MRI this morning, AVN in non-THR hip, core decompression

Posted , 7 users are following.

The results blindsided son. Sadly, he is taking it out on me. I can handle it - I have lived most of my life already, and he is my only child.

At least he was able to decide to go ahead with this, and we are waiting to hear from the scheduler.

Has anyone had this procedure, where they drill into the femoral head and place an implant, hoping to stimulate circulation and regrowth? 

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge

3 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That is wrenching news for a young man, and directly on the heels of a THR, too. I don't know anything about the procedure you mention, I just wanted to say that I am sorry for this happening to your dear son! I hope it works as planned and it can counteract the AVN. All the best to you both!
    • Posted

Mahalo, Annie. Yes, he's beside himself. Yesterday, he said he might rather get an RTHR and get it over with. But we know he's not there yet. He IS where a lot of you hippies have been, though. 

I have gone through several health issues with him recently, so maybe I am a bit numb. "Oh, here's another thing." smh

Annie, I thank you for all your good wishes.

• Posted

I, too, have a young adult child with many physical and mental health issues of a serious nature. It is very difficult, and while we love our kids very much, I think that we necessarily eventually get to a point where we don't get as emotionally upset about things. If we did, we couldn't cope! You are doing a wonderful job supporting your son, Soos! Keep on posting, we are with you!
    • Posted

I'm so sorry I just saw this, Annie. I give you credit for trying to recover your health while helping your child. I am sure you get the "why me?" questions, and what do you answer to that? If we could wave a magic wand...

Annie, mahalo for your kindness and supportive words.

• Posted

All I can say to your son is CHIN UP, SHOULDERS BACK. This too will pass
    • Posted

I appreciate it, Annie. And I'm thinking of you in your journey of recovery, too.
  • Posted

Oh dear Soos, 

so sorry to hear this - 

It is a good thing though that he agreed to go ahead with the procedure - It must be devastating and not really contribute to his emotional well being - 

And maybe this is what needs to happen for him to get back his physical strength and from there his emottional balance - 

Must be overwhelming for you as well - Are you going to stay with him or going home as planned and come back for surgery - 

I didn't have this procedure so can't answer your question - sometimes we just have to have faith - sending loving rays and prayers to both of you

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thank you, Renee. He just shouted at me. He is trying to apply for jobs and wondering what will happen if his hip gives out after he moves and is on the job.

I calmly told him we should ask his surgeon here for recommendations in the Pacific Northwest. 

He is very sensitive, Renee. Maybe age has made me less so. Just rolling with the punches. Someone has to be strong. 

We are waiting to hear for a date. If it is soon, I'll stay. If it's late May, I'll come back. Wait and see.

Thank you for your insight - as always! Hope someone in the forum at large will have had this.

I am thinking of you, Renee. Are you better at all?

• Posted

Oh Soos .... I witnessed many of those outbursts from my dear friend towards his mother too - she was just as wise as you are - of course it hurts at times, but she too was the only one he could yell at - he was yelling and angry at the whole world at that point but only felt safe with her - I had many talks with her - My friend was a big guy and to feel helpless and not able to do "normal" things he could not handle at times - tought times darling, tough times - 

great that Antonio showed up here, huh ... same age - 

Aloha - know that you both are loved and cared for

renee

• Posted

I don't know about wise, Renee. Son and I have been through so much. I just have to let son vent, and I'm the only one around. 

Mahalo for the kind wishes, Renee. Your words help. Be well.

• Posted

I'm returning to this, Renee, because I didn't address it properly. I am so sorry about your friend. I can imagine both you and his mother fellt helpless with him, also. 

Hope you are progressing. Mahalo.

• Posted

It's not your fault that he has bad hips and him shouting at you places HIM in a very bad light. I hope he realises that?
    • Posted

sigh. Annie, I'm a tough woman and can usually take what he dishes out. It is MY fault that he's a spoiled child, an only child. Sometimes he apologizes. He is hurting - mentally, psychologically - too much right now. We are just kind of walking around each other for now. It IS sad because right now I'm the only one he can depend on and talk to, as he is keeping his friends at a distance. (Well, they ARE in Hawaii & Florida anyway.) Thank you for standing up for me, Annie. I know you're a mom. I'm cutting him a break because I don't want things to escalate. Mahalo. How are YOU doing?
    • Posted

I suppose it's easy to take his frustration out on you because he knows he is safe with you in that respect.

I'm doing just fine. Went to gym again yesterday - it does me so much good.

• Posted

Glad you found an outlet, Annie, and that you're fit enough to get some exercise. Should I hop on an exercise bike in the building fitness room and show my son how it's done? (j/k!)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.