Movicol vs Dulcoease

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been having a ot of issues with my bowel movements following on from severe constipation which was the result of excessive pain medication after a complicated Right Hemicolectomy (removal of half of my large bowel.)

I have been taking Movicol, but find all this does is make loose, bitty and very splattery bowel movements, which are full of wind and painful to pass, despite not being a hard solid.  The wind makes it painful I think.  But there is nothing resembling stool at all just splattery buts of poop.

I wondered if it is too strong for where I am now in this process - and wondered if Dulcoease might be a better alternative?

Because of the constipation, I developed an Anal Fissue, which is so so painful, so its important I keep my stool soft.

I am drinking lots of water and including lots of fibre - but its this stool softenere issue I am wondering about - which works better for this type of situation.  I would like to be passing soft stools rather than pebble dashing my toilet bowl.  

Can anyone help?  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My colo rectal surgeon recommended 1 x fybogel & 1/2 laxido together in the same glass night & morning.  Works for me & has been working for the last year now.  The laxido gets things moving & the fybogel seems to hold it all together.

I tried dulcoease once or twice & found it gave me dreadful cramps & diarrhoea (like if you've eaten something that's disagreed with you), but we're all different, so you need to find out what works for you.  Tip: do not take it & then go on the tube where there are no toilets...I've never been so pleased to get to work.

I used to have bad IBS which is maybe why I reacted badly to it.  I now have slow transit constipation instead as the nerves to my bowel were badly damaged during hysterectomy.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I am sorry that happened to you - in your hysterectomy.  I had not thought of half-ing a packet of Movicol - might try that.  I think I still need a little help, but a whole pack just seemed too make it too slushy.  

Thanks for your reply.  smile  

• Posted

Hello there.

i found lactulose works well it keeps everything soft but normal, it is a liquid that you get over the counter, I take 30ml at the same time every day 9 pm and keeps me regular.

hope that helps.

• Posted

Thanks Neil.  I have been given Lactuose on several occassions with no results - however - they were giving it to me for constipation.  As a softener, it might be ore effective.

Thank you.  smile  

• Posted

Dulcoease is lactolose, just a softener. Dulcolax is the one which is the one to avoid as although it works really well, can give cramps and pains etc., just like any other product.

Dulcoease is good, but I had to increase the dose - their recommended didn't work for me. My GP prescribed the same product, Dulcoease is the trade name of the drug.

Fybogel is quite good too I find, but I hate the stuff to be honest. I also find that drinking more doesn't really impact that much on my situation. All the best with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.