Movement causes SVT

Posted , 26 users are following.

I have had SVT for about 12 years now, as well as the full SVT attacks I get lots of little one of strange beats that sometimes turn into the full thing, but most of the time don't. I find that bending down, even to put my shoes causes an abnormal beat or 2. Also after eating I can feel like I am about to have an attack and often have a mini one.

Doctors have always told me that these cannot be caused by bending down, but this continues to happen, when I get days like this I hardly dare move, it's completely ruling my life, does anyone else have this same experience?

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes i get them from bending down or getting up. Anything can trigger them for me. Glad I'm not alone!!
  • Posted

I too get svt from bending over, also if I reach up suddenly. I think this is a common trigger as my next door neighbour has the same problems! I am now on verapamil to prevent this.
  • Edited

I once had SVT when I bent over to pick something up, so yes it could be a trigger, but I have found ways of stopping the 'attacks' when they happen. The most effective for me is to take a really deep breath and then close my mouth and hold my nose and blow really hard (with your mouth still closed). This seems to stop it immediately. I think the main thing is that you have to move the chest in some way, so coughing can help too. Also, don't panic - try to stay calm - remember SVT on its own is not life threatening. I found another useful technique on this website, from Simon Brown, where you lie down on your right hand side, curl into a ball, knees up to your chin, and completely relax, take deep breaths and this has stopped the SVT twice for me. I still get worried about getting an attack as it's not the most pleasant experience, and I know that it always feels like you're dying when you have an attack, but the main thing is you have to try to relax because the anxiety makes it worse and can prolong the attacks. Diet is important too, try avoiding too much caffiene or alcohol. My attacks are thankfully infrequent (the last one was a few months ago and only lasted a few seconds, using my above technique to stop it). I think it's the fear of the unknown which causes most of the anxiety. I was much more scared of the attacks when I didn't know what it was and I had two or three attacks in the past which went on for over three hours, and on one occasion had to have that horrible injection to stop it, but now, having managed to control it on a few occasions, I'm not as anxious about it. My advice would be that if you don't manage to stop the SVT with these techniques after about half-an-hour then go to A&E. It's important that you go through the hospital if yout SVT is frequent and causes other symptoms so that you can be fully examined to make sure there is no other underlying cause.
    • Edited

Thank you so much.  I have SVT, and was just having an attack. My RHR was 185 bpm and I held my breath and mouth and nose and did what you said...it went down to 80 instantly!
    • Posted

That is a Valsalva manuever and a typical self-treatment for SVT. I don't always do the full process, but holding my breath and/or laying down flat seems to work for me most of the time!

• Posted

I was told that this \"positional trigger\" was very common, and is frequently a problem for tennis or golf players who bend over to pick up the ball. My solution (which I intuitively discovered at age 13) is to crouch and inhale very slowly through my nose and exhale though my mouth. From what I understand everyone has a different \"fix.\"
  • Posted

I've had the same experience with my SVT - triggers are bending down and reaching up and of course caffiene. Coughing may or may not stop it, but lying on my side and totally relaxing seems to.  Episode usually last 30-60 minutes.

I will be trying some of the techniques you all have offered, since I'm new to this board.  I take 240mg diltiazem in the am and 120 mg in the evening and until about one month ago, this was keeping me it TOTAL control.  Then I started having several episodes a week.  Not sure what happened, other than having an cortesone injection for sciatica.  After that procedure, the SVT started acting up. Don't see how that could have affected it, but who knows.

Thank you all for contributing ideas here.

• Posted

Hey,movements causes svt in me,particularly when sleeping on the left side and turning to the right.so also when you have to move from left side while bending,to the right side.Getting up from the left side of the bed also triggers svt.Tight pants belt,getting a liftoff in a plane just after food also have trigerred svt in me.

• Posted

Yes,Abrupt moves ,especially from left to right have initiated it on me.and after dinner,and after drinking much of water,when your stomach is full,strange beats starts and end up in train run.Tight belt with full stomach is a sure bet.Even when you get up from a bed or sofa it triggers one.
  • Posted

Yes definitely movement causes this. Iv had svt 13 years now. Only managed to record it last month and actually get a diagnosis as my attacks are sometimes months between and last max 3/5 minutes. But those few minutes are terrifying.

I notice exercising particularly football and kickboxing which I used to do professionally were triggers, also jumping up and down like jumping Jack's, or jumping from high objects to the ground was a major one.

I find I get like a few little palpitations before the svt kicks in then all hell breaks loose. Rate of about 210-250 varying . Still to find a good recovery method though 😔 they control my whole life now , just horrible .

• Posted

Hi!

I was wondering if you had figured out how to help manage your svt? I'm 23 and they finally captured an episode when I was wearing the event monitor a few months ago. I've tried taking beta blockers but I hate how they make me feel. My doctor mentioned the ablation surgery because svt has been completely controlling my life. I used to be very active playing multiple sports, volleyball, softball, running, going to the gym mutple times a week and now I'm terrified to do any of it because exercise tends to trigger my svt. Especially things like squatting or anything that has quick movements. I'm a little concerned about the ablation but I don't want to live the rest of my life in fear.

• Posted

Please tell your doctors they are wrong.  SVT most certainly can be triggered by changing body positions.  I and many other SVT patients will fiercely attest to that.  Those of us with appropriate backgrounds can offer plausible explanations (mechanical stimulation of the heart muscle, alterations of messages being delivered by the vagus nerves, etc.), but that and $2 would still buy just one con leche in Key West.

Now, and more importantly, please believe me and others who'll tell you your response to SVT is normal.  It can be extremely frightening.  Please do as much reading as you can (these forums are helpful), work with your doctors, and expect to do  well with your SVT.  There's a good chance  there's a cure in your future.  We all hope that for you. 

• Posted

Hi I just read this post and at this very moment am having svt attack. I felt strange after eating. Tried to ignore it but as soon as I walked and then bent down my heart shot up to 170. I lie flat on my back or even stomach and stop moving. Just breathe and it's back to normal. As soon as I get up it shoots up again. So you are absolutely correct. I have teed this out so many times as I am very new to Svt and am learning more everyday. It sucks but today I realize my limitations are basically no exercise. Yesterday I went for a walk and ws fine. I don't completely understand why some days I can feel ok and other days are complete write off. Anyway thanks for sharing...I don't feel as alone and scared. It used to trigger anxiety attacks but now I take control of my mind because I know it's Svt.

• Posted

You're not alone, Shelley, and it's great news that you're doing better with your fear.  Keep learning.  There's a good chance you'll soon be helping other SVT people deal with their challenges.  I'm very optimistic for you.  Take care. 

• Edited

I am having an attack now.  I ate a large lunch and then when i bent over to pick something up it started.  It is caused from something being irritated in the upper part of the stomach.  I pull my stomach down and rock from side to side and it generally goes back to normal after that.  OR take some maylox. your stomach may be to acid.
    • Posted

It's encouraging to see so many of us learning lots of ways to stop SVT.  Maybe we'll learn to control the monster more and more.

• Posted

How are you doing now? I also have the same feeling about the upper part of the stomach.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.