Motivation

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had a life (once) - it involved two legs working properly and an ability to get through a day without popping pills! I am delighted to have got half a resolve from the oa pain with hip replacement number one. 

Sometimes it is hard to find motivation to get through the day when it feels like your life is in suspended animation,your job has just disappeared up the Swannee and you still can't put a sock on .

As I am a great one for lists, I have put one on the fridge. It gives me bite sized goals to achieve. I wonder what anyone else is striving for?

1.Starting a new business

2. Travelling again

3. Spending time with me chickens

4. Getting out and about in Cornwall again

5. Umm, me chickens!

5 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kate,

When did you have your op?

I'm riddled with OA too and can understand just where you're coming from!

We keep Light Sussex too.

Chin up.

Anna x

• Posted

Hi Anna, the chickies are a big motivation for me. The live at the top of out hillside garden so I am working hard to get back to them. Our Light Sussex are complete dollops, the pic is of our rooster, Igor the Magnificent. We also have buff Sussex and Buff Orphingtons and a handful of rescued Redstars (the other pic is  Redstar, Betty, who loves yogurt).

I had my op on 30th June. I developed symtoms of oa almost overnight last year with searing pain in my hips. Then everything fell apart and I even had to have my carpal tunnels done at the beginning of 2015. Guess it's my annus horribilis - but am fighting back to health!

• Posted

Hi again,

It's very early days for you! And at least you have hills to practise your walking. Not a chance here in the flat Fens!

We have 6 LS layers, 2 Ickworth and 2 Marans - babies!

You have to be a patient patient!!

Anna x

• Posted

Hi Anna,

greetings from Exeter, where we do have Dartmoor, tho not your lovely Bewick Swans and other fab birdlife (other than chickens) in the winter!

mic

x

• Posted

You had your surgery exactly the same day I did. Your motivations are good. Mine are gettin gout and about and not dreading walking so funny as I did before surgery. Being able to get on the floor with my house rabbits, play with my great granddaughter (2) and just feeling normal and up for anything. Not too much to wish for do you thinnk?
    • Posted

You will get all that and more, Jhb, but hope you don't get gout!
  • Posted

Hi Katie

1 down 1 to go, I hope you don't have to wait too long for your next one!

I know how you feel, I am 13 weeks post RTHR and have just been told they are going to try an arthroscopy on my left to see if it helps before doing a replacement. 

You our hit the nail n the head, it is like being in suspended animation!

Do you live in Cornwall?  I do and I love it but still find it difficult walking on the coastal paths as they are so uneven, will be a while yet!

Good luck

Paula x

• Posted

Hey Paula, ohhhh, where are you? I am just outside Camborne and had my op done at St Michaels, Hayle on 30th June. My consultant is Mark Norton. 

This time of year we are constantly out and about so getting back to walking the coast is a major motivation. At the moment I am too unstable to walk on much more than pavements but looking forward to dune walking at Gwithian and along North Cliffs from Portreath to Hells Mouth (not yet though, don't want to fall over that particular suicide spot!)

• Posted

Hi Katie

Snap, had my op at Hayle with Mark Norton!  My op was on the 28th April, so I have just returned to work on a phased return.  I'm over in Indian Queens.

Even at 13 weeks post op I prefer pavement walking, although the Camel Trail is not too bad but 2-3 miles is my limit at the moment.  I'm so unfit as it took almost 3 years to get to the point of the op!

Yes, stay away from the cliffs lol xx

• Posted

He is a bit of a hip wizard, the best in at least the southwest but I seem to have a scar longer than anyone else's (9inches).

I am also very unfit although only had symptoms from June last year I think I was crumbling long before then.

I can't return to my job as I do floor and very physical work with under 5's and he said I would be back for a revision in 5 years. This was all a bit of a shock. I am still waiting to hear if I can have some pension early as I was dismissed/retired on ill health. I am also looking at having the other one done after Christmas - oh joy.

I love the Camel Trail but would want one of those little bike carts that the kids have!! 

• Posted

My scar is also 9" but it is very neat, I am pleased with how it's looking!  I've put a picture below, this was at 9 weeks.

Luckily I am office based so I'm still ok for work, I can imagine the shock you will have had being told you could no longer continue your work.  I hope you get your pension sorted.

I have a funny vision of you now in your little bike cart.  Once you have the other hip sorted you will be much better, so this time next year you will be on the bike instead of in the cart!

I am going swimming on Thursday but it's such hard work not to do the frog legs as I only like to do breast stroke.  So I do breast stroke arms and kick my feet but have to really Think about what I am doing!

Xx

• Posted

Hi Paula,

Just found an AVON lady (yes they still exist!), and ordered the 'save our skin' SOS product folk here say is good for scar healing -watch this space!

Mic

x

• Posted

Mr Norton obviously has a style - mine is identical with the little whippy curve at the top!. Mine is also neat and fading fast (I use coconut oil and bio oil). I will get Sean to take a pic.

I also noticed your tat. I was a little nervy about having my op because at 52 I have a certain amount of body art and have a fourish of lillies up the whole of my right side from hip to underarm. I needn't have worried, the whole of the nursing staff came to look at it!

• Posted

He certainly does!

I am also using coconut and bio oil.  Mr Norton did threaten to go through Eeyores ears but then said he could miss him!  Yes I am 46 and have 9 tattoos, they are soooo addictive, but I have not been brave enough to have one up my side! 

• Posted

Thanks Mic, hope it works for you, currently using bio and coconut oil!
    • Posted

Renee, I never though, in all my days, that someone would be saying "cool scar" and me agreeing with them!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.