe as it was fairly squint and squashing my other toes and he felt that this would give the other toes a bit more space and I would get less pain from the neuroma. Anyway long story short I've had the toe straightened but still in a lot of pain on ball of my foot and in top at base of both toes 2&3 and consultant today wanted 2 give me more surgery to now remove the neuroma!! Due to having had lots of time off work for the earlier surgery I'm unable to take any more time off just yet so om getting an ultrasound guided cortisone injection - had anybody had this and did it give you any relief? I'm hoping that this will ease my pain and give me a bit longer before I need further surgery. Sorry for the long post and would be grateful for any advise. Thanks

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Everyone is different to how they react to the injections. I had mine and just went down hill. I have now had mine removed and am 6 days post op.

However I have heard others saying they have had relief.

Hope you find something that works x

• Posted

Hi Emma. You must now be a few months post op. How are you doing? What does your foot feel like? Do you have numbness?and a tight, stiff feeling across your foot? I have all of this as well as severe pain in the ball of my foot and in my toes when I walk. I am 7 weeks post op and starting to doubt that this will get better.
    • Posted

My cortisone injection made my food feel like there was an explosion inside and something trying to get out of my foot for about five days. Apparently not uncommon. But it did nothing for my Morton. 

• Posted

Hi Yaffa Malka - I'd love to know how your foot is feeling now four months later, as I am also 7 weeks post op on my foot and have severe pain in the ball of my foot which is driving me crazy!  Thanks.
  • Posted

Hello I had double bunion surgery 7 months ago now still having trouble walking. My right foot is the worst. The foot feels squashed and a ball under my foot restricting movement. They say I gave Chronic Reginal Pain Syndrome. They are sending me for a nerve block not sure how that works. How did you find out that you have Morton Neuroma? What test did u have as what you are discribing sounds like my foot. Hope u get relief soon. rake Care
    • Posted

Hi had an mri and then an ultrasound where they picked it up in also had a test done on my foot where they squash the toes together and there's a 'click' mulders click I think it's called. But my surgeon was reluctant to remove it in December last year as it wasn't as big as he likes them to be before removing them mine was 6.5mm and he orders hem to be about 9 or 10 as the scar tissue u would be left with is sometimes more painful. Hope you get some relief from the pain soon as I understand how painful it can be. I'm actually sitting here with an ice pack on my foot so that it gets the swelling down before I can get a sandal on!! Xx
  • Posted

Ultra-sound guided cortisone into the second metatarso-phalangeal joint would be the treatment of choice, provided it was administered by a capable clinician or radiologist.Forget the misguided concept of "Morton's neuroma".
    • Posted

Thanks for that information. It definitely seems like the best option for me as I really can't afford any more time off work for further surgery. Any idea how long the effects of this should last or is it that everybody is different? I'm hoping that this will at least see me through the winter when I have to wear enclosed shoes / boots. xx
    • Posted

In my experience it might last some years. However the "age related deformities of the foot", of which these pains are inderect consequences, are (unpredictably) progressive.
    • Posted

I've been waiting for an appointment t from radiology for 3 weeks now so I called the department today to find out how long in would have to wait for an appointment. I as told that my referral had been returned to my consultant as that wasn't something that the radiology current offered. This was in nhs fife area. Have you any idea of this us something that is available or can my consultant refer me to another nhs area that does offer it? I really don't want to go for further surgery. Thanx
    • Posted

I am sorry to hear that, but not all that surprised.

Can I suggest that you write to the CEO and ask him what you are now expected to do?

• Posted

Hi I've just had a letter from my consultant telling me that radiology no longer offer the guided cortisone service so he is getting me back into clinic to have a blind cortisone carried out. I'm not sure if this will work but I feel it's worth a try rather than having to go down the surgery route just now or am.i better goinf for surgery?I am.due at a wedding the day after I get my cortisone injection and was wondering if ill be able 2 get dressy low sandals on or will my foot be swollen! Thanks
    • Posted

Cortisone injected into the precincts of a traumatised inter-digital nerve does improve the pain for a period. It does not alter the mechanisms of the injury to that nerve, and recurrence is common if not inevitable.

It is unlikely that an injection the day before the wedding will incapacitate you (provided it is performed with skill). Indeed it might make the wedding more pleasant.

• Posted

Well I had my cortisone injection on Friday and so far so good! I got the injection in the 2nd & 3rd Web space and 3rd & ethical Web space. It was sore when the needle went in and then again when he moved it to the next Web space and was numb for a good few hours. I went to the wedding on Saturday and although had a bit of pain the in the morning and took an ibuprofen and cocodamol that's the last painkillers I've taken. I had a great day and night and danced way more than I have been able to for a long long time. Fingers crossed this works for a few months at least.
  • Posted

Hi sallyg06,

Had my MN op on Sunday, everything went well. Up on my feet just a bit sore where the stitches are however I know it will better when I get them out. Had suffered with pain in right foot for years, the doctors said it was nothing I just imagined pain. How glad was I when a replacement doctor sent me to orthopaedic and tramur consultant who sent me for a X-ray nothing showed up, then sent for scan. I had the injection and it did work for a month, then bit by bit the pain came back so he suggested the op. At last I feel it's going to be ok. So just keep going back Sally. Don't it like I did and just suffered. I will never take negative suggestions from doctors again. I hope you get it sorted. My MN was between 2 & 3rd toe as normally its 3/4 toes. Good luck. I live near Birmingham - England. It does depend where you live.

• Posted

Hey Jenny, I have had MN for several years, with quite a few cortizone shots, however my dr suggested that I do the dehydranated alochol injections which deaden the nerve from my understanding, He said up to 7 most need only 3 or 4, My first one went well, on the 2nd one the injection hurt, left my, toes and top of foot bruised, for days it was hard to tloerate walkinging, Iwent back told the doc, he said bruising is normal,he would only do half injection, foot still swollen oin top, he did, this time no bruising as the first, but hard to tolerate the walking. I went back in 2 weeks, and my mind was made up no more injections. When I asked if he was suppose to do these with a sonogram he said added expense, when you do as many as he did you know where to inject, I told him no more, that I could hardly move the toe, swollen on top, pain on the top which I never experienced, my pain was always in the ball of the foot like I was walking on a peanut. so he xrayed it, and said he need to clam the foot down, put me in a boot, and said he thnks I have a stress fracture. Please, who do yuo go to a orthopedic, or a poditrist. Sorry so long, I need advice sice all i see is bad stuff on MN, nothing is postive you read
    • Posted

Hi Jeanne, so sorry to hear things not going well. I had my MN done 3 weeks ago and all though it's painfull not half as bad as the pain I was suffering every day. I only had 1 injection it worked for a month then pain again. So when I saw my consultant he said surgery and I know some people's views are against surgery. I made the decision, and had it done. My   

Two toes look black however seen the nurse to check my wound and so far so good. It's early days but as I say so far so good. I have suffered this pain for so long and my doctor could find anything so it was when I saw another doc who said me to trauma and orthopaedic who X-ray it nothing showed up and I thought here we go again however when they did a scan the MN was seen. It was all go after that. So it was the scan and the consultant giving me the choice. So please go back Jeanne, I now know it was me just taking there word and not insisting I wanted something done. I have suffered for years and was starting to believe that it was in my head. Never again, it has made me stronger. I will now be more assertive. Take care and let me know how you get on. Take care. Good luck. Don't suffer..

• Posted

Hey Jenny, I went back to my podatrist who had me in a boot for 2 weeks after 3 injections, which really aggrivated the foot and caused more imflamation, the boot was to calme the foot,make sure was stress fracture. He then suggested the surgery for MN, I told him I wanted to think about it, went without the boot for 3 days. No way. I got back to dr in 1 more wek and have decided to go for the surgery. How is your doing?

• Posted

Hi Jeanne, yes doing really well, still a little painfull however not taking quinine tablets at night any more. Booked to go to the theatre next week were there will be crowds of people. So must be feeling confident in myself, my husband can't get over how well I am. So I'm glad I had it done. I do hope it goes well for you, each is different . However be positive, wishing you well. Let me know how you get on. 
    • Posted

Hey Jenny, hope you are doing well with you surgery, Wanting to see how things are going for you, and to let you know my surgery has been scheduled for Nov 3rd. I am a little nervous, I ve tried everything to help it, now its pretty much live with or surgery, still a little nervous about my decision, bit I have had enough of the pain.
    • Posted

Hi Jeanne, oh I'm doing fine hardly any pain now just having trouble fitting into my shoes, however pleased I had the op. My appointment is in a couple of weeks with my consultant so will let you know what he says. I wish you all the best for your op, go with a positive mind. I'm sure. you will be fine. Just a few weeks of slight pain - nothing like we have suffered before. Will be thinking of you, keep in touch and let me know how you get on. Take care. Hugs x

• Posted

Hey Jenny, I had my surgery today, so far I am glad I did. Yes I have pain, I am on pain medications, but the dr told my husband that was biggest nerve he ever saw. So I am definately glad for my decision, so far positive attitude on first day
    • Posted

Hi Jenny

Hope you don't mind me contacting you after such a long time and out of the blue. just found this forum.

I have a NM which I've been putting up with for a couple of years now and having had cortizone and cryosurgery have got the point of wanting to go the surgical route. It is impacting my sport which is long distance horse riding.

Do you mind telling me how your foot is now following surgery to remove the NM and if your experience has been a positive one or not.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.