MUA and Arthroscopic Adhesiolysis....anyone?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I'm 14 weeks post TKR and I've been told today that I need an MUA and arthroscopic Adhesiolysis. I have an extension of -30 and a bend of 80. Prior to surgery I had -30/50 so it has improved, obviously not enough though as I'm still in pain due to the angle of it.

I had a complicated surgery and don't just have the 'normal' TKR prosthesis. I have some other bits to strengthen the leg. My surgery took almost 4 hours.

I am actually really relieved that I need further surgery as I was starting to think I had done something wrong. My consultant said he considers it urgent for various reasons (one being I'm only 36 so the longer it's left, my muscles will strengthen considerably).

Whilst I know all about MUA, I haven't read about anyone else on here needing the Adhesiolysis (which is basically cutting the muscle away from where it's stuck). Has anyone had to have this done?

I have been told they hope to do this by keyhole but they may need to open up the leg again to reach parts.

I'm just interested to hear if this has been successful for anyone else.

Kath x

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I haven't had this as a special proceedure but the last 3 times I've had the knee opened they have done a small amount of adhesion repair. When I have my new knee inserted next month They will have more to do as I will have been immobilized for nearly 4 months and all of the scar tissue build up h@ to be torn loose. One of the people in therapy with me had to have hers redone through open wound surgery although not as much of an opening as the tkr. She was enthusiastic about the results as she said it made recovery much easier
    • Posted

Thanks for that, it's good to hear. No matter what I try with physio my leg will just not straighten. I'm sure it can only improve things for me. I'm actually quite looking forward to getting on with it in a strange sort of way. I bet you feel like that with having to wait in limbo for your next procedure.
  • Posted

Not heard of this I'm afraid kathryn.

Good luck with it anyway.

A bend of 80 at 14 weeks is not good.

When I saw consultant at 6 weeks he said bend had to be 90 by then and I JUST got there by the skin of my teeth.

Take care and keep in touch

Praying for you

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

Kathryn, I had my TKR Feb.27 and my ROM was only 62. I had a MUA May 4th and today at PT I was 98. Slow but sure. I don't know about the other procedure you mentioned, but manipulation helped me. Good luck smile
  • Posted

Wow Kathryn you sound very strong good luck with it hopefully all goes well...

This is also my fear I saw my Surgeon this week at 8 weeks and my bend is only 60degrees went from 70 to 60 and hobbling there with numerous times the knee seizing up. He told me I will need to have MUA the scar tissues and tightness I'm getting isn't improving and the sooner the better being young and active and he doesn't want to leave it to late as it becomes more difficult, so I'm doing it next week (Fri).

I had faith the TKR would fix the original issue I had but didn't, my fear is if the MUA doesn't work will I be back again for further surgery..??

So right now I'm just trying to stay positive that the MUS will fix it...

• Posted

I'll keep everything crossed that the MUA works for you. Im hearing mostly positive things about it. My surgeon was really realistic with it and did go through the potential pitfalls. The way I look at it though, the likes of you and I are struggling already so there is a good chance it should help us.

They already know that I need the additional procedure so I'm hopeful that both will help me. If I don't do these then the outcome is definitely not good for me. The complicated TKR already equates to a third revision for me, even though this is my first. As my leg is already so bent, it only has one way to go unless they can straighten it.

Please keep me posted on how you get on and I'll do the same.

Thanks for replying x

• Posted

Hope everything goes OK for you this time.

Take care and keep in touch

Praying for you

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

I'm also getting some kind of adjustable brace next week that I wear for 30 minutes at a time which should increase bend. I'll keep you posted!
  • Posted

Kathyrn, just curious as to how you are doing and what procedure they did after your surgery.

• Posted

Suzanne I've just replied on your other post. I'm really pleased to hear about the JAS. Its never been considered for me, I was put on a cpm machine and I know that's what they're going to use in 4 weeks too. My issue with this though is that I didn't feel it helped with my straightening at all last time, it was better with the bend. From what I know about the brace you're using (which isn't much) it works like a medieval rack, gradually stretching. I think that would be much better for me. I'm going to speak to my surgeon & PT (I'm seeing physio tomorrow).

I really appreciate your update, it's lovely to hear a positive story xx

• Posted

Yes...do ask. Funny people's different opinions. My surgeon isn't a fan of the com machine but maybe that is just Kaiser. The brace works on the bend and can be set up for straightening as well from what I understand. I am lucky that I am straight. Good luck to you. Let us know how you do. 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.