MRI addendum 'fluid in the bases of lungs'

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello All,

I'm new here and have been reading lots of your posts in the hope that someone has been through something similar to me...

I'm 33, had an MRI of my spine that found evidence of Ankloysing Spondylitis. However, there was also an addendum on the results saying that there was a 'small amount of fluid found at the bases of your lungs' and they have lined up a chest X-Ray for me on Tuesday. Obviously I went straight to 'doctor Google' (not good, I know) and all that keeps popping up is either heart failure or lung cancer! (I have had no chest infections/pneumonia/chest trauma/infections/ coughs) Then I found this forum and it appears people have had fluid on their lungs that wasn't necessarily life threatening/ending.

I suppose what I'm really asking is if anyone can offer me any hope that they have been through the same thing and it turned out to be OK(ish!).

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello lisa18188.

I had no issues with my spine. It was all due to lung infection with me, mine started from throat infection. If you have plursey then x ray will show it. My lung still sore to a degree. You just need look after yourself and rest, the person with plursey looks well at times to others which may not be the case at all. I got a lot recurring throat infections. Hope your results are clear, however itl show the plursey if its there.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. It seems strange to say it, especially as I see how horrible it is for many of you on here, but I do have all my fingers crossed that it is pleurisy or something that isn't so serious as congestive heart failure or lung cancer. However, I am concerned that I don't have a single other 'respiratory' symptom that could explain this or make it fit with pleurisy. In fact, I have no symptoms other than back pain (which could be explained by my Ankloysing spondylitis) and this 'fluid' on my lungs.

Has anyone else out there had plural effusion without a single other symptom or apparent cause?

• Posted

Early stages when you went to bedI could only rest on certain position. It hurt moving, it was very positional. Mine was about 18 months ago. The bottom of my lung still hurts. They diagnosed mine by examination, the I had xray when it came back they said its clear, meaning no bigger issue. Did you have throat or chest infection. I had a bad flu that went that bit deeper, after that I just so sore in my right lung, I used to smoke, I went to a service to help me stop, I would be asked to blow into a carbonmoxide detector it hurt leaving out the breath few weeks before I was diagnosed. I would feel tightness breathing in, they were signs that was telling me something was wrong.
    • Posted

Hi Lisa, sorry to hear of your issue I can relate to this, the answer is yes sort of. I had a dreadful bout of flu in March. 2 lots of antibiotics then it cleared but left me with a pain in the side, doctor said I'd damaged a rib tendon or something so I left it. Middle of June starting getting short of breath and stabbing pains in my side, went to doctors and hospital and sure enough pleural effusion. They did many tests (X-Ray, CT scan and thoracentacis) and the conclusion was pneumonia. I've had a follow up X Ray under 2 weeks and still fluid is here. I'm also parried it's something awful. How are you doing now any further progress? Ben

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

I developed pneumonia on the 25th February, hospital one week, two weeks later ct scan then hospital again, lung collapsed due to fluid.

Hospial another week with drain inserted in the back for five days.

i still have fluid in the lower part of the lung but not much,

like you I was diagnosed with a slipped disc many years ago, but whilst in hospital the first time the pain came to the for.

I had horrendous muscle spasms really terrible pain.

Have been suffering with back pain ever since, pain because of inflammation around lower part of the lung, also lower back due to slipped disc, it's five months now....have put on the weight I lost, it's the back pain which is the most difficult to deal with.

It would be amazing to rid the spinal pain,

Gloria

• Posted

Hi lisa18188

I know what u have gone through or going through right now, I am the same I have had 2 bouts of pleurisy whitch was bad and nearly had to go into ICU.

Even tho I have been pleurisy free for the last 9 months I still have problems and now I have nerve damage in my Lower back where the fluid on the lung was.

It was was bad but u will get throug it. It takes a long time.

Hope u feel better soon

• Posted

Hello Jodie,

Interesting to know about the back pain.   My nightmare started on the 25th Feb, Pheumonia, fluid on the collapsed lung.

Two separate weeks in Hospital, where a drain was inserted for five days, to get rid of fluid.....This took three attempts before tube could be stitched to my back.

As if this wasn't enough, fluid was so congealed that saline was inserted into back, for five days the procedure took three hours twice a day, Awful....

Good news is I am back to my classes, and walking as much as possible, and tackling the garden and all the chores around the house.

But on waking I am riddled with pain, sounds just like yours, and sometimes whilst walking or basically anytime, no telling when the pain will come.

mornings I stretch and do exercises, this helps a great deal.

The pain I get is due to inflammation around the lower part of the right lung, and also a disc problem that has come back to haunt me.

I still have pleural thickening at the right base of lung, and small effusion close to the spine, this is not bad considering the severity of the infection, I was told.

Although my life is back thank God, I am now loosing a lot of hair, which was my crown and glory.....Very upsetting.....Doc says she is not surprised and that it will grow back......And to give it a couple of months.

Have booked a long Holiday in January.

Take Great Care.

Gloria, (Getting Their)

• Posted

Hi Gloria looking back at your problems u must of went through so much pain and discomfort but I am glad your back to normal or as much as u can.

I have been ill for 18 months now from start to finish and still no were near back to normal yet. I have had all the X-Ray's CT scans still waiting on MTI still waiting. As well as all of my pain I have been going through I have lost 7 and a half stone I have just stopped eating and the docs can't find why I have lost so much. One thing the have found is I have very low white blood cells so now I am going to be on antibiotics for quite a long time.

Im slowly getting better but it's going to take a very long time and my nerve damage is never going to get better just have to try and learn to live with it.

Big hugs xxx

• Posted

Hi Jodie,

So much weight loss incredible, I just hope y,ou were very overweight to start with.

Jodie I lost one and a half stone, but I always ate nearly every meal.  It's the only way to become strong again.

im sure it paid off because as you know your body is so fighting the infection that's where the calories go directly after the illness.

I am now back to my normal weight 9 stone 7lbs, went to JOGA this morning. Started back at the beginners class....I just do what my back will allow.

Sharp nerve pains lower sides of back.....Just hope it gets better.

Do try to eat Jodie otherwise you won't get better

Do eat Jodie I try to eat very healthily nuts fruit, and also dried fruit, lots of veg, meat,and fish, Yogurts most days.

I love my food, 

• Posted

Jodie I have more white cells than red.,and was diagnosed with Sjogren an autoimune disorder, causing dry eyes and mouth basically, this was a few years ago, you of course are more likely to catch colds flue and it seems Pheumonia.

x

• Posted

Hi Gloria I was about 15/16 stone before I got ill I was over weight but I'm tall so I pulled it off lol.

I weighted myself today and have gone up to 10stone I only seem to eat 1 meal a day if that I got to take one of thos build up milkshakes from the doctors.

I was at the dietitian 2 weeks ago and she is happy with the way I'm going. But she said my diet has to includ anything that's not diet based but I just don't fancy anything at all really.

I wish I was able to do something like that but my body dose not let me I am only 31 with 2 young kids to look after well they are 8 and 10.

I just try to get out once a day I call it my Daly walk lol.

I am glad u are getting there slowly it just takes a long time and a lot of patience xx

• Posted

Hi Gloria I only got told this in March but apparently I have had this since 2003.

I have had in the last 18 months 2 bouts of pleurisy and a round of pheumonia I have been hospitalised 4 times .

I am now scared about going out anywhere incase I chatch anything lol

• Posted

Jodie, Well that sounds good I guess you did have some weight to loose.

Secret is to eat three times a day, Never go without a meal....porridge is good or muesli with added seeds and nuts and perhaps a banana. All this is good for you, try to eat a large meal at lunch time, plenty of kale, carrots, beans, peas, etc with fish or meat omelette, followed by fruits of the forest, frozen) is good, and maybe yogurt.

Evening...maybe eggs, cheese on toast, protein of sorts, followed by fruit.

Make lots of vegetable soup as a standby.

you will soon feel better if you eat regularly...

Hope this helps.

Very Best Wishes

Gloria.

• Posted

Thank u Gloria for all the advice I will try all of this. I try to have porridge for breakfast it's cold here in Scotland so it sticks to my ribs lol.

I know I need to try but I just can't seem to eat 3 meals a day 1 if that . The love of food has gone don't know how or where.

I have a psychology that helps me so hope she can help me now I now I need the help.

Big hugs thank u for the advice xx

• Posted

I've been having middle back pain and chest pain for 18 months, recent abdominal ct scan revealed the same as you fluid in the base, I wouldn't have known about it had I not persisted in getting results. I have no idea what it is either same as you, no chest infection, no coughing just persistent pain. Have should joint pain at night too so am so worried now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.