Moving on from the Nexplanon.

Posted , 25 users are following.

I had my Nexplanon implant inserted in February 2012, so I've had it for almost 2 years.

At first I was fine, and I thought I'd escaped all of the horrific symptoms that people had posted online. (Before having it put in, I thought there was a chance I'd be okay as my mum never had any symptoms with it).

But over the last 6 - 12 months things have got a little unbearable. I have gained 2 stone, I was a big size 8 - small size 10 (UK) before my implant, today I bought my first outfit in size 14 (and I only moved up to a size 12 around 2 months ago!) and I feel that was the last straw. I've always been built thin (again like my mum and sister) and so to move up 3 dress sizes in such a short space of time (accompanied by some nasty stretchmarks!) isn't acceptable. People have also been pointing out how big I'm getting so quickly. My doctor insists it's not the implant, but everyone I know (except my mum!) has gotten much, much bigger, most even bigger than me, since getting the implant.

Additionally, my mood is terrible. I don't have 'mood swings' because I never swing into the positive, I'm always down, I always feel extremely tired and sluggish and I think this is all due to my implant. Also, my periods stopped completely except for 2 very long running ones, the first which was just after it was put in, which lasted 64 days. The second which has been ongoing for 8 weeks.

So, I want to have it taken out and I'm prepared to put up a fight with my doctor to get that. However, it's a very convenient and effective contraceptive which in a way makes me want to keep it, plus there is the added benefit of the possibility of going a year without a period (prior to the implant I had very heavy and painful periods).

My question is; has anyone had the Nexplanon (or Implanon) and had to move onto a different contraceptive? What did you move on to? Are there any horrible symptoms? Is the new method effective? None of the alternatives seem as convenient as the implant, but I can't keep gaining weight like this and keep going with these bad moods. I feel if I can get the implant out then I'm not going to be on a constant diet for no reason and I might actually see results.

Just a bit of information about me: I'm 20, I am 5ft 7, I weight 11 st 7 lb.

Thank you for any advice.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi CHARebecca

How did you get on with having the nexplanon implant taken out?

I am also in the same boat as you were 4 months ago. I have had the implant in since May 2012 and I have gained over 2 1/2 stone which I have had enough of, my periods were so irregular and my mood swings are terrible.

I am considering other contraception options.  What did you decide to do in the end and did the implant coming out help with weight loss?

Any advice would be great!

• Posted

Hi there,

Sorry for the very late reply!

I had the implant removed without problem. At first I wanted to go hormone-contraceptive free to see if my moods picked up but my doctor insisted that I go on the pill as 'condoms aren't reliable enough'. So I'm on Yasmin which is a combined pill.

Without dieting or any change in exercise I dropped 1 stone in about two months and now overall I've gone from 11st7 to 10st6 and the weight loss seems to have stopped completely. So I'm not down to my weight before the implant, but it's better. I'm having trouble losing any more weight even with dieting so I might have to accept that this is where I'll stay.

I noticed within a couple of days that my mood was better, and it was a strange feeling to feel noticably better! Like a huge weight had been lifted even though no other circumstances had changed.

The pill has been very effective, no problems so far. I get some bad headaches at night with it but I just sleep them off, and I got some painful stomach acid in the first month which went away (so might not have been due to the pill!) I also got my first migraine a couple of months ago which had me in bed for 3 days, but again, no proof that it was because of the pill.

I'm back to painful periods which is a big negative but they are only 5 days now (they were 7 before the implant) and they are so regular I know what day of the week they come on and it's been the same since the very first month.

Overall, a good change though I imagine going hormone-free is better but really not an option.

Hope everything is going better for you smile

• Posted

I had the implanon for 5 months and i would have gotten it out sooner if there wasnt such a long waiting list! This is the worst form of contraceptive ive had.

firstly i bled for 3 months straight before my doctor gave me microgynon to take with it to stop the bleeding. 

As if my mood swings werent bad enough this turned me crazy and fat. Like you im small built but my face and my ass blew up so much! I was constantly moody and had no sex drive plus i felt disgusting all day everyday. I wouldnt recommend it to anyone! 

In saying that though my friend had it for 6 years and thought it was fine.. I suppose everyones different

• Posted

I was the same with face and bum blowing up. My bum fat is the hardest thing to shift and now I hate it rolleyes

My face is round now and I have no idea how to lose weight around my face and tone away my double chin, so that sucks!

The most stupid thing of all though is that my thighs didn't really change but I got awful stretch marks on them rolleyes

I wouldn't recommend it at all rolleyes

• Posted

I'm also 20 and had the implant put in a year past February first wee while was on then started suffering constant bleeding stomach cramps and a lot of other issues however after having iron for a year I went back to the doctors and asked to get it taken out the next week they took it out and I now get the depo jag every 12 weeks and I have never had any problems again (I was on the depo jag before getting the implant as well and I do recommend it! X
    • Posted

Thanks for the adivce. I was going to go on the injection but my doctors wanted me to have the every-eight-weeks one which seemed like a hassel. I went on the pill and so far so good! Here's hoping it stays that way smile
    • Posted

good thing you didn't do the shot!  It's the same exact horomone that is in the nexplanon...pills are estrogen based which i think is better!
  • Posted

18 months later and I've gone from 11st 7lb to 9st 13lb without any change in my diet or exercise. I'm convinced it was the implant. I feel much better mood-wise as well! 
  • Posted

I had the nexplanon and absolutely hated it. I onl kept it about 4 months and it made me sick - nausea and vomiting. I was unable to lose weight with it. All of this AFTER getting over the spotting I had for a while with it. Taking it out didn't hurt, not even as much as having it put in. Since then I have tried the Nuvaring, which I'm sure I would have liked but it made me sick, and the pills, which i didn't like at all. Right now I'm on the Patch which has been fine so far but it doesn't work for a lot of people. I really would like to try Mirena, but I would advise Nuvaring or the patch out of the ones I've tried. Best of luck! 
  • Posted

I'm sure you've already picked a form of birth control that works for you by now.  I just wanted to say that your symptoms are EXACTLY what i went through!  It took only 6 months of having my Nexplanon for me to gain 20+ lbs. (which the doctor claimed had nothing to do with the implant...) and also i had no desire to be touched.  I had it removed only days ago and i feel better already!  Prior to this implant, i'd always taken Ortho-Tricyclen and had ZERO issues, not with weight or mood.  I'm going back to that. 
  • Posted

Hi Charlotte, I experienced the same problems. Excessive weight gain (almost 2 and a half stone) I've always been a slim build and the weight gain happened within 6/7 month! I have been so depressed and self conscious as stretch marks have also appeared on my hips and going down to my thighs. I got the implant removed 3 days ago and I am praying that I start to loose weight as I have also always been a slim build my face and bum have totally filled out and am sick of the 'You've plumped out' comments. Fingers crossed!!

• Posted

Hi Abbie 96,

Now, after a few months did you find you naturally lost any of the weight? I am waiting for mine to be removed. I worked really hard to lose 4st before I had nexplanon - only to have the implant in 10months ago and have put on 20lbs and quickly rising! 😞 Was hoping at least it stabilises and able to diet successfully to shift it. Curious what happened with you? I've had the mirena coil in already to replace it so I've got an overlap 😖

• Posted

Hi Charlotte,

I'm really glad I'm not alone in this situation! I had my first implant for three years and everything was fine I had no side effects at all! Until I had my second one put it... little did I know things were going to change drastically!!! I gained 3 stone in less than half a year I have extreme stretch marks all over my legs, bum, thighs. I'm disgusted in my body. Can't even look at myself anymore. I have no confidence anymore... I used to be a size 8-10 I'm now 14!!!

I have an appointment with the doctor to get it taken out, thank goodness!

Please if you are reading this, DONT DO IT!!!

• Posted

Hi Charlotte,

I'm hoping you can provide me with some positive news. I had my Nexplanon put in October 2016 after I had my daughter. My boyfriend and I were very confident in this birth control but knew there would be some negative side effects. However, I did not expect it to be this bad.

I am constantly in a terrible mood. Nothing I do can gerbil me out of a bad mood. I feel so bad for my boyfriend because he tries so hard to get me into a good mood and I feel like I'm always snapping for no reason.

I have zero sex drive. Before I got pregnant and even just weeks after having my daughter my boyfriend and I always had sex. I was always in the mood, always wanting to touch him and now I don't want anything. I don't think about sex at all, I never want to have sex and it's so hard to get me in the mood.

I feel like the worst girlfriend because I honestly just want to do anything and everything to make my boyfriend happy but this birth control makes me feel crazy. Please tell me life gets better after having this removed. And might I add my doctor is very hesitant about removing it. He told me I need to give my body time to adjust to the hormones but I can't take it anymore. I hate what's it's doing to myself and to my relationship. Please help 😔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.