MRI Results

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been dealing with left shoulder pain for over 7 months and after trying all the conventional and natural remedies, my GP finally ordered a MRI. Results came in and she said it was " pretty bad". Referred me to an Ortho surgeon and my appt is June 8th.

I've been following this group for a few months and since most of you seem to know what's going on, I wanted to see what some of you think about these MRI results.

Here it is:

1. Moderate tendonosis of the supraspinatus tendons with a low grade bursal surface and interstitial tearing of the supraspinatus tendon insertion and low grade interstitial tearing of the infraspinatus tendon insertion.

2. Probable high- grade partial articular surface tearing of the superior fibers of the subscapularis tendon resulting in slight medial subluxation of the long head of the biceps tendon. Tendinosis of the intra-articular portion of the long head of the biceps tendon

3. Small, nondisplaced/detachment of the posterior labrum.

4. Mild subcromial and subdeltoid bursitis.

Any thoughts?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Where do you live? There are only a few surgeons who can tackle a posterior labral tear. Let me know and I'll try and recommend one.

How did you manage to sustain this much damage?

• Posted

Hello jeanlaw131

Gosh, what a long list of what the MRI has revealed.  I was going to ask you the same question asked by thechefshat!

I saw an ortho surgeon who did an ultrasound scan which showed a 25mm tear of my supraspinatus and and moderate tendonitis and bursitis for which I had a

guided cortizone injection.

I was referred for physiotherapy to start with, given that I am 73, and that if this didnt help, then I could opt for surgery but have decided against surgery.

From all the damages you have sustained it seems surgery might be an option for you.

Hope all goes well when you see the surgeon.

• Posted

I live in the Dallas/Fort worth area. I am a caretaker for my 22 yo nephew with a traumatic brain injury. It's 24/7 work with lots of pulling, lifting, and pushing etc. I noticed the pain started in October after 2 months of starting to care for him. So, I'm sure that has a lot to do with the damage.
  • Posted

So sorry you are dealing with all that pain. My experience with all this has taught me that nothing is a definate when it comes to shoulders. My MRI said I had a labral tear, but I did not. I did have a more severe tear than my ortho thought, but didn't realize until I had the arthroscopic scope done. At which time he stitched and anchored a torn supraspinatus tendon. As well as an acriominoplasty, and a "debriding" of a number of spurs. I also had a number of "itis" issues, which were probably a result of the aforementioned issues. Keep in mind that in the event you choose surgery over therapy (and you may not have an option, I don't know), you will need time for recovery . It is quite painful so make sure to follow all the surgical and post surgical guidelines you may be given. The care you give your nephew may not be possible for some time after any surgery. In the event the ortho states therapy, follow the therapy religiously and be good to yourself. It takes a long long time for shoulders to heal. I tried the therapy, but to no avail. The doc will determine what he thinks is best for you. Do a lot of reading on the medical issues you now have. Perhaps that will guide your decisions on treatment. Keep us posted. Wishing you the best of health. God bless!
  • Posted

Thanks, Rochelle. I have been reading a lot and do know the recovery time is long. Will have to make other arrangements for the care of my nephew. I hate to do it, but I can't take this pain and especially the pain at night!
    • Posted

I know, the nights are hard. Tuesday I will be 8 weeks post op. Nights are still difficult, I wake up hurting, but I have graduated since the surgery by going to sleep in my own bed vs. the recliner. (If you have surgery, you need a recliner wink ). I just wake up after 4 or so hours of sleep and then go to the recliner with the hope of catching a few more z's, and I usually do. Therapy is painful, but I have regained some rom. The therapist says I'm making progress, but apparently I'm just not healing as fast as "I " want to. He is pretty confident that I just need to be patient and it will get better. So, again, wishing the best for you!
  • Posted

Just thought I would give an update on my shoulder. After several cortisone shots, therapy and rest, I have decided to go to surgery. It is scheduled on October 28 and I do believe this is the right decision. 

I am now preparing in advance for this time. I have purchased a recliner and have borrowed an ice therapy machine from a friend. Other than that, can you think of anything else I need to make things easier post op? 

• Posted

Hi, sorry to gate-crash here. I have severe pains in my right shoulder, i had subcromial decompression surgery 7 years ago to remove calcium deposits which showed up clearly during ultra-sound. I was wondering if this is normal for the calcium to return.

I swim 5 days a week, all front crawl and at a quick pace, also play golf. Would this be anything to do with it ?

Rgds

Stephen.

• Posted

First of all, where were your calcium deposits? Were they inside your rotator cuff tendons? Subacromial decompression is not the same thing as calcium deposit removal. Yo may have been given decompression to alleviate the effect of the calcium deposits, but if they were not removed, then they may still be there - as opposed to returning.

When was your last scan? If you have calcium deposits now, they probably should be removed now - surgically.

• Posted

This is where im getting confused. As far as I remember the op was to remove calcium deposits, but certainly was SD keyhole surgery i received. The deposits were on my rotor-cuff, when i received an mri/ultra-sound the orthoapdedic surgeon showed me 6 different areas, mri results confirmed this.

Im only starting the process tomorrow by visiting my gp. The pain is getting unbearable and sleeping is difficult

Thanks

Stephen

• Posted

Get it rescanned - MRI preferrably, or ultrasound if that's all they'll offer

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.