MS, depression and anxiety, still trying to work

Posted , 2 users are following.

I find it getting really hard to get thru a work week. I have dropped my hours from 40 to 30 hrs. I'm a cashier at a store and stand on my feet for 8 hrs. I can feel my anxiety getting worse with every day I work. I'm in constant pain. I have bulging discs(t6-t10) and my c2\c3 are fused together. I have started not being able to make it to the bathroom in time and I have to wear under garments. I contently worry if I will have an accident. I'm not sure what I should do? Can anyone help?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You really could do with seeing an occupational therapist, regarding your options and what might be done to help you. Make sure that your doctors know that you're dealing with so much pain, look at pain relief options. Perhaps they could refer you to your nearest pain clinic? After dealing with a lot of pain, for a long time, I did need to start taking nortriptyline, which both helped me get some perspective/feel more in control AND added to my pain relief regimen. Would it not be possible to sit while you work, all employers must make reasonable adjustments to help employees.
    • Posted

I have been to a pain clinic since I have problems taking meds that contains NSAIDS(due to kidney issues) but they only tried muscle relaxers and they didn't help. I was on nortriptyline for migraines but my neurologist took me off of it. I have asked my manager about a stool to sit on when down time is available and she said the owner doesn't allow them. Thank you for the idea about contacting a occupational therapist . I will try to find one in my area.
    • Posted

Try contacting social services, they'll direct you to the right department. Youll most likely get allocated an OT, who'll be in charge of your case. This also creates a paper trail, about your needs. Remember, we do have rights, not allowing for reasonable adjustments at work would be disability discrimination, woe betide the employer who rocks THAT boat.

It took quite a while for me to end up on meds that actually helped me. You could try talking to a pharmacist about what meds might be suitable for you to try. It really sounds as if you need re-refering to the pain clinic.

Are you getting any physiotherapy? In the early days, before getting on the right meds, I had some acupuncture, once a week, on the NHS, it helped me to sleep, because it really reduced my pain AND muscle spasms. I've had a prolapsed disc, I know it's no minor thing, please seek more medical help, keep trying different things. Are you taking any antidepressants, I'm not surprised you're feeling anxious, rally all the troops you can, OT, MS nurse (if you don't have one, ask to be referred), pain clinic, GP, neurologist, maybe try to speak to citizens advice bureau (?!) regarding your rights as a disabled employee.

Above all, try to start doing a written record of anything and everything, it's useful for your own information and to take to medical appointments.

Sorry I've rambled a bit... X

• Posted

Thanks for replying, I'm on cymbalta, clonapan, doxepin, plegridy and provigil. The meds seem to help but I still have really bad days where depression and anxiety get me. My main concern is that Im a wife and mother of three kids and there are days where the family wants to go somewhere but I can't without having the fear I'll be in too much pain to enjoy family time. I have been dealing with the thought of trying for disability but can't live off one income. I feel I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place... sad
    • Posted

I don't know the meds that you're on, but it seems to me that if you have a noteable amount of those really bad days, then it could well serve you to go and reevaluate whether or not your meds need 'tweaking'. With regard to your anxiety and depression, if you feel like you're not in enough control of your physical and/or emotional symptoms, then perhaps you could be in need of tweaking any antidepressants you take, too. I do know what its like when it feels like everything's spiralling out of control.

Re possible move onto benefits (where I am), citizens advice bureau can advise. You could apply for ESA(I forget what it stands for, it replaced incapacity benefit) and you can apply for Disability Living Allowance. You can also consider applying for housing benefit, free or reduced prescriptions.

It's a pain to go through the shift from work to benefits and there are plenty of 'hoops' to jump through on the way, but hearing where you are at the moment, it's looking as if you might be at that point. It's in an unfortunate fact, that those if us with galloping MS, just have to keep reevaluating and being REALLY pragmatic, hey-ho!

• Posted

Thank you for understanding what I'm going thru. I have a doctors appointment Thursday hopefully I can get some answers.

I will keep you posted on how the appointment goes.

Thanks again for listening to me and giving great advice

• Posted

I'm happy to 'chat', definitely let me know how your Dr appointment goes, maybe you can ask about possible counselling, it can sometimes help to speak with someone separate from your life.

I understand a lot of what you're dealing with, I'm just further down the road... Definitely get as much help as possible, in ALL areas of your life. I keep forgetting to mention, the UK MS society's forum is a great place to get support and information about MS. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.