mortons neuroma surgery

Posted , 10 users are following.

I've recently been diagnosed with a mortons neuroma by both my GP and a physio, although neither have requested imaging - my GP prodded one area of my foot and said its a neuroma and the physio did a lot of flexing, bending, questioning and prodding before saying its a neuroma. I've had pain for about 14 months or so. I'm currently having physio on my tight calf muscles and dry needling before being fitted for orthotics.

From the bit of research I've seen online, it appears that 75% of people with the condition eventually go on to have surgery.

My question is - has anyone ever skipped all the orthotics/physio/cortisone injections/etc. and gone straight for surgery if it is most likely inevitable anyway?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had the surgery done 4weeks ago together with the bunion on my right foot. Recovery is long but my foot is important! Pain is much less now and I look forward to being able to walk for longer than 30 min pain free. I did not want to go back and forth for numerous treatments. The neuroma was very painful.
  • Posted

I had a double Cheilectomy 2 years ago. This was because I have arthritis in my feet and had spurs growing in the joints of my big toes (same area as Bunions develop but different issue).It took six months for the swelling and post op pains to go and then I developed a Mortons Neuroma. 3 different podiatrists have seen me, the first scanned my foot and found the Neuroma and referred me to another podiatrist to arrange insoles for m y shoe, This person said the Neuroma is not the main issue but tight calf muscles. He referred me to a further podiatrist after cutting up bits of chiropody felt and inserting them into insoles. This had an amazing effect of instantly removing the pain from the neuroma. The third podiatrist said that my neuroma has been caused by my operation and the swelling it produced initially and will work to relieve both the pressure of my big toe and the neuroma. SInce I saw him 2 weeks ago the familiar symptoms have now developed in my other foot, mirroring the place of pain on the other. I would like to point out that online I found research that said alcohol injections into the neuroma are the most successful method of treatment as surgery is temporary and can cause other issues and cortizone has a limited effect.
    • Posted

Dlh,

You describe having pain and swelling for 6 months after double cheilectomy. I have had a similar procedure about 2 months ago. I have recently returned to work and find that my feet swell quite easy and I'm suffering pain in and around the joints. Sometimes sharp burning and sometimes a dull sensation. I hope this is post op healing. Though sometimes loose heart. How would you describe your pain at two months post op if you can remember?

• Posted

Hi idkelly, I had a Mortons Neuroma for 5 years and every 3 months I had the cortisone injections wich worked. However, I felt that the time between shots were getting shorter and I decided to research it further. I was reluctant to have surgery as it has its own complications. I finally sourced a doctor who did laser treatment and two laser treatments later and 4 years on I havent had a pain. I also now wear fit flops all of the time as I no longer can wear heels. But to be painfree and be able to runĀ  again is life transforming. I wish you luck, it has to be the most painful thing and I cannot believe my luck that I am now painfree.

Teresas

• Posted

What was the laser procedure? I've had a neuroma removed but still feel a tugging sensation. Wondering if additional soft tissue work would help. I think there is still a mechanical issue that's affecting the movement. thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.