MS symptoms, MRI

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I have for the last 7 weeks had strong leg pain only in the right leg, and mainly during the night. It feels like the bone in my leg aches, and my foot is numb, two toes cannot be felt. And there is also occasional stabbing pain in the same leg at random locations. My right hand is numb sometimes. I went to the doctor, he said I should have an MRI of the brain.

Now I am wondering if this could be MS? And suddenly I`m connecting other things to it. Such as my bladder, I feel it is full at night, but I dont feel like going to the toilet, it is just as a pain in my stomach. During the day I feel like peeing every time I stand up. Sometimes I forget I already went to the toilet 2 min before I`m there again.

I also see things not so clear when I go into the cold, and when I get in from the cold. 

A few months ago I mixed up stange words several times during a month, like this "I saw the picture (I said picnic)" Words that have the same letters, but not the same meaning at all! Weird!

Are these any symptoms others here have experienced with MS? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have you had your B12 tested? Your symptoms sound like they could be a B12 deficiency. Does pernicious anemia run in your family?

Doctors may tell you your B12 is normal when it really is low. Anything under 450 pg/mL (ng/L in the UK) should be investigated further and treated, especially since you are experiencing neurological symptoms.

• Posted

Hi,

thanks so much for your reply. Actually I did a blood test to measure the B12 levels as well, and will get the results from this next week. I will remember that anyting under 450 is low, thanks for this advice! smile 

• Posted

You may have to fight your doctor to get treatment if you aren't below the minimum threshold. A naturopathic doctor may be more willing to treat you if you are B12 deficient. Depends where you live as to what they are permitted to do. I'm in California and they can give B12 shots. If you find you are deficient I'd recommend calling some NDs in your area to find out if they can administer shots and the cost.
    • Posted

My blood tests came back, and the B12 level was 301. I also got the information that this was normal and nothing to worry about. Actually she said anything above 170 is normal. Also they tested my homocystein levels, and those were said to be normal (dont know the value). Vitamin D 70 and Ferritin 45 (both said to be normal). Maybe I should take som B12 supplements to get those levels higher? Still waiting for the MRI. smile
    • Posted

Normal should be in the 900s. Yours is low, unfortunately not low enough to trigger treatment by a traditional doctor. A naturopathic doctor would probably start treating you since it is below 450. In Japan that is considered the low threshold. And you are showing neurological symptoms which is a very real concern. There is a book titled Could It Be B12, available at Amazon and perhaps your library, that talks about the normal ranges being outdated and below 450 should be investigated as it is getting low.

If you do supplement, you need to be off it for 2 months to get an accurate test. Before starting supplementation, will your doctor test you for intrinsic factor antibodies and parietal cell antibodies? If either of those are positive then you have pernicious anemia and it is only a matter of time before your B12 drops further and your symptoms intensify. Also get your folate tested. Methylmalonic acid (MMA) is a test your doctor should have done in addition to homocysteine. If MMA is elevated then you are B12 deficient. Elevated homocysteine can be caused by several things, including B12 deficiency, so it is not as definitive as MMA.

My B12 was 196 (just barely under the threshold of 200 my doctor used) and I had SEVERE neurological symptoms. My doctor didn't believe my symptoms were caused by that level but he was wrong. Everyone's body is a little different, some may feel fine at 200 and others have neuro problems at 350.

You may want to try some B12 supplements but if you have pernicious anemia you won't absorb much through your stomach. Get sublinguals instead (go under your tongue) and get some in higher doses (like 2000 mcg).

B12 deficiency risks: long term use of PPIs or H2 blockers, vegan/vegetarian, gastric surgery, pernicious anemia runs in the family.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.