Multiple relapses after Venlafaxine dose increases

Posted , 3 users are following.

For the past 5 years I have been taking 150mg of Venlafaxine every day, and it controlled my depression perfectly. But after a few years I tapered it down, and foolishly let it go down to only 37.5mg

Three months ago, while abroad, my depression relapsed. I increased the dosage up to 75mg, and after a week the depression went away.

Then 6 weeks ago the depression relapsed again, and I increased the dose to 150mg, and after a week the depression went away.

But 4 days ago the depression has relapsed again, and is still with me. My doctor has put the dose up to 225mg.

What's going on? Is this rise to 225mg going to sort it out? I'm quite worried about it, because could it be the case that the Venlafaxine is pooping out on me (ceasing to be effective)? And since I had been on Escitalopram for the 5 years prior to that (which also stopped working) is there a chance that nothing will work for me, and that I'll remain suffering the effects of depression permanently?

(although my doctor says that Venlafaxine does not poop out).

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

When I had worsening depression while on 225mg venlafaxine, I was afraid that the psychiatrist would tell me to stop taking it before starting me on something else, but instead he added on mirtazapine - 15mg then upped to 30mg, and that was very effective. I've been on the combination very happily for over 6 years now, and have had no major relapses. I also had counselling and CBT which helped me to find my own "coping mechanisms" to bring into play if I feel a slight dip in my mood, and that has helped a lot too. So don't despair, I'm sure there is a way through for you. Incidentally I haven't had any of the weight gain people often associate with these antidepressants either, so that's not inevitable.

• Posted

Thanks pixie22 - that's reassuring smile

In fact I started on 15mg Mirtazapine last night, and it helped me sleep virtually all night. The depression pain has reduced, though I guess that is due to the extra Venlafaxine rather than the Mirtazapine, because no antidepressants take effect that quickly, do they?

I am not 100%, and the depression comes back if I try to think about anything complicated, so I won't be able to return to work just yet.

The world still has the "bleak" look to it though.

• Posted

Hi

I was just reading your previous post and you mentioned depression 'pain.' Is this your take on how you felt? I'm interested that's all.

I'm reducing ven with huge difficulty and hope one day to be off completely.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.